or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011) - Page 3

post #31 of 45
Ah, just started watching Smiley's People on youtube. Only chapter 1 has been uploaded. Left me hanging. Couldn't find it available for download either.
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

Ah, just started watching Smiley's People on youtube. Only chapter 1 has been uploaded. Left me hanging. Couldn't find it available for download either.

A must watch. Climactic scene is a tour de force.
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Huh? View Post

I was inspired to check out the book from the library after seeing the trailer last week. So far, not really enjoying it. I don't like that's it written as if the reader is already familiar with the world of espionage and its lingo. And I don't particularly like the scenes involving characters relaying lengthy anecdotes to someone. Imagine mini versions of the Council of Elrond from the Fellowship of The Ring, and you'll know what I'm talking about. The trailer makes it seem more exciting than (it so far) actually is.

The reasons you don't like that book are the reasons I like the books that I like. Off to the library I go!
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Huh? View Post

I was inspired to check out the book from the library after seeing the trailer last week. So far, not really enjoying it. I don't like that's it written as if the reader is already familiar with the world of espionage and its lingo. And I don't particularly like the scenes involving characters relaying lengthy anecdotes to someone. Imagine mini versions of the Council of Elrond from the Fellowship of The Ring, and you'll know what I'm talking about. The trailer makes it seem more exciting than (it so far) actually is.

Agreed. I started reading it a few years ago and stopped after a couple chapters. I just didn't find his writing style to my liking. Hopefully I'll like the movie...I liked the Tailor of Panama (which was a lecarre book I believe).
post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by millionaire75 View Post

I liked the Tailor of Panama (which was a lecarre book I believe).

Yes, it was. I loved that Brosnan played the anti-Bond. He was one devious motherfucker in that movie.
post #36 of 45
New trailer released (UK's trailer) icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #37 of 45
Thread Starter 
IIRC, in the novel, the codenames that Control assigns to the suspects are Tinker, Tailor, Rich Man, Beggar Man, and Thief. The "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" line is never actually used. Anyone?
post #38 of 45
HAven't read the novel but the BBC tv show (from the 70s) goes by the same name. TTSP are the suspects. Beggar man is Smiley but I forget who Thief is (probably the guy that was fucked over in Czechoslovakia - maybe). If the producers were smart they'd have the original TV show released on NEtflix and maybe re-aired on BBC America or something. Doesn't cost much but would make it easy for many people to get into it (but I suppose it takes away from the suspense.
post #39 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

HAven't read the novel but the BBC tv show (from the 70s) goes by the same name. TTSP are the suspects. Beggar man is Smiley but I forget who Thief is (probably the guy that was fucked over in Czechoslovakia - maybe). If the producers were smart they'd have the original TV show released on NEtflix and maybe re-aired on BBC America or something. Doesn't cost much but would make it easy for many people to get into it (but I suppose it takes away from the suspense.

There are 5 suspects:

- George Smiley
- Roy Bland
- Toby Esterhase
- Percy Alleline
- Bill Haydon

Jim Prideaux is not one of the suspects.

Found it on Wikipedia:

"Control, the Circus Chief, assigns the code names "Tinker", "Tailor", "Soldier", "Poorman" and "Beggarman" to various senior intelligence officers under suspicion of being a Soviet mole. The names are derived from the English children's rhyme "Tinker, Tailor". In the book, "Sailor" is not used as it sounds too much like "Tailor" and "Rich Man" is not used as it is not a single word. "Thief" is also not used."
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard369 View Post


There are 5 suspects:

- George Smiley
- Roy Bland
- Toby Esterhase
- Percy Alleline
- Bill Haydon

Jim Prideaux is not one of the suspects.

Found it on Wikipedia:

"Control, the Circus Chief, assigns the code names "Tinker", "Tailor", "Soldier", "Poorman" and "Beggarman" to various senior intelligence officers under suspicion of being a Soviet mole. The names are derived from the English children's rhyme "Tinker, Tailor". In the book, "Sailor" is not used as it sounds too much like "Tailor" and "Rich Man" is not used as it is not a single word. "Thief" is also not used."

I think the most recent trailer,
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT>>>eliminates Smiley as being a suspect.<<
END SPOILER ALERT

There, I said it. Sort of.
post #41 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaboogabooga View Post


I think the most recent trailer,
SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT>>>eliminates Smiley as being a suspect.<<
END SPOILER ALERT

There, I said it. Sort of.

I've read the book and seen the BBC series, so I know who it is, I'm just pointing out the instructions/codenames Control gives the suspects, and how the movie has (already) gotten this wrong.
post #42 of 45
You're saying a movie screwed something up just because the trailer doesn't set the story up as your expect? According to imdb all the characters Reynard listed were cast in the film. So what has the movie (from what you gather through a 2 minute long trailer) gotten wrong?
post #43 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffrey View Post

You're saying a movie screwed something up just because the trailer doesn't set the story up as your expect? According to imdb all the characters Reynard listed were cast in the film. So what has the movie (from what you gather through a 2 minute long trailer) gotten wrong?

The codenames that are given to the characters, according to the trailer, are not accurate to the novel. It's not a big gripe, just an unnecessary "dumbing down" for the slower members of the audiences.
post #44 of 45
Oldman may finally get that deserved Academy Award nomination!
post #45 of 45

.


Edited by deltafoxtrot - 12/8/11 at 1:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Entertainment and Culture
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Entertainment and Culture › Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (2011)