• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

San Francisco Tailor Recommendations

jefferson

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm just starting out trying to get as much knowledge as possible on bespoke and MTM shirts and suits. This site is a great source of knowledge and everyone seems really cool. I get easily obsessed with hobbies and now I want to redo my off-the-rack wardrobe, so you'll probably be seeming a lot of me from now on. haha.

I know there have been threads covering a similar subject matter but I have a different twist on my question. I would like to have some shirts/suits made for me from some of the Hong Kong tailors. They seem to fit my preference and, more importantly, my price point. So my questions are as follows:

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding tailors who would measure me for suits or shirts? Do they even do that?

If so, how much would they charge?

I would imagine going to a master tailor would be silly as they would be enabling their competition. How much skill is needed in taking measurements? I imagine most of the skill in making a suit/shirt would come from the cutting and sewing. Would a good alterations tailor be in any way inferior to a tailor so specializes in making bespoke suits in this regard?

Thanks for helping out a guy undertaking yet another expensive hobby!

jefferson

Reaction score
I took a look at mytailor.com. It seems as though it requires me to enter my measurements. As I have not done this before, I think I would feel more comfortable having a professional (or at the very least someone with more experience) take the measurements for me. It may be that I am being too cautious, but even so, does anyone know of a tailor who would do something like that in San Francisco?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Whether you need a master tailor or not might be in dispute.

But if you need a great tailor in SF, see Victor. He is next door to Wilkes Bashford and was recommended to me by WB to do alterations on a Zegna suit I picked up at La Rosa Vintage in Haight Ashbury. The suit was originally sold at WB. He ain't cheap but he did a total trouser rebuild and some waist suppression, etc., for me and turned it out in a day as I was in SF on a short business trip.

Victor's Tailoring
391 Sutter Street, Suite 308
San Francisco, CA
(415) 397-6312

I believe he works by appointment only.

Stax

Reaction score
I've been taking jobs to Andreas Gorges at 110 Sutter St., Suite 207. No complaints so far.

Carbon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferson
I took a look at mytailor.com. It seems as though it requires me to enter my measurements. As I have not done this before, I think I would feel more comfortable having a professional (or at the very least someone with more experience) take the measurements for me. It may be that I am being too cautious, but even so, does anyone know of a tailor who would do something like that in San Francisco?

The previously mentioned Andreas Gorges usually gets high marks as a tailor. I'm sure he will measure you if you buy one of his shirts for $120.

I took an $40 risk on mytailor and did the measurements myself.

How much does WW Chan charge for a suit?

jefferson

Reaction score
I believe Chan's suits start at $1000. He is having a representative visit San Francisco mid November for a few days, with whom I've made an appointment. As I understand it, they visit perhaps thrice per year.

I guess no one else have had my reservations about measuring myself. Although I don't mind paying a tailor $10-$20 to take my measurements, increasing that amount by an order of magnitude is a bit steep.

Carbon, you had mentioned Andreas Gorges sells shirts from around $120. Are those bespoke? Does he do bespoke shirts? If so, and his price point is around $120, that seems like a great deal.

Carbon

Reaction score
Carbon, you had mentioned Andreas Gorges sells shirts from around $120. Are those bespoke? Does he do bespoke shirts? If so, and his price point is around $120, that seems like a great deal.

I'm new so I don't know the difference between bespoke and made-to-measure is. I went to Gorges this week. I wanted his take on making a DKNY shirt look better. I don't know if it was a selling angle or not, but he simply said he didn't think it would be worth it because the shirt would still not look that good if he tailored it (the shoulders weren't right). At that point I had basically shown willingness to pay the $50 he said it would take to tailor it. I liked that he didn't want to tailor something that would not end up looking good.

I got some pants hemmed ($10) but then I asked him about custom shirts. He said I could get a custom shirt for $125. My understanding was that those were made-to-measure. I asked him if the $125 shirts were the bottom of the barrel. He laughed and said they were the basic shirts but that most shirts were about $135-$140. His shop was busy and he wasn't going for a hard sell. He said he meets with people for at least a half-hour to discuss shirts. You need to make an appointment, he will take your measurements, you will look at fabrics and talk about style. I suggest you call him to confirm the price and go in if you're interested.

