or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing - Page 430

post #6436 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncrd View Post

I still don't get Yoox. I check the sample sale stuff a couple times a day, and things like this just pop in and out without any apparent pattern.
I think all these few additions to the sample sale are simply returns...Waiting for the next codes of at least 20% off from the new collection
post #6437 of 6715
is this a decent value? i like the coat but not what it's "worth"

VERSACE VERSUS
post #6438 of 6715
Quote:

Hope you enjoy those great pants and have the honor to own this pants were wore before for this great and important business man of the history.

facepalm.gif
post #6439 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHo View Post

is this a decent value? i like the coat but not what it's "worth"
VERSACE VERSUS

Nope. You can snag it for $49, nobody is going to use that BIN.
post #6440 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post

Press was the first american retailer to sell Brioni, they did so till the 70s.

I was surprised to learn that they used brioni in the 60s, but I am not certain they were the first.

Altman's, a long-gone dept store that built the grand building on the NE corner of 5th and 34th, found them in the 50s, as did, I believe, Battaglia, which survives in its Beverly Hills location.
post #6441 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by clausc View Post

I think all these few additions to the sample sale are simply returns...Waiting for the next codes of at least 20% off from the new collection

It's pretty funny on Yoox right now. There are 195 items left under "Blazers" in the Sample Sale, of which 65 are Armani Collezioni. Either SF has convinced the world not by the stuff, or they had a bazillion of them to start with.
post #6442 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack11211 View Post

I was surprised to learn that they used brioni in the 60s, but I am not certain they were the first.
Altman's, a long-gone dept store that built the grand building on the NE corner of 5th and 34th, found them in the 50s, as did, I believe, Battaglia, which survives in its Beverly Hills location.

Hmm, I think I read that Press "introduced" Brioni to America in a Boyer book, or at "Ivy style" perhaps.
post #6443 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post

Hmm, I think I read that Press "introduced" Brioni to America in a Boyer book, or at "Ivy style" perhaps.

Just re-checked my sources.

Battaglia was an early importer of Italian luxury menswear, but I'm not sure about Brioni specifically.

Roetzel in THE GENTLEMAN says Altman's responded to Brioni's line at the third Pitti Uomo in Florence in '52 and further says that by the mid-50s, "Brioni clothes could be bought at 22 stores on the American continent."

Wikipedia says that "in 1954, Brioni held a fashion show in New York City, followed by shows in eight other American cities. That year, Brioni opened new shops on both sides of the Atlantic."

Their promo work got a lot of press, such as this spread in LIFE in 1955:

469

The text says that the line was picked up by 22 of the 25 stores of the Associated Merchandising Corp, which included Filene's in Boston and Bullock's in California. AMC was what it sounds like: a buying organization for independent department stores.

Now, at the time of Roetzel's writing, Altman's was 10 years dead. I suspect Roetzel was talking to people at Brioni. Press is a going concern. If Boyer got his info from Press, I would trust Roetzel here.

For more fun Brioni pix, such as an in-pool fashion show, check this.
Edited by mack11211 - 11/4/11 at 11:27pm
post #6444 of 6715
Some guy is selling this size 15 Phineas Cole dandyriffic shirt that he got too fat to wear.

IMG_0977.jpg?t=1319597201
post #6445 of 6715
Very nice RLPL subtle plaid wool/cashmere sport coats. NWT for $649. Sizes 42L and 44R.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=purple+label+wool+cashmere+blazer&_sacat=3002&_ssn=msand1&_odkw=purple+label&_osacat=3002&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
post #6446 of 6715
^ If only that shoulder measurement was an inch smaller I'd be all over that 42L
post #6447 of 6715
325 OBO for a 38 Ralph Lauren Purple Label suit by Chester Barrie here.
post #6448 of 6715

If only that was 2 button, I'd have bought it by now - good price! I can't tell whether it's a 3 roll 2 or a straight 3 button suit.

post #6449 of 6715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Nelson View Post

If only that was 2 button, I'd have bought it by now - good price! I can't tell whether it's a 3 roll 2 or a straight 3 button suit.
Looks like a 3 button.
post #6450 of 6715



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellodocks View Post

Looks like a 3 button.


Thanks! I do believe you're right and I feel better about not buying it now :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › ebay suits, sportcoats, and other clothing