or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe) - Page 768

post #11506 of 37405

One is a small shoulder bag and one is a tote.  She probably needs both.  Whether you like them is immaterial, I suspect.

post #11507 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Help me select buttons for a Navy Blazer Project


1. Aubergine Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
2. Dark Brown Horn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
3. Coffee Brown Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
4. Red Brown Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
5. Tiger Brown Horn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG

 

#4

post #11508 of 37405
post #11509 of 37405
I would probably go with red brown corozo.
post #11510 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post


I understand that this may be true in theory, but taken to its logical conclusion your argument would seem to advocate for pleated denim being an acceptable option and that just seems completely cringeworthy to me. I mentioned corduroys and moleskins as an example of where pleats are probably not a great plan because to me they are slightly dressier versions of jeans and it makes sense to treat them similarly. Perhaps its a psychological hang-up and I am the only one who has it.

 

It's fine of you don't like pleats in general, but the reasoning you're using is wrong. Your logic does not extend to denim, as pleats do need a crease.

 

Having said, there's nothing wrong with pleated denim, if done well. Why would one be allowed to be comfortable in dress pants but not in denim? It's simply a change in fabric. I currently only own one pair of denim trousers, and they're pleated. I don't wear them often, as I find denim to be a less than ideal fabric. Too warm in summer and too cold in winter.

 

Anyways, like I said, pleats aren't more formal or informal, and if the trousers fit well they should be closed and lie flat, meaning you'll only notice them from close up.

 

 

BNtailor pleated denim:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Pleated and creased denim (trousers are too slim, as it was my first ever luxire order):

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

BNtailor Pleated cotton:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

My pleated linen trousers:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

Double pleated silk/linen (I really need to get light shoes for outfits like these):

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

post #11511 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

Help me select buttons for a Navy Blazer Project


1. Aubergine Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
2. Dark Brown Horn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
3. Coffee Brown Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
4. Red Brown Corozo Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG
5. Tiger Brown Horn Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
$_57.JPG

 

If true navy, I'd go for coffee. If slightly lighter, then the red brown corozo.

 

Incidentally, just yesterday I bought a set of (gold coloured) metal buttons. I've never worn a blazer with metal buttons before, since I've always associated it with old men's clothes. Now, I no longer feel like that. Showing my age, or too much time on SF?

post #11512 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
 

One is a small shoulder bag and one is a tote.  She probably needs both.  Whether you like them is immaterial, I suspect.

tumblr_inline_n7exnq1Lrc1qf3yoi.gif

...if I remember correctly, she wants some YSL tote. I will never go back to that store. 

post #11513 of 37405
@kulata, I like #1 and #3 but like #3 the most.
post #11514 of 37405
It's true navy. Hopefully my ultimate navy jacket that will stop my incessant searches for one

No leading consensus but now starting to narrow it down to #3 and #4
post #11515 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post

It's true navy. Hopefully my ultimate navy jacket that will stop my incessant searches for one

No leading consensus but now starting to narrow it down to #3 and #4

 

I've given up on my search for the ultimate navy blazer. I'm saving up now until I can bespeak one at Steed.

post #11516 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyface View Post

I've given up on my search for the ultimate navy blazer. I'm saving up now until I can bespeak one at Steed.
If you don't mind care to share the specs? Steed stuff I have seen have too much waist suppression.
post #11517 of 37405
@Monkeyface, I appreciate the detailed response and examples. I think we may be talking past each other a bit. I don't disagree with the idea that pleats don't necessarily imply formality or lack thereof. I like the pleated cotton and linen trousers in your examples. That said, I'd still be more likely to get pleats on trousers that are going to be worn in more formal situations even if pleats themselves don't affect the formality of the trouser. It may not be 100% logical and I accept that. Part of the reason may be that pleats do of course look best with trousers that sit at or above the natural waist. Jeans and more casual trousers are more likely to be worn with a lower rise, so you do not get the same benefit from pleats in these cases. Of course, if you have things made for you as many of us do, I suppose this reason goes away for the most part.

I still think there is something that doesn't seem quite right about high rise denim. It's certainly not common (though I suppose we should be careful in using our observations about how common certain things are when discussing what is optimal). Again, it may be my own hang-up.
post #11518 of 37405
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulata View Post


If you don't mind care to share the specs? Steed stuff I have seen have too much waist suppression.

 

Natural, lightly padded shoulder, draped chest, wide notch lapels (probably around 4"), 3 roll 2, hip patch pockets, a bit of waist suppression, but no so much that it constricts movement or becomes uncomfortable. Probably swelled edges on the lapels, but I'm not sure about that yet. When it comes to fabric, I'm not sure yet. Probably either a butterfly lined flannel or a fully lined hopsack, making it a 3 season blazer. I could wear flannel here from mid September till mid June. Smoked MOP or navy buttons, as I'll mainly wear it with grey trousers and black shoes.

post #11519 of 37405

Another vote for #4

post #11520 of 37405
SF hates branded stuff simply because its in your face/gauche. Ill say that I find that most items that have your face emblems/branding are poorly designed to begin with, and if not for the branding no one would want them, but there are certainly exceptions out there. And for those exceptions, I will happily wear them, despite their perhaps inherent tactlessness.

Jot me down for #4 as well, btw.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Good Natured Advice Thread (improving a business wardrobe)