or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread - Page 35

post #511 of 593
They played "Born in the U.S.A." after the American team won the basketball game. facepalm.gif
post #512 of 593
Thread Starter 
This men's volleyball final is pretty damned entertaining. Holy hell these guys crush the ball.
post #513 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser View Post

I love Missy Franklin's idealism, but she needs to grab the cash now. How much fun is swimming against college kids going to be after you've beaten the best in the world?

This just in, the NCAA's amateur rules are stupid. I mean... New idea. Let athletes take sponsorships, use that to replace scholarship funds - would work for all Div I football, plus most of the March Madness BBall teams, possibly a few others. Take their scholarship funds to, I don't know, fund more sports (handball? Rugby? Oly Lifting?) And then the USA gets to win over 50% of olympic medals.

The mechanic of this is that you have to sponsor a team, so the school takes out their tuition chunk, then can divert those funds towards the other oly sports.
post #514 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post

I didn't realize she pulled back to take herself out of the medal race because the hisses and boos were raining down on her. Wonder if we'll ever see another barefoot runner.

In other "old Olympians I remember," my favourite lifter was Vasily Alekseyev from the Montreal games back when they were doing the Clean and Press. He was a beast.





lefty

I was five years old when the Montreal Olympics were held, and watching this guy from the Soviet Union created a frightening image of who I thought the Soviets were.
post #515 of 593
What has happened to the Australians at the Games? They used to be pretty decent at least in swimming but they've been mediocre at that. Considering that they are a nation-continent that has no potential for winter sports you'd think that they would be a competitor in numerous medals at every Olympics, but they are slowly falling behind countries that bring hundreds of athletes less than Australia yet end up far more superior than a nation that throws over four hundred people at the competitions yet get such pathetic returns on all the money invested into each individual. I'm worried that by the time the 2028 Olympics rolls around they will be proud to earn more medals than North Korea. confused.gif
post #516 of 593

^^He was a monster and the greatest thing I had ever seen. Those presses are unbelievable.

 

Some Russians had a sense of humour though.

 

 

lefty

post #517 of 593
As a Canadian I'm embarrassed that we rallied behind a perceived injustice committed against our women's soccer team (who we conveniently forgot blew three separate leads in a soccer game...) to the point that we made a member of the bronze winning team the flag bearer.

They should have made the trampoline girl the flag bearer. The message to our athletes needs to be that we reward excellence, not whining and moral victories which is exactly what theysoccer team gave us.
post #518 of 593
Honestly, Canada should of made the kayaking bronze medalist the flag bearer.
post #519 of 593
I'm disappointed that the Marathon did not finish within the stadium.
post #520 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

What has happened to the Australians at the Games? They used to be pretty decent at least in swimming but they've been mediocre at that. Considering that they are a nation-continent that has no potential for winter sports you'd think that they would be a competitor in numerous medals at every Olympics, but they are slowly falling behind countries that bring hundreds of athletes less than Australia yet end up far more superior than a nation that throws over four hundred people at the competitions yet get such pathetic returns on all the money invested into each individual. I'm worried that by the time the 2028 Olympics rolls around they will be proud to earn more medals than North Korea. confused.gif

Australia gold per million - 0.3180

US gold per million - 0.1466

We have 22m people, that's 290m less than the US and 1,322m less than China. I think we'll be fine...
post #521 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNS View Post

I'm disappointed that the Marathon did not finish within the stadium.

I would have liked to have seen that as well.
post #522 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Honestly, Canada should of made the kayaking bronze medalist the flag bearer.

Mark deJonge is cool/excellent example of hardworking honest Olympian, but doesn't deserve it any more than Rosie McLennan who got gold. Mark Oldershaw (the canoeist) maybe, but then he'd be getting it because of his family history more than his own accomplishments - but his reaction after getting bronze was amazing and you could tell how happy he was.
post #523 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post

Australia gold per million - 0.3180
US gold per million - 0.1466
We have 22m people, that's 290m less than the US and 1,322m less than China. I think we'll be fine...

This argument only works if the US is allowed to bring 14 times more athletes to the games than Australia and there are 14 times more medal available.
post #524 of 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7 View Post

Honestly, Canada should of made the kayaking bronze medalist the flag bearer.

That could have worked too. He put in a great performance and he embodied the Olympic spirit -- hard work and putting in your best performance when it matters.

Rallying behind a bunch of surly girls who pouted when they lost a soccer game is crap. Overcoming adversity is that the American flag bearer did, who came back from a crippling leg injury to compete and win a medal. Adversity isn't blowing a huge lead and then whining about the reffing.

Canada needs an attitude check, frankly. We puff our chests and then blame others when our unrealistic, jingoistic athletic aspirations are dashed.
post #525 of 593
Those Alexeev clips on Youtube are out of this world. Why did they ever get rid of the clean and press? It's such a pure expression of power. You'd think they would lose the jerk first.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › The Official 2012 London Olympics Backlash Thread