• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unjung's Bespoke Adventure (special appearance by Vox)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So time to try out bespoke or something close to it, in a city that really doesn't do it (Calgary). Giovanni has been discussed on this forum before, very briefly, for his alterations. I have had fair success with taking in jackets, sleeves and other more minor things with him. He claims to be one of the few tailors in Canada able to do true bespoke, although I doubt there is really anyone here who can say who can and who can't. What I do know is that he is very Italian, has a shop full of old Italians (some staff, some friends), that his father owned a shop in Milan (I will try to get the name, I keep forgetting to ask), that he was trained in Italy, now returns frequently to teach tailoring there, and knows Savile Row names. He purchases his fabrics in Italy and England and has a good variety of names we see here regularly (lots of H&S) and some we don't. Giovanni's shop is small so much of the work is done off-site, in a larger facility elsewhere in the city. I have seen photos and he has agreed to let me visit and I intend to. He employs about eight people, and they apparently make a few dozen suits a month. I know he makes them for one particular city politician in particular who is known for dressing pretty well. He insists much of the work is hand-work. This is my first attempt at bespoke or even MTM. I suspect I will end up with something in between. I keep forgetting if he keeps a pattern or not. We will do several fittings, the number seems to vary. Today, when I was actually measured, he used the number three, but I think it could change. He knows me somewhat well (I guess especially that I am young), but at the same time wants to give me something classic and leans toward the more structured, again referencing SR, especially G&H. This may be because in this city, to have a style that leans too much in any direction would eliminate most of your customers, and there are no alternatives. But again, he seems to go British more than Italian. Enough reading tells me not to try to give too much direction to the tailor, but not too little. I am on the too-little side of things right now and hope that if there are any issues they will be fixed through the fittings. He has seen many of my current suits, and I have a collection of things I like, so I think we will do okay. We have agreed this is a first try. I have asked about a house style and he indicated he doesn't really have one. The suit will be fully canvassed, made from a navy worsted wool. I wanted something less expensive, since this is a trial, and also versatile and hopefully durable, so that's why I went that direction. Further, it's a fabric from Raymond, which I know isn't highly rated here, if at all, but it feels good and he seems to have a lot of confidence in it, and I need to trust him. It's an 11 oz super 110 Lineage Solitaire. The suit will be a standard two-button, notch lapel (he said something about the latest from Milan, I said fine), side vents, flap pockets, three internal pockets, three button surgeon cuff. I told him originally to do frog-mouth pockets on the slacks but am going to change this to 1/4 tomorrow, I think. Other than that, nothing crazy. In two or three weeks he will give me a call and I will stop in for the first fitting. Measurements today were pretty sparse, just the basics, then discussion of features. Perhaps this is normal. He has a standard form he scrawled on. I will keep the thread updated as I go along. Please let me know if you have any hot tips I'm not aware of for getting a good result.
Rc0RJl.jpg
wiir8l.jpg
g3N6Xl.jpg
YS7Ubl.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll read your post when I'm on the commode next, but my general impression from scanning the pics is positive.

What are your physical deformities again? A bulleted list would be useful.

- B

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I'll read your post when I'm on the commode next, but my general impression from scanning the pics is positive.

What are your physical deformities again? A bulleted list would be useful.

- B

Apparently my shoulders drop an inch and a half, and this same measure reappears elsewhere on my body, like some sort of golden ratio for unjung. I am "athletic," six feet tall or so, and enjoy the outdoors.

He also checked my foot size (9.5US). He wanted to go with a pant wider at the knee than what I was wearing, so I had to tell him to stay there - 9" knee, 8" hem.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Apparently my shoulders drop an inch and a half, and this same measure reappears elsewhere on my body, like some sort of golden ratio for unjung. I am "athletic," six feet tall or so, and enjoy the outdoors.

He also checked my foot size (9.5US). He wanted to go with a pant wider at the knee than what I was wearing, so I had to tell him to stay there - 9" knee, 8" hem.

Pics look pretty good...make sure that he sees you in the RTW that you like the most.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Look forward to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

- B

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung

9" knee is too narrow for a custom trouser for your size. Take his advice and see. You can always reduce the leg but you cannot make it bigger. Jeans are bigger than 9" at the knee. Do your thighs resemble pencils?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definitely will be keeping my eye on this thread. Thanks for taking the initiative to document this.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's always fun and interesting to read about people's experiences getting nice clothes. Keep the reports coming!
smile.gif

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went in today for my first fitting. It went well. I was quite impressed with how close the fit already was. We agreed to extend the length of the jacket by about half an inch. The sleeve length was right on. We also brought in the body just a tiny bit. There will be a bit of pulling on the button, which I like. The suit is full canvas, with quite a bit of handwork to finish, although much of the initial work is done by machine (I have no issue with this). Giovanni can do a full handwork suit but the cost is three to four times as much.

The shop was quite busy, with one younger guy already trying on a skeleton at his first fitting when I arrived. It was good to see that another person in their 20s getting into this in this God-forsaken country. Another gent popped in with his wife to try on some pants and a jacket while I was waiting for the first. So the shop clearly does a lot of business.

All images link to larger versions.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went in to discuss the finishing touches today. Gio was hand-stitching the lapel when I arrived:

He wasn't quite done everything, and hadn't pressed the suit, but we are nearly there. He figured he would be done today. To me the thing looks really outstanding. The thing fits unbelievably well, and the detailing all around is great.

It's like the thing is painted on. Buttoning stance was exactly where I wanted it, waist suppression is perfect, no divots on the shoulders. We agreed to let the length of the pants out by a tiny bit, and in retrospect, they could have been a bit looser in the thigh, but I'm not worried.

I will be going back for round two ASAP.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not bad so far.

Consider more length in the pants, and be sure to judge the fit around the collar with your shirt collar buttoned.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads