or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos. - Page 107

post #1591 of 10731
Mr. Dobalina, Mr. @bobdobalina... those aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Any massive holes in the soles? That's what I always hear is the main thing that would prevent a refurbishing. I'm curious because may favorite pair of shoes is probably getting near the point to be refurbished. I don't want to not have the shoes for a couple months but I don't want to wear them so much that they cannot really be refurbished.
post #1592 of 10731
are those actual cracks in the leather? if so I could see that being a reason - afaik there is nothing they can do about that
post #1593 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

are those actual cracks in the leather? if so I could see that being a reason - afaik there is nothing they can do about that

I would call them "very deep scuffs" rather than cracks. They don't go all the way through. (edit: I would agree that nothing much can be done for them.)

And Mister Planner, thank you for picking up the reference. Regarding the soles, you can see the cork in an area a little bit smaller than a dime.

Honestly when you see the shoes up close, they're not (in my view) "completely trashed" but they are very, very tired-- a condition exacerbated by my procrastination in sending them back. The only reason I sent them back for a Hail Mary was that Alden has discontinued that shoe and I haven't been able to find any new old stock anywhere. The modified last really agrees with my foot and for some reason that particular blucher wingtip in that particular color doesn't scream out "geriatric shoe" like many of the modified lasts do. In my humble opinion.
post #1594 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobalina View Post


I would call them "very deep scuffs" rather than cracks. They don't go all the way through. (edit: I would agree that nothing much can be done for them.)

And Mister Planner, thank you for picking up the reference. Regarding the soles, you can see the cork in an area a little bit smaller than a dime.

Honestly when you see the shoes up close, they're not (in my view) "completely trashed" but they are very, very tired-- a condition exacerbated by my procrastination in sending them back. The only reason I sent them back for a Hail Mary was that Alden has discontinued that shoe and I haven't been able to find any new old stock anywhere. The modified last really agrees with my foot and for some reason that particular blucher wingtip in that particular color doesn't scream out "geriatric shoe" like many of the modified lasts do. In my humble opinion.

Take them/send them to the guys at moulded shoe, they might be able to get some life back in them.  Or at the very least see what they think.

post #1595 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobalina View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Planner View Post

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of the shoes in question.

A bit shabby I admit. But I wore those shoes constantly. They fit *perfectly*.

I bet B Nelson would take a stab at restoring those.  It may not be the exact same process, but if you really love those shoes, it may be worth it.

post #1596 of 10731
Even if those are just deep scuffs, I can see why Alden (or any other cobbler) would be hesitant to resole them on a last. Just putting them on the last could potentially tear them at that spot, and then risk an unhappy customer, but either way would probably wouldn't want to charge you for the work, but also would have already done a bit of work at no cost (and possibly used up some material before ripping them). That said, if you promise to pay a cobbler even if he accidentally tears them, he might be willing to give it a try. Of course, sometimes shoes are just dead and it's time to move on.
post #1597 of 10731

2210's today

 

post #1598 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeem View Post


it's tough to find Ravello these days from anyone. get on a list and hope your number gets called.

it feels like Alden focuses much more on color 8 and black these days. it would be easier to get a similar color from another maker.

the mayor probably has the most info for you.

What retailers are even doing lists these days? Only ones I know of are TSM and AoDC- anyone else?

post #1599 of 10731

Ravello LWB and AE Truffle McAllister comparison, damn near identical, both with hints of olive from certain angles.

 

post #1600 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdobalina View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by makewayhomer View Post

are those actual cracks in the leather? if so I could see that being a reason - afaik there is nothing they can do about that

I would call them "very deep scuffs" rather than cracks. They don't go all the way through. (edit: I would agree that nothing much can be done for them.)

And Mister Planner, thank you for picking up the reference. Regarding the soles, you can see the cork in an area a little bit smaller than a dime.

Honestly when you see the shoes up close, they're not (in my view) "completely trashed" but they are very, very tired-- a condition exacerbated by my procrastination in sending them back. The only reason I sent them back for a Hail Mary was that Alden has discontinued that shoe and I haven't been able to find any new old stock anywhere. The modified last really agrees with my foot and for some reason that particular blucher wingtip in that particular color doesn't scream out "geriatric shoe" like many of the modified lasts do. In my humble opinion.

Moulded shoe has a nice brown one that might be close enough. http://mouldedshoe.com/modwing.html
post #1601 of 10731

thank you S for your helpful message.

 

cigar x aom

 

 

are you sure those are cigar??    yes, direct sunlight

 

post #1602 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDV View Post
 

thank you S for your helpful message.

 

cigar x aom

 

 

are you sure those are cigar??    yes, direct sunlight

 

 

Apologies as it's been so long, I've forgotten how to spoiler :) there should really be a button in the menu above. 

 

VERY nice - happy it worked out 

post #1603 of 10731
Couldn't wait til Wednesday

Lwb x sf

post #1604 of 10731
I make it a habit to reach out to fellow SF members I know that are my same size with all rare make ups I deem no longer needed for whatever reason. Most reciprocate likewise .. it's called community.. I find you get back in spades what you put out in life.. . icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #1605 of 10731
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldennoob View Post


i am more interested in AOC make up!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSO1 View Post
 

 

I preordered that one long ago. Should be here in March, I think. Did you put a deposit down already?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldennoob View Post


no, i will wait for next pre order as i need to ask Mr Adam to make a 6.5D for me.
I am looking forward to your picture!

 

I actually like the Ram medallion as I don't have any Alden with that yet. The Plaza WT boots are gonna be too duplicative to my Grant last WT. That's why I was hoping to get the TSM medallion CT boots. But I think I can wait..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Streetwear and Denim
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Streetwear and Denim › The Official Alden Thread for 2016 - Share reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.