or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 21, 2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 21, 2015 - Page 2

post #16 of 43

Hey guys, Merry Christmas! A couple of days ago I had some Alfred Sargent Chelsea boots come in from an eBay auction I won. They are in great condition and hardly used but one of the pull tabs has been replaced with a piece/loop of leather in a rather home-made repair. This was not mentioned in the description but becuase of the overall condition of the boots (and the rather bargain price I paid for them) I would rather not send them back. Do you think a good cobbler or such like would be able to replace the pull tabs?

post #17 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoddaG View Post
 

Hey guys, Merry Christmas! A couple of days ago I had some Alfred Sargent Chelsea boots come in from an eBay auction I won. They are in great condition and hardly used but one of the pull tabs has been replaced with a piece/loop of leather in a rather home-made repair. This was not mentioned in the description but becuase of the overall condition of the boots (and the rather bargain price I paid for them) I would rather not send them back. Do you think a good cobbler or such like would be able to replace the pull tabs?

 

Yes, but it will never look as new because the leathers won't be exact matches.

post #18 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmcgee View Post

Hello all, I've recently decided to step up my wardrobe game with some better clothes. I wandered to a thrift shop and picked up a worsted wool navy sport jacket for 75 cents. I'm very interested in the history of this brand. It says tailors row by deansgate and made in U.S.A. I've searched the forums and found nothing on the topic as well as a Google search. Any insight on this clothing brand would be greatly appreciated.


I have a Deansgate blazer. It falls into that "they don't make them like they used to" category. Not a particularly expensive garment (not as nice as period BB makers, but better than Cricketeer and the like), but the quality is better than today's "cheap" stuff (mine is half-canvassed, but no hand work and the cloth is a decent-but-not-special hopsack). They followed the times, on the preppy side of things: I have seen '60s Deansgate coats that were pure Ivy league, while mine is very Ralph "updated American" with a wide lapel, high notch, and darts on a fairly tasteful, middle-of-the-road blazer. Forget what the label implies for a date but mine is most likely from sometime between '72 and '82.

 

 

 

If it has a union tag, you can date the rough period from that.

 

I get the sense they, like many brands, went downhill in terms of quality at some point. I've seen bad '80s stuff from them in addition to the great '60s and '70s stuff.

post #19 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlsquirl View Post
 

 

Yes, but it will never look as new because the leathers won't be exact matches.

Thanks, the other pull tabs are cotton tape though so assuming I replaced all of them I hope it would look okay.

post #20 of 43

Apologize for the continuous questions, but I need some advice on the suit in the attached link.  Have been trying to take advantage of some generous pricing on some RLBL suits and this was an option.  I like it, but trying to figure out how this plays in a wardrobe geared towards business suits.  Thought something different might be nice for less formal occasions.  As always, thanks in advance.

 

http://www.barneys.com/ralph-lauren-black-label-micro-checked-two-button-anthony-suit-504279099.html

post #21 of 43

Hello everybody,

 

I have an issue with a suit, the suit is dark gray (almost black) with black matte buttons.

So I took it to the dry cleaners and the buttons seem to have on about 80% of the surface a white/gray film. When I try to remove it with anything (water, liquid soap) the film goes away, but as soon as it evaporates it comes back.

I tried every substance I have in the house, but to no avail.

 

All the other types of buttons (which are kind of glossy) do not have this issue.

What should i use?

post #22 of 43

Hi Guys,

 

There's currently a promotion for students where AE is selling a package (shoe, belt, and shoe tree) for $350. (http://www.allenedmonds.com/student.html)

 

I'm planning on buying the dark brown strands. It'll be my first pair of shoes outside of the $50 black dress shoes I own.

 

I don't really need them until I graduate school and start work in Summer 2016 so I'm not in a rush. I'm also not really looking into buying seconds since I don't think I actually know enough to catch any errors if they happen to be material.

 

Do you guys think this is a good deal? I wasn't really intending on buying a belt or tree from AE and don't think I'll have trouble finding a matching belt for brown shoes.

 

Thanks

post #23 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarkin View Post

Hi Guys,

There's currently a promotion for students where AE is selling a package (shoe, belt, and shoe tree) for $350. (http://www.allenedmonds.com/student.html)

I'm planning on buying the dark brown strands. It'll be my first pair of shoes outside of the $50 black dress shoes I own.

I don't really need them until I graduate school and start work in Summer 2016 so I'm not in a rush. I'm also not really looking into buying seconds since I don't think I actually know enough to catch any errors if they happen to be material.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? I wasn't really intending on buying a belt or tree from AE and don't think I'll have trouble finding a matching belt for brown shoes.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, @brycelarkin. That is a pretty good deal. They are great entry level shoes and will serve you well for a long time. Check out our AE appreciation thread when you get a chance http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread-reviews-pictures-sizing-etc
post #24 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy2545 View Post
 

Hello everybody,

 

I have an issue with a suit, the suit is dark gray (almost black) with black matte buttons.

So I took it to the dry cleaners and the buttons seem to have on about 80% of the surface a white/gray film. When I try to remove it with anything (water, liquid soap) the film goes away, but as soon as it evaporates it comes back.

I tried every substance I have in the house, but to no avail.

 

All the other types of buttons (which are kind of glossy) do not have this issue.

What should i use?

 

Hey @newguy2545.  I wouldn't mess with it anymore.  I would just a have a tailor swap out the buttons.  It shouldn't be too expensive.  The last thing you want is to spill some chemical on the cloth while trying to clean a $1 button and ruin the suit.

post #25 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post
 

Apologize for the continuous questions, but I need some advice on the suit in the attached link.  Have been trying to take advantage of some generous pricing on some RLBL suits and this was an option.  I like it, but trying to figure out how this plays in a wardrobe geared towards business suits.  Thought something different might be nice for less formal occasions.  As always, thanks in advance.

 

http://www.barneys.com/ralph-lauren-black-label-micro-checked-two-button-anthony-suit-504279099.html

 

 

No need to apologize @keeno , that's what the forum is for.  I like the suit.  

post #26 of 43
Thank you murlsquirl. Always appreciate the prompt responses and insight. Take care.
post #27 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post

Thank you murlsquirl. Always appreciate the prompt responses and insight. Take care.

 

Anytime, man.

post #28 of 43
So, a representative was looking for suits in my size and came back with a tan gabardine. I've never really considered one, but I kinda like the idea in theory. My issue is when to wear it. Would be interested to get your thoughts on this if it's not too much trouble.
post #29 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeno View Post

So, a representative was looking for suits in my size and came back with a tan gabardine. I've never really considered one, but I kinda like the idea in theory. My issue is when to wear it. Would be interested to get your thoughts on this if it's not too much trouble.

A summer wedding would be one occasion.
post #30 of 43
Yeah, that struck my mind, but I'm 36 and my wedding days aren't quite so frequent anymore. Is it considered too casual for the office? I assume it's appropriate to dress down without a tie?
It may be too much of a specialty thing for me and that's fine. Figured I'd get a second opinion though. It sounded kind of appealing for some reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › NEW MEMBER INQUIRIES & QUICK QUESTIONS- CLASSIC MENSWEAR: WK OF DEC 21, 2015