• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cleverley

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
They sure get their dose PR don't they

I have no problem with Cleverley (the firm) getting their PR, I find it amusing how Glasgow Junior gets built-up all of a sudden as the heir apparent and pushed by his dad into the PR limelight.

Judging by the picture, Glasgow Junior is not a young lad of eighteen, nevertheless he only just started in the business (shoe - PR whatever) a year or two ago. Whatever Junior did, he did not work for the firm and presumably worked in something else. Why that rather late conversion to shoemaking, a business he should have started in some fifteen years or so earlier.

Glasgow Senior is not a shoemaker by training, but a front-of-house salesman (the shoe expert in the Cleverley firm is John Carnera, who as far as I know, has by now virtually (or totally) retired). I'm certain, having worked some 42 years in the shoe trade, there is not a lot about shoemaking Glasgow Senior does not know, but how long will Glasgow Junior take to acquire this knowledge? Apparently the two sons of John Hunter Lobb had a thorough training in the physical aspects of shoemaking.

Let's hope Glasgow Junior is ready to get his hands dirty and is willing to learn all aspects of shoemaking, even work in other firms to get a feel for the differences (and similarities), and is not just a handsome face in a nice suit.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I have no problem with Cleverley (the firm) getting their PR, I find it amusing how Glasgow Junior gets built-up all of a sudden as the heir apparent and pushed by his dad into the PR limelight.

Judging by the picture, Glasgow Junior is not a young lad of eighteen, nevertheless he only just started in the business (shoe - PR whatever) a year or two ago. Whatever Junior did, he did not work for the firm and presumably worked in something else. Why that rather late conversion to shoemaking, a business he should have started in some fifteen years or so earlier.

Glasgow Senior is not a shoemaker by training, but a front-of-house salesman (the shoe expert in the Cleverley firm is John Carnera, who as far as I know, has by now virtually (or totally) retired). I'm certain, having worked some 42 years in the shoe trade, there is not a lot about shoemaking Glasgow Senior does not know, but how long will Glasgow Junior take to acquire this knowledge? Apparently the two sons of John Hunter Lobb had a thorough training in the physical aspects of shoemaking.

Let's hope Glasgow Junior is ready to get his hands dirty and is willing to learn all aspects of shoemaking, even work in other firms to get a feel for the differences (and similarities), and is not just a handsome face in a nice suit.

I agree with most of this, George Sr often gets talked up like he's a deity of shoe making, when the truth is he is a good salesman and might just about manage to polish shoes let along make them. But however he takes his shoes seriously and is very passionate about his product.

Yes it would be good if George Jr was apprenticed by someone such as Dominic Casey in the art thus adding more credence to the brand he may inherit in the years ahead.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the whole George Sr and Jr thing mentioned by B-S different from Mario and Luca R ?

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I saw this article recently, and was more alarmed by how young the authour looked. This Simon Rich character looked barely prepubescent in the titlepage.

Still, an editor, or spell-checking software, might have known how to spell survivor. Incredible.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
Still, an editor, or spell-checking software, might have known how to spell survivor. Incredible.
Good one.
lol8[1].gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

You've unsettled me.

- B

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cdmoore1855
George Sr often gets talked up like he's a deity of shoe making, when the truth is he is a good salesman and might just about manage to polish shoes let along make them.

I recently queried Mr. Glasgow Sr. about a 20-year-old pair of N&L bespokes - gave him the date and number from the shoe - and he wrote back saying that he had made them.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
You've unsettled me.

- B

B,

Just wanted to let you know that I noticed two things in this thread that you have a connection with.

Best,

-K

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Glasgow Senior is not a shoemaker by training, but a front-of-house salesman (the shoe expert in the Cleverley firm is John Carnera, who as far as I know, has by now virtually (or totally) retired). I’m certain, having worked some 42 years in the shoe trade, there is not a lot about shoemaking Glasgow Senior does not know, but how long will Glasgow Junior take to acquire this knowledge? Apparently the two sons of John Hunter Lobb had a thorough training in the physical aspects of shoemaking.

Let’s hope Glasgow Junior is ready to get his hands dirty and is willing to learn all aspects of shoemaking, even work in other firms to get a feel for the differences (and similarities), and is not just a handsome face in a nice suit.

I have known George Glasgow and John Carnera for over thirty years. Regardless of his lack of training, George (the elder) has a deep and keen understanding of shoemaking. I have met George (the younger) and he is certainly an energetic young man who has a knack for the business and public relations sides of the equation. He also has a somewhat more "modern" approach to style (though I don't know whether this is a question of aesthetics or marketing). Keep in mind that public relations has always been an important part of the Cleverley-approach. Cleverley is not a deep-rooted shoemaker with lots of history. The present company is less than twenty years old. It really is not the same Cleverley's as when G.J. Cleverley had his own shop. John and George worked with him in the later years of his life after he had ended his own business and was doing work with New & Lingwood. There is no question that he worked closely with John and George during that time and they learned a great deal from him. When they left New & Lingwood in the early 1990's, they named the new firm after him...it was a tribute to him as an individual but they certainly also wanted to carry on the tradition and styles with which he is associated. By the way, John's son, Dario, opted to become a tailor rather than a shoemaker...first training at Fallan and Harvey and then moving on to Huntsman.

cdmoore1855

Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
I recently queried Mr. Glasgow Sr. about a 20-year-old pair of N&L bespokes - gave him the date and number from the shoe - and he wrote back saying that he had made them.

I was told he is not a shoe maker, he may have been at N&L at the time they were made

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads