or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...) - Page 802

post #12016 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by razl View Post


Yep, been there, done that - though not quite to your level wink.gif
As an aside, I got both the Marlow and Lindrick RTW back in the day when there were deals to be had on them, and still both were a stretch for my wallet at the time. Those are two that I'm still very, very happy that I purchased; no regrets at all.

One tip that works for me is that when I find myself excited about a new find that I'm thinking about purchasing, I force myself to fence sit a reasonable amount of time to evaluate. Many times after a week or so of cooling off, I find I'm thankful that I didn't jump in. In retrospect, all of my worst mistake purchases were ones that I jumped on too quickly.

My last mental test is "what if it disappeared and wasn't available any more, would I regret not getting it?" - that's a great mental exercise for me; it really separates the wheat from the chaff. My Islays, which are from Purdey and on a different last, were exactly that situation since they discontinued them at the end of last season. I actually missed out until I was lucky enough for another buyer in my size for whom they didn't fit contacted me to sell.

 

All good points.  I got into the shell game pretty late, after the Lindrick was discontinued and the prices of the Marlow skyrocketed.  I still remember the most recent RL coupon fiasco (maybe two years ago?) where the Luxottica employee 40% off code leaked and worked on Marlows.  I remember thinking "boy if I wanted to spend a ton of money on those shoes I would be pulling the trigger ASAP, but that's still too much."  Then I probably went out and spent more than what they would've cost on 3 or 4 AE shoes I coveted less over a span of a few months.

 

I've wanted a pair of Marlows for a while, and the current favorable exchange rate caused me to jump in head first to the whisky GMTO, and to also jump on the Lindrick (which is discontinued, and cheaper than what it would be had it still remained in production by C&J/RL).  

 

I agree that sitting on decisions is a great idea.  Right now I'm thinking about how much I'd like to add a tan grain Pembroke, Islay, and chestnut Skye 3 to my arsenal.  Oh and a dark brown grain Pembroke would be nice too.  

 

It's so easy to get carried away.  One thing at a time (or two, in the case of the GMTOs).

post #12017 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheJox View Post

All good points. ... It's so easy to get carried away.  One thing at a time (or two, in the case of the GMTOs).
The good news is you (and I!) are finally on the right track - welcome to the club + congrats! From what I've read, both our stories and wallet damage follow a similar arc to most newbie SFers; I wish there had been a way through the learning process without the gorging + mistakes, but I'm glad I'm finally here.

Upwards and onwards + looking forward to seeing your whiskey MTO! icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
post #12018 of 12860


Okay so the socks ruin the look but was busy today running around town for my wife and comfort was king.
post #12019 of 12860

Just a heads up for the guys in UK. There's a programme called 'Inside the Factory' which will be featuring Crockett & Jones on BBC2 at 8:00pm. 

 

I can't wait :) 

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07th7b1  

post #12020 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvw View Post
 

Just a heads up for the guys in UK. There's a programme called 'Inside the Factory' which will be featuring Crockett & Jones on BBC2 at 8:00pm. 

 

I can't wait :) 

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07th7b1  

will they replay? miss the live show

post #12021 of 12860
Opps I forgot to mention it's on tonight.

It hasn't been played yet but it should be available to watch after.
post #12022 of 12860


Hey mate,

 

Where did you find out about C&J? I looked through all the blurbs about the show, and couldn't find them mentioned anywhere?

post #12023 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDH View Post
 


Hey mate,

 

Where did you find out about C&J? I looked through all the blurbs about the show, and couldn't find them mentioned anywhere?

 

It's on CJ's website :) Will be recording it 

 

http://www.crockettandjones.com/news/index/Crockett-and-Jones-welcomes-BBC-2s-Inside-the-Factory

post #12024 of 12860

Don't get excited - there was very little focus on C&J.  Perhaps, 5 minutes?

 

Most of the show was in the New Balance trainer (sneaker) factory in the UK with short stints in a UK tannery, C&J and a ballet shoe makers.

post #12025 of 12860

Has anyone ever returned shoes to C&J in UK?  If so what shipping carrier did you use?  I know they charge 30 GBP to ship to me, but I can't find any service the twill ship it to them for anywhere near that price.

post #12026 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelnik View Post
 

Has anyone ever returned shoes to C&J in UK?  If so what shipping carrier did you use?  I know they charge 30 GBP to ship to me, but I can't find any service the twill ship it to them for anywhere near that price.


I just got new pair of Cardigan 4's in the mail and the eyelet is off alignment on the left shoe.  This is my first pair of Crocket & Jones.  I also have a pair of cordovan Skye boots coming next week. I hope they are in better condition.  Up until now all my cordovan is almost entirely Alden.  I own 6 pairs of cordovan Aldens and have never had a problem.  I keep having problems with AE and now it seems with C&J.  I'm sure this is just a very rare situation and am doubtful there will be any problems with the Skye's.  I've just had really bad string of luck with new purchases lately.

 

post #12027 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelnik View Post
 


I just got new pair of Cardigan 4's in the mail and the eyelet is off alignment on the left shoe.  This is my first pair of Crocket & Jones.  I also have a pair of cordovan Skye boots coming next week. I hope they are in better condition.  Up until now all my cordovan is almost entirely Alden.  I own 6 pairs of cordovan Aldens and have never had a problem.  I keep having problems with AE and now it seems with C&J.  I'm sure this is just a very rare situation and am doubtful there will be any problems with the Skye's.  I've just had really bad string of luck with new purchases lately.

 


i checked mine and everything is fine. I have at least 15 pairs of crockett and never had something like that. i'm sorry for you but you'll have to send back. I'm sure your skye will be perfect.

post #12028 of 12860


Thank you.  I'm confident it was simply an oversight and that the Skye boots will be fine.  Since you have so many pair can you tell me if you ever had to send any back due to sizing issues?  If so did you send them to the UK or to the New York store?

post #12029 of 12860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelnik View Post


Thank you.  I'm confident it was simply an oversight and that the Skye boots will be fine.  Since you have so many pair can you tell me if you ever had to send any back due to sizing issues?  If so did you send them to the UK or to the New York store?

Fortunatly not but if so i would send back where i bought the shoes or to the crockett store in my country (i live in France). Obviously you should send it back to the vendor.
post #12030 of 12860

Where do you recommend I purchase a pair of Crockett and Jones Selborne at the cheapest possible price (pediwear)? I live in NYC.

 

Thanks 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)