1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

When dining alone, is it rude to read?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by computerpro3, Feb 3, 2011.

1. computerpro3

computerpro3 Well-Known Member

Seriously? What in the hell would inspire you to ask such a stupid fucking question?

In a forum full of helicopter-parented nancies asking advice/approval on how to perform the most mundane of tasks, this might be the stupidest question ever asked on here.

Do you honestly think society expects you to sit there and eat, expressionless, staring straight ahead for your entire meal? And if society did, would you even want to be a part of it?

I was hoping to provoke you?

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I was hoping to provoke you?

Nice try. Your body of work make Edina look positively glorious.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

anyone who travels for work does this all the time. I do it almost everyday.

5. computerpro3

Personally, I think it's the pearl necklace you gave him that accomplished that. I have a feeling the responses would have been markedly different if I added some snark to the OP; perhaps worded, "Are you ok with being that douchebag with the iPad at Lola?"

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it's the pearl necklace you gave him that accomplished that.

I have a feeling the responses would have been markedly different if I added some snark to the OP; perhaps worded, "Are you ok with being that douchebag with the iPad at Lola?"

No, it's still a stupid, insecure question and the lulz would ensue regardless.

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I remember sitting in a *** restaurant in Paris one evening watching a plump Parisienne eat alone, read a book and have a few cigarettes, all with her dog at her feet. I was thinking that she looked like the most content person in the whole fucking place.

8. DerekS

DerekS Well-Known Member

Seriously? What in the hell would inspire you to ask such a stupid fucking question?

In a forum full of helicopter-parented nancies asking advice/approval on how to perform the most mundane of tasks, this might be the stupidest question ever asked on here.

Do you honestly think society expects you to sit there and eat, expressionless, staring straight ahead for your entire meal? And if society did, would you even want to be a part of it?

bahahahahahahahaha

9. randallr

randallr Well-Known Member

Y'all are fucking spewing some hate.

@FLMM nobody could ever be more fucking useless than Edina. In fact, he's so stupid I feel sick just acknowledging his presence. He starts like 10 threads about a girl being into him or about how much of a loner he is. Fuck...I have to go throw-up now.

10. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

Reading a book at a meal is awkward - too much concentration required.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Well-Known Member

HOLD UP NOW...

about how much of a loner he is.

That's all Tagut right there.

12. randallr

randallr Well-Known Member

HOLD UP NOW... That's all Tagut right there.
    Hah...that was really mean. I just felt like degrading someone from the comfort of my own home and safety of the interwebz. It's been a long day. Sorry.

13. TheSauceBoss

TheSauceBoss Well-Known Member

You just look lonely.

I loved traveling for work except the eating alone part... but yeah, I'd read a book or magazine when I would go out to eat most times.

I agree. Back in the day, my job involved some travel and it sucked going to a restaurant alone.

14. computerpro3

No, it's still a stupid, insecure question and the lulz would ensue regardless.

Don't even pretend you'd whip out an ipad at Per se

15. kwilkinson

I thought the entire point of this thread was that the restaurant wasn't as nice as Per Se. [​IMG] . If I was eating alone at Per Se, I'd probably be so wrapped up in the food/wine that I wouldn't give a thought to reading.

16. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

I agree. Back in the day, my job involved some travel and it sucked going to a restaurant alone.

Pussy. I enjoy eating out alone the few chances I get to. In those situations, I always have something to read with me.

17. computerpro3

I thought the entire point of this thread was that the restaurant wasn't as nice as Per Se. [​IMG] . If I was eating alone at Per Se, I'd probably be so wrapped up in the food/wine that I wouldn't give a thought to reading.
    I guess I didn't clarify...not quite as nice as per se, but a place with real linens and perhaps a well regarded chef. $30-40 dinner entree, 15-20 lunch. Something like Nicola in Cincinnati, Lola in Cleveland, maybe a restaurant in an upscale hotel chain like the Ritz, etc. I'm not talking about Chili's....

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Like I said, I saw a woman reading by herself at Lucas Carton, which was a lot more elegant than Per Se, and she looked comfortable and happy.

19. kwilkinson

I guess I didn't clarify...not quite as nice as per se, but a place with real linens and perhaps a well regarded chef. $30-40 dinner entree, 15-20 lunch. Something like Nicola in Cincinnati, Lola in Cleveland, maybe a restaurant in an upscale hotel chain like the Ritz, etc. I'm not talking about Chili's....

I just don't see why you think it would be rude. It's your table, you've paid for it (or will pay for it). Why do you care what other people think anyway?

20. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

i used to do this, and the other lone diners who didn't think to bring a novel would always come interrupt me to chat, which was rude.