or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cars We Drive! - Page 491

post #7351 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post

He spends his time trying to get the mpg as high as possible (so it really irritates him when I drive it, because I spend my time trying to get the mph as high as possible).


I don't see why satisfied.gif
Edited by Find Finn - 10/22/12 at 10:46am
post #7352 of 14201
My car history:

1986 Volvo 740 wagon (loaner from the parents when I was 16)
1991 Honda Accord wagon (loaner from the parents when I was 17-18)
1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R (first car to be mine, bought with $10k from the parents and $5k of my own money after HS graduation)
1996 Ford Taurus (bought in 2001 for $3k, sold in 2004 for $1500 - wife's daily driver when we were young and poor)
2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4* (still have as my daily driver, was wife's daily driver for 3 years)
2006 Toyota Sequoia SR5 4x2 (lease)
2008 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4x4* (wife's current daily driver)

I love Toyota suv's as you can see, and we need 4x4's because we have a small ranch in West Texas which gives new meaning to the word "rough" - but my day of reuniting with a coupe and a manual transmission is coming. I spend lots of time watching Autotrader for 2005-2007 Porsche 911 coupes (997 model). As soon as the Sequoia is paid in July it's my turn again. Wife is trying to talk me into a new 4Runner instead.

Worth noting that we are on the 5 year plan with cars now, always keeping one payment since we buy one car every 5 years and keep them for at least 10 years. If you're willing to drive them for such a long period, it's very economical and easy to budget since you always have one payment. I'm not interested in paying cash for cars as long as I can borrow at 0-3%.
post #7353 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post

My dad had a Lexus RX 400h back when that first came out in the UK and then got rid of it about 2-3 years later. For a Lexus RX 430h. He loves it. He spends his time trying to get the mpg as high as possible (so it really irritates him when I drive it, because I spend my time trying to get the mph as high as possible). He commutes into London 3 days a week now, so drives around 2 hours a day three days a week. You didn't say what your father would be using it for, but I would expect that he will be very happy with it.

Thanks for the post. Essentially the same thing as your father. to elaborate slightly, the mother insists on hybrid/environmentalpositivity/reliability, he insists on space and comfort and used to (semi) luxury amenities. They also have a dog and therefore need space to put a wet golden retriever in the back. It will mainly be used by him to commute 10 km to and from work each day with occasional road trips/vacations. Lastly, they operate on the 'pay cash for car and keep it for a long time' principal so they are looking to have the thing for probably 6-10 years.
post #7354 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb View Post

Thanks for the post. Essentially the same thing as your father. to elaborate slightly, the mother insists on hybrid/environmentalpositivity/reliability, he insists on space and comfort and used to (semi) luxury amenities. They also have a dog and therefore need space to put a wet golden retriever in the back. It will mainly be used by him to commute 10 km to and from work each day with occasional road trips/vacations. Lastly, they operate on the 'pay cash for car and keep it for a long time' principal so they are looking to have the thing for probably 6-10 years.

I would say get him to take it for a test drive. My dad had the LS before the RX. He wanted to go the hybrid route but the LS hybrid is very expensive and the batteries take up a lot of space, so he went with the RX - mainly so he could fit four adults and golf clubs in the car. Like I said he's been very happy with it. He gets somewhere around 30-35 mpg, which is pretty good for a car that size.

His cars through the years (that I can remember) have been a Jag XJS, a Jag XJ12, a BMW 7 series, a Lexus LS400, a Lexus LS430, another LS430 and then the RX400h and the RX430h. I think he likes the Lexuses more than anything else he's driven. That's 30 odd years worth of cars there. Hope that helps. For what it's worth, I like driving the Lexus too. I was too young to ever have a go in any of his other cars though. The jags were pretty cool though. Acres of leather and wood and huge V12 engines.
post #7355 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post
 I was too young to ever have a go in any of his other cars though. The jags were pretty cool though. Acres of leather and wood and huge V12 engines.

 

I took my Jag on a 200 mile trek just today. Was great great fun.

 

post #7356 of 14201
My 80 series Landcruiser in the Utah desert:





post #7357 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty_Webb View Post

I would say get him to take it for a test drive. My dad had the LS before the RX. He wanted to go the hybrid route but the LS hybrid is very expensive and the batteries take up a lot of space, so he went with the RX - mainly so he could fit four adults and golf clubs in the car. Like I said he's been very happy with it. He gets somewhere around 30-35 mpg, which is pretty good for a car that size.
His cars through the years (that I can remember) have been a Jag XJS, a Jag XJ12, a BMW 7 series, a Lexus LS400, a Lexus LS430, another LS430 and then the RX400h and the RX430h. I think he likes the Lexuses more than anything else he's driven. That's 30 odd years worth of cars there. Hope that helps. For what it's worth, I like driving the Lexus too. I was too young to ever have a go in any of his other cars though. The jags were pretty cool though. Acres of leather and wood and huge V12 engines.

Thanks very much for your response Ty, Your dad's list of previous vehicles is a step above mine (he currently drives a saab viggen) so i imagine he won't have issues with the rx.
post #7358 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post

I took my Jag on a 200 mile trek just today. Was great great fun.


Ha, nice! I saw one of those on the street on Sunday morning and I thought wow, I haven't seen one of those in ages. Then I saw another one on Sunday afternoon. The world is weird sometimes. I wish I remembered it better, but my dad got rid of his when I was about 6 or so. Every now and again I'm tempted to have a look for one, but then I read some horror story about them. Oh well.
post #7359 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai View Post

My 80 series Landcruiser in the Utah desert:

The LC 80's are just so bulletproof. Awesome truck and glad to see that you're using her as God intended.
post #7360 of 14201
Doing some window shopping for a (used) car that my parents and I will split usage of; since I'm in NYC and would only need a car a time or two a month, tops. Likely my parents would use it on trips as well as it would be more comfortable and get better MPG than either of their current cars.

Needs to seat 4 tall adults comfortably for 3+ hour trips, automatic, AWD is highly desired, decent MPG (something over 20 combined at least) and under $20k. Looking at some previous gen (2005-2009) Audi A6 4.2 Quattro's as they're around $19k for ~60k miles and fit the bill. I'd sacrifice some MPG for the reasonably powerful 350hp v8 smile.gif

Also looking at M35x, 530xi, and CTS AWD.

Any other suggestions?
post #7361 of 14201
Used Subaru.
post #7362 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannerhan View Post

The LC 80's are just so bulletproof. Awesome truck and glad to see that you're using her as God intended.


Here it is with all the camping stuff deployed:

post #7363 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Used Subaru.

frown.gif

The interior of every Subaru I've been in has been pretty shoddy. Also, I felt somewhat cramped in even the previous gen Legacy (I'm 6'2 and the shortest out of my brothers, who may be riding in the car with me).
post #7364 of 14201
why don't you just look for something like a lightly used Camry or other mid-sized entry sedan? granted, it won't have AWD, but it'll fit the bill and all you walking cactus' will fit inside just fine.
post #7365 of 14201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piobaire View Post

Used Subaru.

We have a couple of Subarus.

My wife drives an STI with 110k miles on it. I have an old Loyale wagon with 250k miles on it. Amazingly durable cars. Other than a hole in the radiator on the STI and a broken timing belt on the Loyale, we haven't had to take either car in for repairs ever. Both are still going strong.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Styleforum › Forums › Culture › Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto › Cars We Drive!