• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2/16 Friday Challenge: Seeing Red

Who wore it best?

• merick

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • KingPSQ

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Andy57

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Alocin

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • TheForeigner

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Bentley

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done!

When I seen this challenge I thought it would definitely be difficult one. I own probably zero red items because I hardly ever see it look good, but this outfit proves me wrong.
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Also, I'm wearing this today, as it is New Year's Eve in the Chinese lunar calendar. Another excuse to wear red, if one were needed. Also, not my entry in this week's challenge!
IMG_0048.jpg

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Smashing, Andy.

Of course, I have a quibble. :) How do you feel about cummerbunds? I think that would be a better choice for this jacket so that you could have an uninterrupted shirtfront above the jacket button. Obviously, YMMV, etc., but I think it would kick this up from great to impeccable.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Smashing, Andy.

Of course, I have a quibble. :) How do you feel about cummerbunds? I think that would be a better choice for this jacket so that you could have an uninterrupted shirtfront above the jacket button. Obviously, YMMV, etc., but I think it would kick this up from great to impeccable.
That's a good point. I am not opposed to cummerbunds, and I have one. I've not worn it much recently, but I might try that next time I wear this jacket.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate that.

Also, I'm wearing this today, as it is New Year's Eve in the Chinese lunar calendar. Another excuse to wear red, if one were needed. Also, not my entry in this week's challenge!
View attachment 926126
Much as I love the red DJ, this entry is more interesting and I'd vote for it. Gong xi fa cai!

Bentley

Reaction score
If I’d planned ahead I woulda worn my red Carter Page hat. Woulda won easily!

carter-page-red-hat-470x470.jpg

**** yeah!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore this red tie on Saturday. I have mixed feelings about the tie with this jacket, but kind of like it. I've gotten positive feedback on the combo on IG. Curious what SF thinks.

09F35C03-5A9C-4231-A9E0-4C3F7720175F.jpeg

12A39F15-10A5-4C4F-BB8D-D6F7C9C19840.jpeg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't work for me. Especially with the navy trousers, even though there is navy in the tie. As it stands the tie, trousers, and PS look like they are living in the 4th dimension while the rest is safely in the 3rd.

I don’t disagree about the navy. It’s a bit distracting for the question at hand. Cropped for reconsideration. It may not change your thoughts of course.
BB50CF5B-33B1-4264-B3A8-EEE858DE45C3.jpeg

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cropped image doesn’t work for me but I’m still trying to take it holistically. So that means asking what trousers might have worked with the top half? Not many I’d guess. So then my attention turns to the white shirt and the tie. Too much contrast for my liking, but the tie also clashes with the pattern of the jacket. Here’s why. The tie is bright but not busy. The jacket is busy but not bright. So even if the jacket echoed the color of the tie in some way it still wouldn’t look right because of the dusty antique look of the jacket’s pattern. Ties like the one you’re wearing look best with navy blazers, I think, because the darkness of the jacket mellows a little of the contrast and because it provides a solid, dark, foreground for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics