or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Things that are pissing you off. - Page 2522

post #37816 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Is it not rather presumptuous and Christo-centric to assume I would assume welcome such things? Also, as a godless socialist out to wage a war on Xtianity, I am programed to do such things. wink.gif

Christianity isn't the only religion that blesses people (though I understand the history of "bless you" is tied to Christianity). My point was just that I don't see any reason to have a clever anti-religion comeback in the first place. I understand that you don't want to be pushed around by religion, but "bless you" isn't exactly evangelizing. Why not just accept it as someone simply being polite, rather than take it as an opportunity to make sure everyone knows how clever and anti-god you are?

Plus, your "socialist" argument falls flat. Everyone knows Christ was a socialist. Well, everyone except for the people who seem to think he was a fascist who'd want them to make the government take away all of our fun. smile.gif

Remember that...he was a socialist...except when he wasn't! laugh.gif

As I said, I only trot that out when I want someone to stop doing it, not every time someone does it. I swear, with some people, it almost becomes a passive aggressive weapon. That's when I go nuclear. wink.gif
post #37817 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdl203 View Post

Jet-lagged kids ready to play and eat breakfast at 4:15... tired-sleeping-smiley-4642.gif

Makes you nostalgic for the good old days when they would wake up at 1 and 2 and 4 in the morning, no?

Or is that just me?
post #37818 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post

Christianity isn't the only religion that blesses people (though I understand the history of "bless you" is tied to Christianity). My point was just that I don't see any reason to have a clever anti-religion comeback in the first place. I understand that you don't want to be pushed around by religion, but "bless you" isn't exactly evangelizing. Why not just accept it as someone simply being polite, rather than take it as an opportunity to make sure everyone knows how clever and anti-god you are?

yes, i agree. people for the most part are just being nice (you can tell from some peoples tone when they say "bless you" that its more than an innocuous greeting). i know you were not replying to me, but my quip was not a serious one. i dont mind when people say things like that to me, whether or not we share a religion. more often than not, i think its sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Makes you nostalgic for the good old days when they would wake up at 1 and 2 and 4 in the morning, no?
Or is that just me?

not just you. solidarity.
post #37819 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by in stitches View Post

yes, i agree. people for the most part are just being nice (you can tell from some peoples tone when they say "bless you" that its more than an innocuous greeting). i know you were not replying to me, but my quip was not a serious one. i dont mind when people say things like that to me, whether or not we share a religion. more often than not, i think its sweet.
Depending on who is saying it, I'll respond with "thanks" or "good bye".
post #37820 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post

Depending on who is saying it, I'll respond with "thanks" or "good bye".

i usually say "thank you," as well, or "same to you."
post #37821 of 66585

There's no effin' way that Robocop can take down the Terminator. That's a bunch of shit. Go fuck yourself, guy.

post #37822 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Remember that...he was a socialist...except when he wasn't! laugh.gif
As I said, I only trot that out when I want someone to stop doing it, not every time someone does it. I swear, with some people, it almost becomes a passive aggressive weapon. That's when I go nuclear. wink.gif

Fair enough. I have no problem with asshattery being countered with asshattery.

FWIW, I prefer "salud," especially when it's a guy (for some reason "bless you" always has sounded weird to me when I say it to a dude). It's a bit odd coming from a white American, but it accomplishes the same as "bless you" and "gesundheit" without the associated awkwardness.
post #37823 of 66585
im a "gesundheit" guy, when i say anything at all. peepwall[1].gif
post #37824 of 66585
I can't find my wallet. At best I left it in my dad's car last night when he picked me up from the train station. At worst I left it on the train and will never see it again.baldy[1].gif
post #37825 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH View Post

And how annoying are those pompous assholes who say gesundheit? Amirite?

I say geshundheit.
post #37826 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by death shot View Post

There's no effin' way that Robocop can take down the Terminator. That's a bunch of shit. Go fuck yourself, guy.

Please, the Terminator got taken down by a waitress and Michael Biehn. RoboCop would stomp him.
post #37827 of 66585
Michael Biehn is no ordinary man.
post #37828 of 66585
Why is gesundheit any different from 'salud'? They mean the same thing. I use both, depending on both my mood and the sneezer.

I'm another photic sneezer, btw, L'Incandescent. Solidarity. Sometimes plain bread gives me the hiccups, but buttered bread, bread with olive oil, or bread in a sandwich never does.
post #37829 of 66585
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatlas View Post

Why is gesundheit any different from 'salud'? They mean the same thing.


One is Germanic and the other Latin, and their uses in each differed.

 

I love sneezing.

post #37830 of 66585
vicious headache today. not cool. want to go home and nap, badly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Chat
Styleforum › Forums › General › General Chat › Things that are pissing you off.