or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

whnay.'s good taste thread - Page 434

post #6496 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Elfo View Post

Since we're talking about which cloths make a in good taste jacket, I'm about to commission a new pair of trousers made of corduroy (not of great quality), but I'm not sure about the pleats (double reverse), which is an usual detail for my trousers.
May I ask for your advice?

Thank you for your time,
Victor.

Most corduroy pants I have seen are cut like jeans. On pants like this, I would skip the pleats. Are you having yours cut like dress pants?
post #6497 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loathing View Post

It's a playful dandy thing. I suppose you could call it 'ironic'. It's not suppose to look 'good' or 'tasteful', it's supposed to be a bit of fun, like wordplay in a Postmodern novel by someone like Nabokov. Obviously it's not 'in good taste' within the context of this thread.

I get that, and that explains the first inch and a half, but I was hoping the next 6" could be explained by irony..
post #6498 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post


Most corduroy pants I have seen are cut like jeans. On pants like this, I would skip the pleats. Are you having yours cut like dress pants?

 

Yes, it will be cut like dress trousers.

post #6499 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post


that is so true. I am not even into the "back blade same length as front blade sprezzatura" thing, but I simply need custom length ties to get a decent knot.

it's a shame that the standard is 57". My custom orders go out with 62" in length and 8cm in width at the bottom and 6cm in width at 20" from the tip just to get a decent FIH knot. If I ever were to tie a proper Windsor I probably would have to go another 2 inch up...

Actually, come think of it - one of the main benefits of wearing three-piece suit (beside the fact that I think they rock!) is that you don't have to worry about tie length what so ever (to a certain extent the same applies if you are wearing a v-neck sweater under your SC).


BTW, awesome photoshop!
post #6500 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Actually, come think of it - one of the main benefits of wearing three-piece suit...

The extra pockets of the waistcoat allows you to put most of your close belongings with carrying a bag or to keep your jacket light.
post #6501 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post


that is so true. I am not even into the "back blade same length as front blade sprezzatura" thing, but I simply need custom length ties to get a decent knot.

it's a shame that the standard is 57". My custom orders go out with 62" in length and 8cm in width at the bottom and 6cm in width at 20" from the tip just to get a decent FIH knot. If I ever were to tie a proper Windsor I probably would have to go another 2 inch up...

Actually, come think of it - one of the main benefits of wearing three-piece suit (beside the fact that I think they rock!) is that you don't have to worry about tie length what so ever (to a certain extent the same applies if you are wearing a v-neck sweater under your SC).


BTW, awesome photoshop!

 

I haven't reached 30 yet. It's not that I don't like three piece suits, but I rarely see someone my age pull them off decently.

 

Until I have come of age I will have to either resort to custom length ties or bring back the cummerbund as business appropriate office wear.

 

@ photoshop. I can only claim credit for the execution; edmorel came up with the concept. worship.gif

post #6502 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

 

I haven't reached 30 yet. It's not that I don't like three piece suits, but I rarely see someone my age pull them off decently.

 

Until I have come of age I will have to either resort to custom length ties or bring back the cummerbund as business appropriate office wear.

 

@ photoshop. I can only claim credit for the execution; edmorel came up with the concept. worship.gif

 

So if you're 29 you can't pull them off, but once you turn 30 it's alright?

 

I want moar of them now. bounce2.gif

post #6503 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

I haven't reached 30 yet. It's not that I don't like three piece suits, but I rarely see someone my age pull them off decently.

 

Until I have come of age I will have to either resort to custom length ties or bring back the cummerbund as business appropriate office wear.


I finally feel good about pushing 44. Thank you my friend! fing02[1].gif
post #6504 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingson View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

I haven't reached 30 yet. It's not that I don't like three piece suits, but I rarely see someone my age pull them off decently.

 

 

Until I have come of age I will have to either resort to custom length ties or bring back the cummerbund as business appropriate office wear.


I finally feel good about pushing 44. Thank you my friend! fing02[1].gif


in another 6 years you can wear tassel loafers fing02[1].gif

post #6505 of 13589

Damn! It will take me almost three decades until I can purchase my first tassel...

post #6506 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

in another 6 years you can wear tassel loafers

Never, never will I wear tassel loafers..
post #6507 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapeyron View Post

I haven't reached 30 yet. It's not that I don't like three piece suits, but I rarely see someone my age pull them off decently.

Haha really? foo.gif
post #6508 of 13589

It seems to me, as an admittedly young person who's never worn a three-piece suit, that the trick would be to treat the vest as something that makes the suit less conservative, n'est pas? I see a reasonable number of young guys who assume the vest adds to the seriousness of the ensemble (this makes them appear to be in somebody else's costume), but I don't think it does. I reckon if you want to be taken 100% seriously as a young guy, then the third piece is a mistake. I happen to really like this photo of one of the Armoury guys,* and I think it works because the guy looks young and not-overly straightlaced, but the clothes are 100% conservative. I think of it as akin to the look I'm going for -- clothes with a sense of dignity and restraint, even though by their nature they stick out.

 

 

 

Of course, I think of tassel loafers the same way -- you have to have a sense of humor about them.

 

*I'm self-aware enough to know that "I happen to really like this photo of one of the Armoury guys" is a pretty common shoal for #menswear to run aground on, and admit that I may totally change my mind. Also, the short end of the tie is still somehow showing.
 

post #6509 of 13589
^^^^ really is the key that for a 3 piece it needs to be perfectly tailored, so whole package is presentable and in harmony. But how many young guys can afford a good bespoke suit?

With the above example, Alan was wearing an Italian bespoke 3 piece, with good body shape anyone can look really good at it. Doesn't need to be old or young, it is just ugly when someone with a belly tries to wear a waistcoat.
post #6510 of 13589
Quote:
Originally Posted by add911_11 View Post

^^^^ really is the key that for a 3 piece it needs to be perfectly tailored, so whole package is presentable and in harmony. But how many young guys can afford a good bespoke suit?

With the above example, Alan was wearing an Italian bespoke 3 piece, with good body shape anyone can look really good at it. Doesn't need to be old or young, it is just ugly when someone with a belly tries to wear a waistcoat.

Well if the suit is well-tailored is should hide any gut a man has.

But the quote above brings me to a thing few people realise - nothing makes wonders for how good you look in your clothes as being in good shape. So actually spending some of your clothing budget on a gym membership is likely money very well spent!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › whnay.'s good taste thread