• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thoughts about pinstriped sport coats/blazers

kitonotik

Reaction score
In the past few years ive had various opportunities of purchasing "sport coats" in pinstriped patterns from great designers at very cheap prices. However, i always have had the notion that a pinstriped sport coat is actually the jacket to a suit and not an actual sport coat. Furthermore, I feel that it would look odd, if worn with say jeans, or a pair of solid colored pants.

Am I being a bit too over analytical in this thinking? Is it perfetrly acceptable to wear a black/navy/whatever color stripe/chalk stripe/pinstripe sportcoat with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt, or with a pair of solid colored slacks?

-J

vincerich

Reaction score
There's no such thing as a "pinstriped sport coat/blazer." It's an "orphaned" suit jacket being pawned off as "high fashion." Most people won't care enough about what you're wearing to notice, but a few people will probably have a nice giggle at your expense if you were to wear it in public.

Bentley

Reaction score
I agree. I've thought about picking one up too but decided not to for the same reason.

When I see guys wearing them, I have the same reaction: ie. it looks like an orphaned suit jacket.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rarely looks good. Sometimes can be passable with jeans, but definitely not with most other kinds of trouser, and even with jeans a plain or check would always be much better.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonotik
Am I being a bit too over analytical in this thinking? Is it perfetrly acceptable to wear a black/navy/whatever color stripe/chalk stripe/pinstripe sportcoat with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt, or with a pair of solid colored slacks?

-J

I'm not a fan and would never wear one.

kitonotik

Reaction score
Alas!!! Thank you for echoing my sentiments on this. There was a very nice Kiton blazer here on the B&S and was listed as a sport coat. But I just didnt want to pull the trigger on it because of my feeling toward single "pinstriped sport coats". If any were to pass for a real sport coat, I would have to say it's probably the cotton, cotton/linen blend pinstriped sport coats that RL usually puts out. Agreed?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on how wide the stripe is, and also the fabric. It needs to err on the side of cricket or boating stripe in order to be OK.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't know what you are talking about. There have been pinstriped sport coats and blazers for decades. The fabric can't look like a suit fabric and you have to know how to wear them.
Originally Posted by vincerich
There's no such thing as a "pinstriped sport coat/blazer." It's an "orphaned" suit jacket being pawned off as "high fashion." Most people won't care enough about what you're wearing to notice, but a few people will probably have a nice giggle at your expense if you were to wear it in public.

awxg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
You don't know what you are talking about. There have been pinstriped sport coats and blazers for decades. The fabric can't look like a suit fabric and you have to know how to wear them.

I may be mistaken but don't you have one with suede elbow patches? It was really nice.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1

Finally someone with some sense.

Come on, a pinstriped blazer with anything other than matching pants will simply lead to the assumption that you are mix and matching and the pantalones are at home.

otacon

Reaction score
I have a navy or midnight blue sports coat with faint reddish stripes on it. It was never part of a suit to my knowledge. I got it years ago for Christmas. It was made by American Eagle. It looks fine with chinos (any color but black or the darkest of dark blues,) or jeans. It's a rather heavy wool, though it's so worn by now and been cleaned or brushed so much (pets) it's probably lost some of its mass and weight, though it is still rather obvious that it is a sports jacket and not a suit jacket. If need be, I can take pictures. I can't guarantee that the stripes would show up, but they're noticeable to the eye.

Wideknot

Reaction score

I'm sure that you are absolutely right about this. However, whether there have been pinstriped sport coats for decades doesn't change the fact that they still communicate "orphaned suit coat." Your point about the fabric is well taken, but I can't recall ever having seen a pinstriped fabric that didn't scream "business suit." I would love to see one to broaden my horizons.

There may be another angle to this, however. Even if the jacket is part of a broken suit, is that necessarily a style faux pas? Your remark about "having to know how to wear it" is bang on. Does the jacket work with what your wearing? If so, who cares what its origins are?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wideknot
I can't recall ever having seen a pinstriped fabric that didn't scream "business suit." I would love to see one to broaden my horizons. ?
I have, and used to wear a black and white (a purplish white) pinstripe (well multiple chalk striped) jacket made of soft flannel-like wool with velvet details - trim above the pockets and at the cuffs. It may in retrospect not have been a good idea but despite businesslike colours it was definitely not a suit jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads