or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) - Page 322

post #4816 of 12010

I think that 'shorter' cuffs would make him appear taller in that picture, but I also don't remember the last time I saw someone wearing a suit and saw that they had cuffs and thought "Huh, those are too short/tall". They're what, 2 inch cuffs? 2.5 inch cuffs?

 

And yeah, I'm totally open to being wrong. I tend to learn more when I am!

post #4817 of 12010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchoy View Post

Please excuse the pocket square always have a tendency to pop up by the end of the day.



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Consistent excellence. Best thing I can do is refrain from commenting unless you have an off day, which I know is not going to happen.
Always a joy to see your outfits, you know precisely how to be understated and elegant yet never boring. I have a bit to learn.
post #4818 of 12010

None of what follows is directed at RTC or indeed any of the postings today.  I’m merely taking advantage of the current meta-discussion to offer some thoughts about commentary in this thread.

 

The comments I find most useful are those which are based upon some agreed-upon norm (however broadly defined) and not mere personal preference or taste.    JMHO, YMMV, etc.

 

To give a personal example, I confess that I do not like pebble-grain split-toe Bluchers.  There’s nothing objectively wrong with them and they are certainly an acceptable option within the classic style.  They are simply not to my taste, just like I don’t like anchovies on my pizza.  I recognize that’s my personal quirk, and I would never negatively comment on them in someone’s fit if they were used in an appropriate overall context.

 

However, if someone wore a pair of them with a very formal worsted charcoal suit, conservative shirt and understated tie, I might remark that the shoes could be seen as too casual for the rest of the fit.  That observation would be independent of my feelings about the shoes in isolation, having to do merely with the assumption of consistency that is a part of classic style.

 

The comments I find most useful come from those members with a sufficient knowledge of classic style that they know the difference between their personal biases and genuine departures from the norms and assumptions of that style.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

post #4819 of 12010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

@tchoy
, small nit to pick, but I think it would look more proportional with slightly smaller cuffs.

Preference I suppose. I have the same width cuffs and would never go smaller.
post #4820 of 12010
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Academic2 View Post
 

None of what follows is directed at RTC or indeed any of the postings today.  I’m merely taking advantage of the current meta-discussion to offer some thoughts about commentary in this thread.

 

The comments I find most useful are those which are based upon some agreed-upon norm (however broadly defined) and not mere personal preference or taste.    JMHO, YMMV, etc.

 

To give a personal example, I confess that I do not like pebble-grain split-toe Bluchers.  There’s nothing objectively wrong with them and they are certainly an acceptable option within the classic style.  They are simply not to my taste, just like I don’t like anchovies on my pizza.  I recognize that’s my personal quirk, and I would never negatively comment on them in someone’s fit if they were used in an appropriate overall context.

 

However, if someone wore a pair of them with a very formal worsted charcoal suit, conservative shirt and understated tie, I might remark that the shoes could be seen as too casual for the rest of the fit.  That observation would be independent of my feelings about the shoes in isolation, having to do merely with the assumption of consistency that is a part of classic style.

 

The comments I find most useful come from those members with a sufficient knowledge of classic style that they know the difference between their personal biases and genuine departures from the norms and assumptions of that style.

 

Cheers,

 

Ac

 

This !

post #4821 of 12010

Beautiful tie!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarbutch View Post

Picture literally on the go



Hank showing some midday exuberance...
post #4822 of 12010

If someone could just change my tag to 'Village Idiot' then that'd be great.

post #4823 of 12010
No. You're just learning.

--

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday. Here's today.

FWIW, I tried a blue shirt and it didn't get along with the blue in the jacket. I've seen lots of you do it, and I can never quite seem to pull it off. Had I had more time, I think I might have chosen a different shirt, but c'est la vie.

photo ae651ca5-0018-4a21-be18-557a46b754ea_zpsc977ce05.jpg
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
photo 4d6b516b-b27b-4b89-ab51-59f5efd32265_zps98da3a71.jpgphoto IMG_1186_zps466d390d.jpgphoto IMG_1187_zps5f74ab98.jpg
post #4824 of 12010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethecliche View Post

If someone could just change my tag to 'Village Idiot' then that'd be great.

I've been interested in dressing well for 50 years and I'm still learning more about my style and that in general. For most of that time, of course, there was nothing like an internet chat forum to help and receive input.
The very fact you're here is a major step.
post #4825 of 12010

This looks nice JK. I wasn't going to comment until I noticed the bracelet. Is that a kara and if so why on your left?
post #4826 of 12010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

... but it could perhaps look a little off to those who've started off in the #menswear era of shorter, tighter jackets and lower-waisted, tapered trousers, or who are just still training their eye.

Sometimes I think this #menswear or "GQ made me do it" idea is bullshit. Not disagreeing with you entirely FM, but it's kinda like popular music sucked when I was a kid and I still figured out to listen to Zeppelin and Hendrix instead. It should be pretty obvious that none of that shit looks good.
post #4827 of 12010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Nickels View Post

This looks nice JK. I wasn't going to comment until I noticed the bracelet. Is that a kara and if so why on your left?

Great observation. It is in fact a Kara and it's on my right just looks deceiving because of the mirror
post #4828 of 12010
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkapur View Post

Great observation. It is in fact a Kara and it's on my right just looks deceiving because of the mirror

I thought that may have been the case but couldn't remember how the inversion worked when I posted my own shots so I thought it was on your left which is why I asked because I know it is to be worn on the right. Cool.. thanks! And I still liked your combo in the previous fit... elegant and good looking.
post #4829 of 12010
post #4830 of 12010

Please excuse the dirty mirror and bad tie knot, still very much learning how to dress better. I would like feed back however, Shoes are RL Linderick Cordovan. Also, excuse the phone in the pic, was the best I could do.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)