My only concern is that he checked if I wanted cuffs on my pants. I'm hoping he just wanted the order to be clear. My understanding is that pant cuffs are a big fashion mistake, but let me know if I'm wrong.

I am waiting to receive a $40 tailorstore.com made-to-measure shirt. If it doesn't work out, I am going to give Gorges a shot at making a custom shirt.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe Chan's suits start at $1000. He is having a representative visit San Francisco mid November for a few days, with whom I've made an appointment. As I understand it, they visit perhaps thrice per year.

I guess no one else have had my reservations about measuring myself. Although I don't mind paying a tailor $10-$20 to take my measurements, increasing that amount by an order of magnitude is a bit steep.

Mytailor also visits and will measure you. I don't know why they have self-measurement on their website as people seem to think it's their preferred method when it's not.

Chans suits are more like $1400. Still a reasonable value.

jefferson

Reaction score
Actually, I think I know which tailor you're referring to. It's the guy that Pink sends my shirts to- next to Crocker Galleria. Yes, I've heard good thing about him. Unfortunately, I've also heard to expect a very long wait if you use him because he's so popular.

alebrady

Reaction score
has anyone used andreas gorges for MTM or bespoke suits/shirts (i.e. other than just OTR alterations)? i would love to hear from anyone who has since it would be nice to a have a good tailor here in SF.

Anyone know anything about his background or what tailoring school his work may be most represented by?

thanks

southgate house

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alebrady
has anyone used andreas gorges for MTM or bespoke suits/shirts (i.e. other than just OTR alterations)? i would love to hear from anyone who has since it would be nice to a have a good tailor here in SF.

Anyone know anything about his background or what tailoring school his work may be most represented by?

thanks

I've never had anything made personally, but he makes everything from shirts to suits and seems to have a pretty dedicated clientele. I colleague of mine just had Andy make him a pair of pants in donegal and they look great. I think the price was around $350. It would have been higher for nicer fabrics. I don't know much about his background except that he is German and he father was a tailor, so he grew up in the business.

I usually just bring in OTR clothes for alterations and have always been impressed. I trust him much more than the in house tailors at any of the stores in town. As noted above, however, he is getting busier and busier, so the turn around times are lagging.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was referred by a SF member to George and his son Ravi @ seymours fashions in Union Square. Since then, I've had 6 or 7 jackets altered (some major work, some small) 10 pants made, and a dozen shirts made.

I've not had them make me a suit yet as I find it more cost effective to buy something from ebay and have them tailor it.

So far they've been good. The bespoke shirts and slacks are nicely constructed and conform to my body perfectly.

For price, I've found them to be reasonable. For a suit with 120's fabric it'll run about $1500. Pants are about $300 or so, and shirts about $180-200. All depending on the fabric you choose of course.

If you have the time, I'd recommend testing a few tailors out before committing to having a suit made. Bring in something to be altered, or have a single shirt made. See how that experience goes, and decide if you're comfortable spending a few thousand dollars after that.

alebrady

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
I was referred by a SF member to George and his son Ravi @ seymours fashions in Union Square. Since then, I've had 6 or 7 jackets altered (some major work, some small) 10 pants made, and a dozen shirts made.

I've not had them make me a suit yet as I find it more cost effective to buy something from ebay and have them tailor it.

So far they've been good. The bespoke shirts and slacks are nicely constructed and conform to my body perfectly.

For price, I've found them to be reasonable. For a suit with 120's fabric it'll run about $1500. Pants are about $300 or so, and shirts about $180-200. All depending on the fabric you choose of course.

If you have the time, I'd recommend testing a few tailors out before committing to having a suit made. Bring in something to be altered, or have a single shirt made. See how that experience goes, and decide if you're comfortable spending a few thousand dollars after that.

bmulford,

thanks - im particularly interested in the shirts youve had done. could you compare the quality to any other 'major' shirting brands (i.e. in terms of construction, fit, etc)? any chance you have tried mtm or custom with any other reputable shirtmakers as way of comparison?

was andreas fairly flexible in terms of what you wanted - im thinking of mostly collar height, shape, etc.

thanks!

ill try and go down and see him myself this week

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics