or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear) - Page 1088

post #16306 of 31079

A) Louboutins are a women's fashion brand. The quality:price ratio is awful compared to other more traditional options.
B) the patent leather, or patent leather elements, is just awful. Maybe if you're trying to be really loud in a club, but that's about it.
C) aside from the (awful) patent leather element, there's really nothing special about the designs there which is all your money would be going towards.

Conclusion: seek something else.
post #16307 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibonius View Post


Go for these. You can wear them for most occasions - from work to evenings out - and go with most outfits - from dark denim to chinos to sportcoats to suits. You can also have them resoled every 5 years so they should last you about 12-15 years:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/products/alfred-sargent-exeter-1
post #16308 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermeshomme View Post

what do you suggest?

You have great shoe threads here to start learning. But I would go after quality and fine handwork then ''brand'' This all depends on your taste and you seem to like all the big ''fashion'' brands more. 

 

If I write for myself I would start low as Crockett & Jones or something to learn and appreciate shoes. But if you wanna go straight up and pay those prices why not Gaziano & Girling, then you have a shoe for the rest of your life instead of those crappy brand names with no quality at all.

post #16309 of 31079
Does anyone still uses mothballs? I have never seen or noticed moth eaten clothes until yesterday while cleaning out a closet . Tiny little holes on a some wool pants I never wore (I had two of the same, hardly wore one of them, so no need for other ever).

Now I am freaking out worried some of my jackets and suits that get little use will be eaten. I cleaned out all my closets and drawers and will now look for some preventive measures.
post #16310 of 31079
^Cedar chips. The oil in them that gives them the scent drives off moths, and doesn't smell awful like mothballs.
post #16311 of 31079

(Posted this in Carmina x Epaulet, reposting here) What are the benefits of Dainite soles? Why not just always opt for leather soles? Also, am I mistaken in having believed that there was a sort of taboo around rubber soles when it came to higher tiers of men's shoes?

 

Finally, do Dainite soles have a hard heel that "clicks" similar to the hard rubber heel portion of leather soles?

post #16312 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglett View Post

(Posted this in Carmina x Epaulet, reposting here) What are the benefits of Dainite soles? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Why not just always opt for leather soles? Also, am I mistaken in having believed that there was a sort of taboo around rubber soles when it came to higher tiers of men's shoes?

Finally, do Dainite soles have a hard heel that "clicks" similar to the hard rubber heel portion of leather soles?

they are good in rain. no taboo. dunno about the clicking....
post #16313 of 31079

Fine mens braclets, pearls, tree, were?

post #16314 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

Fine mens braclets, pearls, tree, were?
I don't fully understand the question, but assuming one is expected to reply in a similar fashion, I'll go with:

Leather bombing jaket, platinum, lamp, upon!
post #16315 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345Michael54321 View Post


I don't fully understand the question, but assuming one is expected to reply in a similar fashion, I'll go with:
Leather bombing jaket, platinum, lamp, upon!

What? For the arm, I search for a good online webshop that's sells them?

post #16316 of 31079

i doubt he is looking for something like this.

btw your math about duration is based on a full refurb with stitched soles. there are other possibilities out there.
post #16317 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampton View Post

You have great shoe threads here to start learning. But I would go after quality and fine handwork then ''brand'' This all depends on your taste and you seem to like all the big ''fashion'' brands more. 

If I write for myself I would start low as Crockett & Jones or something to learn and appreciate shoes. But if you wanna go straight up and pay those prices why not Gaziano & Girling, then you have a shoe for the rest of your life instead of those crappy brand names with no quality at all.

Very good advice.
post #16318 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale View Post

Does anyone still uses mothballs? I have never seen or noticed moth eaten clothes until yesterday while cleaning out a closet . Tiny little holes on a some wool pants I never wore (I had two of the same, hardly wore one of them, so no need for other ever).

Now I am freaking out worried some of my jackets and suits that get little use will be eaten. I cleaned out all my closets and drawers and will now look for some preventive measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post

^Cedar chips. The oil in them that gives them the scent drives off moths, and doesn't smell awful like mothballs.

The best preventative measure for moths is ensuring that you are not storing soiled clothes because moths are attracted to food stains and such on the clothes. Both moth balls and cedar will repel moths, but both are required in pretty serious concentrations and the effectiveness of both will fade pretty quickly. I keep my most expensive suits clean and in canvas suit bags.
post #16319 of 31079
Quote:
Originally Posted by diglett View Post

(Posted this in Carmina x Epaulet, reposting here) What are the benefits of Dainite soles? Why not just always opt for leather soles? Also, am I mistaken in having believed that there was a sort of taboo around rubber soles when it came to higher tiers of men's shoes?

Finally, do Dainite soles have a hard heel that "clicks" similar to the hard rubber heel portion of leather soles?

The most formal shoes such as opera pumps do not traditionally have rubber soles. I don't think it's the rubber portion of a combination heel that "clicks" when you walk. Shoes with Dainite soles typically have a full rubber heel rather than a combination heel.
post #16320 of 31079

Noob question =

 

Do most people have a different sizing that they wear in dress shoes as opposed to casual shoes?

 

I wear an 8 usually for both dress shoes and casual shoes. For dress shoes, 8 tends to be a little big depending on the brand, though I just lace up up really snug, so it's not much of an issue. Recently, I purchased 2 casual "dress shoes" in size 8 and they both ran a half size large (both are long at over 1 inch space past toes, so that's the bigger issue). Without thick crew socks, I don't think they'd fit properly. I still ended up having to really lace them up to get them snug, but I'm wondering if I should really be getting my dress shoes in size 7.5 or 7 (rarely see either of these sizes though). In part, I guess I don't even know when a shoe is considered "too big."

 

I've been amassing shoes over the past year as I have updating my wardrobe and it would suck if I was wearing the wrong size. Live and learn I guess, but would still suck.


Edited by amathew - 7/31/12 at 10:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)