or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › new pre-workout supplement
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

new pre-workout supplement - Page 2

post #16 of 38
pre-workout supplements that work work because it contains caffeine. you're better off just drinking some diet soda (to avoid the calories) or drinking some coffee because it's much cheaper. the caffeine in pre-workout supplements is what's giving you that added energy, not the other stuff, but the added energy gives people that biofeedback to make them think all that other stuff is working too (logically speaking, people forget that correlation is not necessarily causation).
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash1080 View Post
If you're TOO tired to workout without an energy supp you shouldn't be working out in the first place.

+1, if you can't give your 100%, don't bother and get some sleep. Will be much more beneficial for yourself.

Other than that, a piece of fruit and a cup of coffee/caffeine works wonder.
post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_a_virus.exe View Post
pre-workout supplements that work work because it contains caffeine. you're better off just drinking some diet soda (to avoid the calories) or drinking some coffee because it's much cheaper. the caffeine in pre-workout supplements is what's giving you that added energy, not the other stuff, but the added energy gives people that biofeedback to make them think all that other stuff is working too (logically speaking, people forget that correlation is not necessarily causation).


There are more stimulants in the world then caffeine. You get stimulants with ephadrine and 1-3 dimeth in them and considering both of those are used as recreational drugs you'd think that they work as stimulants. I used to take ephadrine every morning because I was tired and it definitely gave me a buzz.
post #19 of 38
+1 for Jack3d. Grape is the best in my opinion.
post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji View Post
There are more stimulants in the world then caffeine. You get stimulants with ephadrine and 1-3 dimeth in them and considering both of those are used as recreational drugs you'd think that they work as stimulants. I used to take ephadrine every morning because I was tired and it definitely gave me a buzz.

Yes, E/C stack works very well (I've been using them this past month or two) but really, most of the stuff on the market is just caffeine and some little stuff that doesn't really matter.
post #21 of 38
I've found recovery to be easier with the consumption of proteins before a massive work-out or a race. Someone already mentioned Chocolate milk - it's probably not a bad idea, but I prefer a bubble tea with soy milk about 4 hours before the event. I've found the electrolyte mixes with protein to be beneficial as well. Coffee / caffeine works for some - but all it does for me is elevate my heart rate. I know that its suppose help replace glycogen faster, but for shorter races its not really beneficial. I've found that I perform better when I'm calm & less jittery. I also feel like my endurance is stronger without it.
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus646 View Post
Yes, E/C stack works very well (I've been using them this past month or two) but really, most of the stuff on the market is just caffeine and some little stuff that doesn't really matter.
I haven't been able to find ephedrine for some time now
post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop86 View Post
I appreciate all the responses, but most of these suggestions have beta-alanine in them including Jack3d and Black Powder. So far I've found the following:

USP Labs - Jack3d - works great but has beta-alanine
VPX - No-Shotgun - works great but has beta-alanine
MRI - Black Powder - have heard good things, has beta-alanine
Controlled Labs - White Flood - heard good things, has beta-alanine
MuscleTech - No-Xplode - stops working after a week, no beta-alanine
Gaspari Nutrition - Superpump250 - works ok, nothing special

Why no beta-alanine? Tests have shown that it helps with endurance. In fact my strength coach recommended it as it was NCAA safe and effective.
post #24 of 38
Also, Muscle Pharm's Assault has gotten pretty decent reviews on bb.com

Never tried it myself, I prefer jack3d and white flood.
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverly View Post
I've found recovery to be easier with the consumption of proteins before a massive work-out or a race.

Someone already mentioned Chocolate milk - it's probably not a bad idea, but I prefer a bubble tea with soy milk about 4 hours before the event.

I've found the electrolyte mixes with protein to be beneficial as well.

Coffee / caffeine works for some - but all it does for me is elevate my heart rate. I know that its suppose help replace glycogen faster, but for shorter races its not really beneficial.

I've found that I perform better when I'm calm & less jittery. I also feel like my endurance is stronger without it.
how do you know recovery is easier? you have access to lab equipment to actually measure this? and how would compare your recovery when there a hundred other factors that you need to control? do you even know what to look for to measure "recovery?" if you're not able to answer these questions, you're likely just experiencing a placebo effect.

caffeine may or may not work for everyone. you just have to try and see how it works for you.
post #26 of 38
Moderate amount of carbs and a caffeine pill (or cup of coffee if you are sensitive to caffeine) is all you need if your dragging ass before you go to the gym. Almost all pre-workout stims contain caffeine and sugar+other shit that may or may not actually do anything. Save your money and get the same results, pretty simple really.
post #27 of 38
Is it proven that beta-alanine is a root cause of acne breakouts? i'm just wondering because I've been using jack3d for the past month and I noticed I've been breaking out as of lately. I never correlated the two.
post #28 of 38
When I was living in China I was switched to Vega due to the lack of vitamins I wasn't getting in my diet at the time. Since switching to it I haven't used any other protein powder due to the noticeable difference in how it has affected my energy levels.

The stuff is decent and mixes rather easily and, like I said, you can notice a difference in your energy levels (you don't get a heart-thumping jolt, it's more of a gradual increase)

The only problem I had with it was when I first started I was making my mix with two scoops and this ended up giving me the shits. When I started making the mixes with just one scoop I found the shits went away. So now I make one mix about 30 to 40 minutes before my workout and then another mix after dinner.

It's received a lot of positive reviews on BB, but the on about it being gritty is true.
post #29 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2balls View Post
Is it proven that beta-alanine is a root cause of acne breakouts? i'm just wondering because I've been using jack3d for the past month and I noticed I've been breaking out as of lately. I never correlated the two.

No it is not proven anywhere or even talked about anywhere online really. Every supp I've used with BA has caused it though and the two without BA (No-Xplode and SuperPump250) didn't.

Anyway I think I'm going to give this a try.
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_D...id=31&pid=6784

Also, to the coffee people, the only convenient place for me to get coffee is through a "coffee hut" and it's like $2.50 for a small cup. Even paying full GNC prices any of these supps are cheaper than that per serving.
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles_ View Post
I haven't been able to find ephedrine for some time now

http://www.drugstore.com/bronkaid-du...msrch=bronkaid
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Health & Body
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Health & Body › new pre-workout supplement