Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryBootstagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicCrockett Jonestagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandCrockett Jones Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- topicEdward Greentagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- brandEdward Green Brandtagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
- categoryFootweartagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShell Cordovantagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoes Explainedtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- topicShoe Sizingtagged by LA Guy, 7/20/14
- brandTrickerstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14More
- topicVasstagged by StyleforumRobot, 11/3/14
Related Forum Threads
- Shoe Damage Report & Shoe P0rn Central - Part II Last post on 1/19/17 at 3:58am in Classic Menswear
- HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014) Last post on Today at 12:26 pm in Classic Menswear
- Saint Crispin Leathersoul 401 Utility Balmoral Boot Brown Calfskin Suede UK6 US7 Last post on 8/31/15 at 10:44am in Classic Menswear Classifieds
- The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford Last post on 1/20/17 at 12:57am in Classic Menswear
- Pediwear Shoes - Official Thread Last post on 1/17/17 at 11:16am in Classic Menswear
Allen Edmonds: Sizing Guide
Last edited: 4/29/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X LastLast edited: 4/4/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Hampton LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Leydon LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: Van LastLast edited: 3/24/16
- Allen Edmonds
- The Armoury
- Batch Mens
- Craftsman Clothing
- David Fin
- Deo Veritas
- Drinkwater's Cambridge
- Equus Leather
- Exquisite Trimmings
- Falcon Garments
- Freemans Sporting Club
- A Fine Pair of Shoes
- H. Stockton
- Gentlemen's Footwear
- The Hanger Project
- Henry Blake
- H.N. White
- House of Kydos
- John Elliott
- Kent Wang
- Khaki's of Carmel
- Luxire Custom Clothing
- Meermin Mallorca
- MILER Menswear
- Need Supply Co.
- No Man Walks Alone
- Oliver Cabell
- once a day
- Pierpont Leather
- Portland Dry Goods
- Proper Cloth
- Ring Jacket
- S.E.H Kelly
- Self Edge
- Spier & Mackay
- Standard & Strange
- Suspension Point
- Taylor Stitch
- Uncle Otis
- Vanda Fine Clothing
- Virtual Clotheshorse
- Yellow Hook Necktie
The Shell Cordovan, non-Alden Shoe and Boot Thread - Page 174post #2596 of 32496/3/16 at 9:30ampost #2597 of 32496/3/16 at 3:13pmpost #2598 of 32496/3/16 at 3:43pmMorning sprinkles led to some quixotic attempts to release water welts. This particular pair is very sensitive to spotting, and never wants to let go of the welts.
I still love them, though!
And for heck of it, here are my complementary colored LWBS (warning: Alden content. Avert thine eyes)post #2599 of 32496/3/16 at 4:21pmQuote:The navy looks much sleeker than the Alden.Originally Posted by peppercorn78
Morning sprinkles led to some quixotic attempts to release water welts. This particular pair is very sensitive to spotting, and never wants to let go of the welts.
I still love them, though!
And for heck of it, here are my complementary colored LWBS (warning: Alden content. Avert thine eyes) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)post #2600 of 32496/3/16 at 4:31pmpost #2601 of 32496/3/16 at 4:31pm
Yeah, I think it's a combination of:
1) Carnina Detroit last is sleeker
2) The wing/medallion pattern on the Alden is farther forward, emphasizing the vamp more
3) The Alden has a much wider welt/sole edge.
I love them both.post #2602 of 32496/3/16 at 4:45pmpost #2603 of 32496/3/16 at 4:51pmQuote:Originally Posted by ace13x
Thanks. I was pretty sure about the scuffs, but since I was asking about the rough shell, I figured why not ask just in case. Your point about not being a dress boot is well taken. They're seconds for $529. I think I'm going to pass since the roughness is downer for me. Maybe if they dropped sub $400 like during last years RDA sale (if I recall that sale correctly), I'd feel differently, but I'd ratter wait and spend more for first. Probably in Brown.
I've had good luck with deer bone on rough shell like that. There's zero certainty that a pair of AE or Alden firsts won't have exactly that issue. As shell has become more popular, the number of these questionable examples has increased dramatically.post #2604 of 32496/3/16 at 5:26pmQuote:
I suppose that is the unfortunate case. Though with a first, I can moan about it a lot more before returning it for another shot.
Edit: An excellent description of Cigar.post #2605 of 32496/3/16 at 10:19pmpost #2606 of 32496/4/16 at 12:21ampost #2607 of 32496/7/16 at 3:30pm
One can occasionally locate older Florsheim gunboats in need of new soles and heels to escape the v cleat. These were resoled at B Nelson and the JR soles and heels were used with the antique edge. I thought it was a damn nice job and look for an older shoe.
As an update, I contacted B Nelson about the cost of these changes and received the following response:
JR sole and heel re-craft........$150.00
Antique edges ans stitching N/C
Please note, we antiqued the edges of the sole, mid-sole and, heel bases.
The only way to antique the top of the welts would be to remove and replace them. That's because in order to do the antiquing we have to sand down the original finish/stain. If we sand the top of the welts it would destroy the stitching.
Replacing a 360 storm welt is a $50.00 option.
Edited by smfdoc - 6/8/16 at 8:54ampost #2608 of 32496/8/16 at 8:53ampost #2609 of 32496/8/16 at 2:39pmQuote:
on my pair however, the fit seems to have suddenly worsened this spring (~3 yrs of wear w not enough TLC, bought NOS). I have some guesses about why the uppers at the ball appear roomier, but perhaps a recraft like smfdoc's might bring it back in shape.post #2610 of 32496/9/16 at 6:21am
- Alden Shoes Sizing Guide: 379X Last
- › Carmina Shoes - Official Thread (reviews, advice, sizing, etc...) 5 minutes ago
- › Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata 5 minutes ago
- › BNWT Acne 'Darkwash Moc' Selvedge Jeans 34" x 34" 6 minutes ago
- › John Elliott - official affiliate thread 16 minutes ago
- › Saint Laurent Paris - Official Thread. 44 minutes ago
- › Ongoing Bespoke Projects 53 minutes ago
- › Stile Latino cashmere jacket. 50EU 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Two Rado Watches - Carpe Diem and Cerix 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Official Sales Alert thread 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Alden Brown analine (CXL) Plain toe blucher by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Men's Overlord Oxford, Brown, 8 D US by Lobster33
- › Alden #907 Straight Tip Bal Calfskin by smfdoc
- › Allen Edmonds Leeds 2.0 Derby Men's Shoes Size US 10 D Walnut... by Lobster33
- › Dr. Martens Unisex Original 10 Eye Steel Toe Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Chippewa Men's Super Logger Waterproof Boot by JC Echeverry
- › Mosey Life Working Girl Travel Laptop Tote by sprout2
- › Allen Cox Brief trunks by sprout2
- › Sutor Mantellassi Men's C 567 Oxford by sprout2
- › Alden Burgundy Shell Cordovan Longwing by smfdoc
- › Five Menswear Trends for Fall
- › Don’t “Just Buy a New One”,...
- › Why Pay Such A Premium For Sunspel Or James...
- › In the Details: Lucian Föhr
- › A Sunday Drive: Styleforum Spring GMTOs
- › Should I dryclean my jeans, and if not, how...
- › The 5 Most-Hyped Handbags of the Moment
- › Eight Vignettes in Search of a (Wedding) Theme
- › The Kent Wang Cufflink Giveaway
- › Where to Buy a Last-Minute Wedding Suit for...