• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2006 to 2008 Lamborghini Gallardo?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody got one?

I have a porsche 993 Twin Turbo right now as my weekend car, but I drove a gallardo the other day, and it was pretty intoxicating.

Looking for any real life owner impressions in terms of quality, service, performance, etc.

Cheers!

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend has a Murcielago. I refuse to drive it, but he says it is worth every penny. He has had Ferrari's and Lotus, Benz AMG and so on.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I did a very small amount of prelim research on those awhile back - the e-gears sound like trouble, I think all of them but especially up to 2007 or 2008, and then newer cars (the LP-550 and 560) are better sorted. That's why ~07 Gallardo e-gears are plentiful and relatively cheap on ebay, especially early ones. The e-gear clutches are soft and can wear out in ridiculously short time, there are stories of guys going through like 4 e-gear clutches in 10K miles. 10K miles would be considered great, and the clutch job itself is about $6K at a private Lambo shop @ $100/hr labor for a lot of hrs (I think it's 20 or 30 hrs), and maybe $9K if you're paying a dealer labor rate. Consider that an average driver might have to do this job more than once per year, yeah.

There is also apparently a way you need to adapt your driving to, so as to not prematurely wear the e-gear clutch any more than you need to.

The Gallardo was basically a pre-release Audi R8; VAG put the Lambo out so that they could make money off the G as a 'cheap' Lambo, while grooming the driveline and chassis to be the Audi halo car.

Anyway, it sounds like much more trouble than it's worth, the Gallardo makes the Ferrari 360 actually seem reliable.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well any sportscar I buy with have 3 pedals and a lever, so e-gear clutch life isn't a huge deal to me. Obviously the manual gearbox will also have a shorter clutch life than the average car, but I won't be slipping it as much.

Something about the 360 makes me say "meh", and I just don't love the 430 interior...in fact I dislike it quite a lot.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link, I read that a little bit ago.

Engine failures seem to be rare, but still something to keep in mind.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you set on the lambo? Why not go for a v10 R8?

Gallardo2501

Reaction score
I loved mine while I had it. I put 12k on it in 2 years (consider the fact that I live in a place that effectively has 7 months of winter, that's A LOT of miles) and never had a issue with it. INTERIOR: It developed a couple of squeaks and rattles, but mine was a 2003, so I would think this should be sorted by the time the vintage you're looking at rolled out (and they were nothing compared to the 348TB I had before that). The SatNav was pure junk, I ended up using a TomTom (again, this may have been sorted). Seating position is great, the seats hold you tight and are good enough (for me) for a 200 mile drive with no back pain. EXTERIOR: Parking can be a bit annoying at first. It's kind of like a truck, you don't really know where the bumper is at first. Other then that it's very livable (no storage space for more then a over night bag) as it is a rather small car, though she's got some hips on'er. THINGS I WOULD HAVE CHANGED: The gear knob (may be the whole lever, I never looked close enough to see if the knob and leaver were one piece, which they very well may be) would have been replaced by a unit from the R8. I've got small hands and I've never liked the large metallic ball knobs (
facepalm.gif
) in Italian cars. I would have had custom floor matte's done as well, mine didn't hold up very well for some reason. CONSUMABLES: Very fair for the category of car. Here's a tip for you, when you replace the rotors and pads (if you have steel brake's that is) you can skip the Lamborghini price's and go with Audi price's! The front brakes are the same as they used on the V8TT RS6 (with a few exceptions, but they most certainly work, I know a couple of guys that use this set up on the track regularly) and apparently the Gallardo's rear's are the same as the fronts on the '03-up Viper SRT-10 (Brembo sourced I'm guessing). The clutch is pretty strong in the manual car, as long as you don't drive everywhere like a 16 year old in a Mustang, same with the tire's. THE DRIVE: Driving feel is wonderful, the AWD only helps. It give's the slightest bit of understeer, and that's at the very edge where most dare not tread. The throttle is smooth and strong, and the chassis only twitch's and writhes in the ways you want, it's a VERY forging car for the hamfisted. The power plant is a master piece, it just go's and go's. The first time I drove it I didn't think the rev's would ever end. The breaking can snap your head forward, and I would think would only be better the the ceramic breaks the model's you're looking at may have. It's a wonderful car, best I've ever owned. I would admit that I would be a bit hesitant swaping a 993 TT for one. The TT is already going up in value, and Gallardo's (even early models) are still going down. If it were my garage, I'd hold on to the Porker for awhile longer and get a early Gallardo in a year or two at a even exchange. As it stands you're still going to be shelling out a good bit of cash out of pocket for it. The car's not going anywhere, and it'll still be just a wonderful in a year or so.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would drive a lot of other cars in the same price bracket before getting the lambo. Maybe upgrading your Porsche to the GT2?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There weren't many 993 GT2's made though
devil.gif
Quite a few years ago when I was in Tokyo once, I'd say it's been about 10 years or more, I see this girl in a Porsche - upon closer inspection it was a real 993 GT2, riveted flares and the BBS mag mesh, and she was literally crawling down the street in it because she was busy yapping on her Hello Kitty-ed out cell phone. What a waste.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I would drive a lot of other cars in the same price bracket before getting the lambo. Maybe upgrading your Porsche to the GT2?

Can't really think of any.

360 is a bit weak on torque and the interior is a bit meh
aston martins don't have impressive performance
things like nobles, loti, etc just have no practicality.

The G is AWD, has decent interior room, excellent performance, and generally decent reliability. I have a daily driver so this would be strictly a weekend car.

They did not import the 993 GT2 to the U.S. and I don't care for the big wing and riveted fender flairs. Not to mention its performance is not that much better than my car, which has a Turbo S ecu, sport cats, mufflers deletes, and some suspension goodies.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not a newer Porsche? At 06 Gallardo prices you can probably get yourself into a 997 Turbo or GT3.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
06-08 Gallardo prices could get you an F430 as well, which seems like a much better, sorted-out car.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mean a 993 GT2, I just thought a modern Porsche might be what he was looking for. I would also think about the R8 for the same price range.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics