• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When dining alone, is it rude to read?

computerpro3

Reaction score
Something I'm debating on personally....

When dining alone at a fine establishment (not necessarily French Laundry, but definitely a nicer local place) with the goal of having a leisurely lunch, is it rude to bring reading material - say a book or newspaper?

What about surfing the web on a cellphone? And ereader? iPad?

These are all things I've seen people doing lately - and admittedly, am tempted to do myself. After all, what can be better than duck fat fries and Dostoevsky? The one thing that stops me is that I'm concerned it may be standoffish to the waiter or the chef.

Opinions?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the **** would you think that's rude?

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not rude.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was out for a steak on Sun night at my local kick azz italian place and I almost ALWAYS take a magazine to read. I don't do the Berry thing and never talk when I get a cal...

computerpro3

Reaction score
Not sure why I think it's rude. I think the phone I could probably get away with, but I'm wondering if people would roll their eyes if I was using the Nook/iPad/larger size technology.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd feel sorry for you if I looked over and saw you reading something by yourself at a restaurant. No offense.

Icehawk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Why?

You just look lonely.

I loved travelling for work except the eating alone part... but yeah, I'd read a book or magazine when I would go out to eat most times.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Where in Cincinnati will you be dining?
My usual nicer lunch spots are Via Vite, Jean Robert's Table, and The Bistro (the old Jean Ro). For hole in the wall type places, Krishna Indian, Ramundo's Pizza, Terry's Turf Club.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do it all the time, all the ******* time

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Seriously? What in the hell would inspire you to ask such a stupid ******* question?

In a forum full of helicopter-parented nancies asking advice/approval on how to perform the most mundane of tasks, this might be the stupidest question ever asked on here.

Do you honestly think society expects you to sit there and eat, expressionless, staring straight ahead for your entire meal? And if society did, would you even want to be a part of it?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Seriously? What in the hell would inspire you to ask such a stupid ******* question? In a forum full of helicopter-parented nancies asking advice/approval on how to perform the most mundane of tasks, this might be the stupidest question ever asked on here. Do you honestly think society expects you to sit there and eat, expressionless, staring straight ahead for your entire meal? And if society did, would you even want to be a part of it?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
One of the great pleasures in life is Sunday brunch with the Sunday newspaper or a book. Just forget about the world for a couple of hours.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm surprised how many times threads on dining alone get starting and how many people seem to have a problem with dining by themselves. Hell, I'm going out for lunch along today, just to relax and not have to talk to anyone but the wait staff.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Seriously? What in the hell would inspire you to ask such a stupid ******* question?

In a forum full of helicopter-parented nancies asking advice/approval on how to perform the most mundane of tasks, this might be the stupidest question ever asked on here.

Do you honestly think society expects you to sit there and eat, expressionless, staring straight ahead for your entire meal? And if society did, would you even want to be a part of it?

Spot on FL-Mt-Man!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads