• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Reading SF for a few years now, I've come to realize there are some guys here that seem like they would **** your throat for wearing a tie the wrong way, and others who simply don't care too much (just enough to look better than the next guy). So, where are you in that regard?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a hobby, albeit one that I enjoy. I may debate about the finer points of some elements more than others, but I believe that once you get militant about it, you stop enjoying it. This is also one of the reasons that I am hesitant to participate in the WAYWRN thread. While I've several outfits that I enjoy (and ones that I'd say are certainly SF approved), I am not necessarily sure I care enough about the opinions of the vast majority on SF. At the end of the day, those of us who are on SF are narcissistic and vain to an extent. And that brings with a certain type of persona more so than a forum that discusses, shall we say, gardening. Outside of discussions that are genuinely interesting (e.g. Manton on business casual or Vox on the multi-fold tie), I have learned to steer clear of the argumentative ones. Or at least stop at posting pictures of attractive women and snarky comments.
laugh.gif
For one, I do not know enough. And for another, even when I do, I do not care enough. They are only clothes, after all.
smile.gif

Raralith

Reaction score
I like clothing and I do spend time on deciding what to buy and wear as this is all hard earned discressionary income. I also like to be knowledgable in the field like all the things I do in life whether it is something as complicated as my wife (flowers, Apple products, not being mean to her) or job (talk **** but be nice about it, bribe people with food) , or a hobby like cigars (to much to list). That being said, I know most people I interact with don't care much for clothing, and since I am a rather friendly individual, I care more on how well you can hold a conversation than your clothing style. Don't get me wrong, first impressions do count so I do notice and commented on clothing, but I like to "shoot the ****" as they say. My vote went to "a good bit."

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
It's a hobby, albeit one that I enjoy.
I may debate about the finer points of some elements more than others, but I believe that once you get militant about it, you stop enjoying it.

This is also one of the reasons that I am hesitant to participate in the WAYWRN thread. While I've several outfits that I enjoy (and ones that I'd say are certainly SF approved), I am not necessarily sure I care enough about the opinions of the vast majority on SF.

At the end of the day, those of us who are on SF are narcissistic and vain to an extent. And that brings with a certain type of persona more so than a forum that discusses, shall we say, gardening. Outside of discussions that are genuinely interesting (e.g. Manton on business casual or Vox on the multi-fold tie), I have learned to steer clear of the argumentative ones. Or at least stop at posting pictures of attractive women and snarky comments.
laugh.gif

For one, I do not know enough. And for another, even when I do, I do not care enough. They are only clothes, after all.
smile.gif

+1. RSS put it quite well in the Rubinacci thread:

Originally Posted by RSS
Of course not. In the grand scheme of things ... clothing is relatively minor from my point of view. That is probably why I enjoy talking about clothes ... doing so takes my mind off things that are ... well ... more pressing. It's a lesser form of meditation in the way it clears the mind.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How seriously do you take style and clothing?

Very

next question

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where is the miller high life + tailored clothing option?!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like clothing and try to look good most of the time, but there are days when I don't give a crap.

Mr T

Reaction score
I agree with Metlin. I will appreciate and acknowledge another well dressed person (man or woman) but don't notice if others are not well dressed. It is only clothes after all.

Except recently a co-worker wore his one rumpled suit with hiking boots and I almost suggested he buy dress shoes...does that make me a snob?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm between 2 and 3, since I could argue about pant color with another man, but only because it's a hobby I enjoy. I don't sweat too much if I'm stuck wearing an old t-shirt outside the house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads