or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Grey 3 piece suit for a wedding... Question about shoes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grey 3 piece suit for a wedding... Question about shoes. - Page 3

post #31 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by archibaldleach View Post

I'd say no to any loafer, bit loafers included.

okay, how about these? http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/gucci-noort-plain-toe-oxford/3498429?origin=category&BaseUrl=Oxfords
post #32 of 51
To me, the brown shoes are fine. Just do braces/suspenders instead of a belt if you're going to wear a waistcoat.
post #33 of 51
Coming from someone who deeply regrets buying several pairs of Gucci shoes pre-style forum, you can do a lot better in that price range. Even at $500, you are in the C&J / Carmina ballpark, which while not as aggressively styled as G&G, I think are far from boring as well. I'm a fan of shoes on the 348 and Simpson lasts respectively.
post #34 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbelragazzo View Post

To me, the brown shoes are fine. Just do braces/suspenders instead of a belt if you're going to wear a waistcoat.

I'm researching this and seeing a fair amount of inconsistancy. Is this your preference or really considered a solid rule?
post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbs View Post


I'm researching this and seeing a fair amount of inconsistancy. Is this your preference or really considered a solid rule?

Not wearing a belt with a waistcoat? It's a rule. You can see the bulk of the belt buckle beneath the waistcoat.

post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbs View Post

I'm researching this and seeing a fair amount of inconsistancy. Is this your preference or really considered a solid rule?

You will, of course, see plenty of guys wearing a belt with a waistcoat. You'll also see plenty of them buttoning the bottom button, which there's also a rule against, even if it's more for the sake of tradition than aesthetics.

The DoW made belts more popular, wearing them often, for instance in this famous picture:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m76skgq49l1qkqmp8o1_400.jpg

But whenever he needed to wear a more formal suit, he would usually wear a double-breasted. My quick search couldn't even find any of him wearing a 3-pc single-breasted suit. But if you did, I'd be very surprised if he were wearing a belt. With any kind of formal wear, which includes an open coat and a waistcoat, he would never wear a belt.

Now every time I think of a waistcoat worn with a belt I am reminded of this horrid image:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsxo0mFPbZ1qjffwko1_500.jpg
post #37 of 51

If your waistcoat fits right you wouldn't be able to see a belt anyways. So all a belt can potentially contribute to the situation is a bulge, especially at the buckle, which will look bad. Hence suspenders, which in addition to not being seen won't produce any bulges under the vest. I find they do a better job keeping my pants in the right place anyways.

post #38 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post

Not wearing a belt with a waistcoat? It's a rule. You can see the bulk of the belt buckle beneath the waistcoat.

Only if your belt buckle has bulk.
post #39 of 51
Thread Starter 
I'm sure this detail can go either way... My goal is to get a very trim belt, which shouldn't be seen anyways. However, I will also have them sew in buttons for suspenders, I don't recall if the pants had them or not but I will ask them to do it. This way I can try both and just go with whatever truly works best.

Thanks again everyone!
post #40 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubbs View Post

I'm sure this detail can go either way... My goal is to get a very trim belt, which shouldn't be seen anyways. However, I will also have them sew in buttons for suspenders, I don't recall if the pants had them or not but I will ask them to do it. This way I can try both and just go with whatever truly works best.

Thanks again everyone!

 

So what's the point of the belt if, as you say, shouldn't be seen anyways? The physics guarantees suspenders do a better job than a belt keeping your pants up, which seems to be the only remaining argument for wearing a belt. Heck, if my pants fit well enough I might not wear either.

post #41 of 51
Thread Starter 
Well, I mean it won't get seen if I am standing normal, but the edge may peek out at times. I'll have to see if I feel uncomfortable without one or not. I'm hesitant to wear suspenders because it's been 7 years since I have, and even back then I wasn't entirely comfortable in them. I did ask them to sew the buttons for them though, so it's an option...
post #42 of 51
I'd recommend you spend a day in both braces and belt before deciding. For the belt, make sure it doesn't show not only when you first put everything on, but also after a few hours or wearing and sitting and standing.
post #43 of 51
If your trousers are low rise, though, nothing can save you.
post #44 of 51
I wear my black Park Ave's less often than any other shoe I own - in fact, they're my only black shoes - but I wore them to my wedding and they looked GREAT.

My wedding was also very casual - we didn't require that anyone wore a suit or something fancy if they didn't have it or weren't comfortable in it. I don't think anyone's level of formality or informality made anyone else around them uncomfortable in any way.
post #45 of 51

I think burgundy works best.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Grey 3 piece suit for a wedding... Question about shoes.