• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how many shoes for a rotation

kmwrestle

Reaction score
All my life i have always just gone to dsw, picked up a pair of shoes and wore them every day till they practically were falling apart. Well after a promotion my appearance is much more in the spotlight. I work 5-6 days a week(9-14 hrs a day) and need to be dressed up every day. How many pairs of shoes would be considered a good rotation with that frequent wear. I am also 400lbs so i put alot more abuse than normal)(please no jabs i have gone on a strict diet to try to lose the weight and have been on it for the past week and a half, so i am trying)
I have been on styleforum on and off for a year and have bought a couple pair of nice shoes for more formal occassions that ive maybe work 10 times in the 12-18 months ive owned them.

I like the price/fit of allen edmonds and wear a 12eee

right now i have:
AE Park Aves in Black
AE Hillcrest in Light Red Brown
AE Bentons in Chili(kinda beat up need to send back to AE for refinishing)

I just picked up:
AE Denton in Black
AE Perrys in Black

So right now i have 4 shoes and will have a 5th once i get the bentons refinished. IS this fine for a rotation or with my wear do i need to add more? If so what would you reccomend. I am looking for a leather sole DK Brown captoe and will pick up one as soon as i find a steal. What else would you reccomend i pick up based on what i have?
I am 25 yrs old and work as a sales manager in a toyota dealership.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
5 shoes is enough IMHO. You have a bit more black then I need in my rotation though. I work with 4 browns (all shades) a burgandy and one black. I have to admit my black ones may come out only once a month.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're doing fine.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Five is a nice number.

Trojanman74

Reaction score
heck since ive joined SF ive accumulated 9 pairs, mostly AE's but i now have a pair of C&J and a pair of grensons. i just started this internship and have rotated them all at least twice. but do you think anyone notices? no. everyone here is wearing corrected grain bicycle toes or tassle loafers. Even up to the VP level. i honestly think if you have one black and two different styles brown shoes, you're good to go by this boards standards.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you lose weight, your shoe size will probably change a bit as well. Another reason to stick with the shoes you have, or limit your expenditure.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Is it that low?

Doesn't Portnoy buy four pairs a week? Let's say three to be conservative. 3/week x 52 weeks x 3 yrs on teh intertubes fora = roughly 450 pair A.F. (after fora).

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since as you lose the weight your feet will shrink, 5 pairs are fine. when you hit your target, you'll find that you'll most likely have to buy new shoes to fit your slimmer feet. At that point the proper number of pairs of shoes for a rotation, as 'portnoy says, is 279.
wink.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Doesn't Portnoy buy four pairs a week? Let's say three to be conservative. 3/week x 52 weeks x 3 yrs on teh intertubes fora = roughly 450 pair A.F. (after fora).

He sold me 1 pair a few years ago so it must be 449 now

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads