• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Whiskey

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Clontarf is very good, I drink it with Canada Dry.

Also, Tyrconnel is a very good value for the $$

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Commonly available? Jameson 12 yr. Do not be fooled by the "regular" Jameson, which tastes like machine oil next to the 12 yr vintage. Very smooth and subltle flavoring on the 12 yr. Also, Jamie 12 is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the line. The regular vintage is $20/bottle, 12yr is $36/bottle and 16yr is $65/bottle. I've had all three. While the 16yr is nice, it's not worth 2x the price of 12yr. If you look hard enough you can find this at most bars.

Not-so-commonly available: Redbreast. This is a 12yr single malt Irish whiskey with a stronger flavor than Jameson 12yr but it's not widely available at most bars. Priced a bit higher at $40-45/bottle.

Those would be my top two recommendations.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bushmills is good too. Though, my default is still Jameson 12 (hand carried to here from Ireland by a friend).

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midleton is good, but not worth the price. Tyrconnell is a good, rare find. Redbreast tasted good here in the US in 2004 and then I had it at home and couldn't drink it. Jim Murray claims that there's been changes in how it's bottled, fwiw. Michael Collins is a novelty and should be avoided. I'd stick with Jameson, which is the perfect boilermaker component.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jameson 12 year is a big step up from the regular stuff, IMO.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Commonly available? Jameson 12 yr. Do not be fooled by the "regular" Jameson, which tastes like machine oil next to the 12 yr vintage. Very smooth and subltle flavoring on the 12 yr. Also, Jamie 12 is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the line. The regular vintage is $20/bottle, 12yr is $36/bottle and 16yr is $65/bottle. I've had all three. While the 16yr is nice, it's not worth 2x the price of 12yr. If you look hard enough you can find this at most bars.

Not-so-commonly available: Redbreast. This is a 12yr single malt Irish whiskey with a stronger flavor than Jameson 12yr but it's not widely available at most bars. Priced a bit higher at $40-45/bottle.

Those would be my top two recommendations.

+1000 on the Jameson 12yr. I have the Redbreast, but it's a bit of an oddity. Not as odd, however as the Connemara Cask Strength: http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=178231

You might also try Powers.

Slainte! (cannot find the bloody accent ...)

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Commonly available? Jameson 12 yr. Do not be fooled by the "regular" Jameson, which tastes like machine oil next to the 12 yr vintage. Very smooth and subltle flavoring on the 12 yr. Also, Jamie 12 is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the line. The regular vintage is $20/bottle, 12yr is $36/bottle and 16yr is $65/bottle. I've had all three. While the 16yr is nice, it's not worth 2x the price of 12yr. If you look hard enough you can find this at most bars. Not-so-commonly available: Redbreast. This is a 12yr single malt Irish whiskey with a stronger flavor than Jameson 12yr but it's not widely available at most bars. Priced a bit higher at $40-45/bottle. Those would be my top two recommendations.
+1000 also on Jamie's 12. It's my house Irish (makes a killer Rob Roy also). Jamie's 18 is also superb, but not the same jump up as 12 is from standard. There are two new Jamies expressions running around, but I have no experience. I also second Connemara and Rebreast in any expression. Middleton doesn't work for me. ~ Huntsman

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had Bushmill's 10y which was rather boring and a disappointment. Their Sherry Hogshead Cask is far better. I've not tried the 16y, but I hear it's much better than the 10.

I had another Irish which I liked, it had a lot of peat, I can't recall the name
frown.gif

speedster.8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neither Bushmils or Jameson have impressed me. Would like recomendations along the lines Higland Park 18+, Springbank, Macallan, even Adbreg. The Irish are bound to have some ...

Thoughts?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedster.8
Neither Bushmils or Jameson have impressed me. Would like recomendations along the lines Higland Park 18+, Springbank, Macallan, even Adbreg. The Irish are bound to have some ... Thoughts?
No, they're not, really. Irish whiskys may not be your style as they (almost) never use peat, and as you're citing HP, and heavens, Ardberg, you should know you're not going to find that. I call Jamie's 12 as the archetypical Irish. Connemara Cask Strength, as mentioned here, might be your best shot. Black Bush also has some peat, but it's not Ardberg. You're also not going to find the wineyness of the Big Mac on the Emerald Isle, though Springbank might have a cousin in Knappogue. ~ Huntsman

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Irish whiskeys are also blends, not single malts. If you want single-malt scotch, drink single-malt scotch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads