• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Bayfield boot- any experiences?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was considering getting these boots as my main nice pair of dress shoes, and was wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience with them. I wanted them because they have the rubber sole (good traction), would work well in the puddles of the PNW, and would allow my trousers to be cut breakless without showing sock... let me know if I'm misinformed about any of this. I thought I should get black so they look as formal as possible, since boots with a suit can give off a casual appearance?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Bayfield_Boot_Black.jpg

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Showing sock isn't neccecarally a bad thing. Get interesting socks.

2. AE mades shoes that have rubber soles as well. Look at the executive collection, or have a topy put on a shoe.

3. Boots are fine, but if worn constantly, you become "the guy in the boots". I wouldn't want to have them as my primary shoe. As part of a rotation, certainly, but not as my only dress shoe.

And actually, in terms of formality, boots are more formal then oxfords. The main concern is that not many will have seen it before, and will just think in weird instead of knowing the formality. Of course, in the pacific NW, weird is pretty common so you might be alright.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That's actually quite a once looking boot but is there any other footwear brand than Allen ******* Edmonds? Can you lot not just set up your own sub forum rather than bringing AE **** up on a daily basis? Am I the only one around here that's sick to death of hourly AE threads popping up?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
That's actually quite a once looking boot but is there any other footwear brand than Allen ******* Edmonds? Can you lot not just set up your own sub forum rather than bringing AE **** up on a daily basis? Am I the only one around here that's sick to death of hourly AE threads popping up?

You don't sound like a nice man here. The thread is clearly marked AE in the title. No one is making you read it. This is the MC forum where this question belongs.
Nice boots, BTW. I'd probably get the brown but they look great for foul weather. I can hardly wait for the seconds.
devil.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Hey this is my first ever shoe-related post on SF, honestly I'm sick of seeing AE threads too but what are ya gonna do
wink.gif
I'm open to any other brand that sells boots in this style (rubber sole, available in wide size, etc), anyone know of any?

hattori_gonzo

Reaction score
just ordered mine in black from another member, I think I will wear it more casual than formal, with dark denim or something like that. Can't wait to have them

Haters are everywhere you go. this is also my first discussion about AE. Just love the boot. It could be allens or whatever I would like it the same.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hattori_gonzo
Haters are everywhere you go. this is also my first discussion about AE.

This is exactly how my love affair with AE seconds began.

- B

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had them( the past iiteration from AE circa 1995?) in burgundy and in black, it's a great boot for the money. I never tire of reading threads about quality shoes, even Alden
devil.gif

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
I've had them( the past iiteration from AE circa 1995?) in burgundy and in black, it's a great boot for the money.

$350 is a good deal? I thought that was pretty pricey... I'm used to paying more like $150 or 200, but if no other shoemaker makes something like the Bayfield I'll settle for it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^For AEs? First, boots cost more then normal shoes due to the increased material and labor, but allen edmonds is also a higher end shoe then you've likely been getting.

Certainly 350 is what you would expect at retail for a boot made to AE's quality. Ignore the protestations on this forum about them not being worth retail, the people on this board are leeches and never buy anything at retail, even if it drives them to ridiculous extremes.

...myself included. But if you have the means, go right ahead.

TallEd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Factor Xll
waiting for a deal for these, hopefully soon.

These shoes haven't even gone on sale yet on AE's website, you might be waiting a minute.

Factor Xll

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TallEd
These shoes haven't even gone on sale yet on AE's website, you might be waiting a minute.

Its on there already and i can add it to my cart. So whats wrong with it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads