• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experience with Loake Chester or any Loake 1880

Andrew Wyke

Reaction score
Can anyone share their experience with Loake Chester (I am also interested in experience with Loake 1880 line calf leather shoes).

As far as I can see, Loake Chester is a heavy, durable country shoe for a very attractive price.
Loake website states that these shoes are made from premium grade calf leather - I suppose it means that they're not corrected grain.
Loake website also states that 1880 shoes are made in England (not exported from India like other lower line Loakes).

So if anyone could share their experience with Chester or any other 1880 it would certainly help me a lot.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrew Wyke
Can anyone share their experience with Loake Chester (I am also interested in experience with Loake 1880 line calf leather shoes).

As far as I can see, Loake Chester is a heavy, durable country shoe for a very attractive price.
Loake website states that these shoes are made from premium grade calf leather - I suppose it means that they're not corrected grain.
Loake website also states that 1880 shoes are made in England (not exported from India like other lower line Loakes).

So if anyone could share their experience with Chester or any other 1880 it would certainly help me a lot.

I've got three Loake 1880 pairs, but not the Chester.

Leather on the 1880's is calf - it's maybe a bit stiffer than the best on offer, but pretty decent and after plenty of leather conditioner isn't bad at all. Visible construction quality isn't bad for the price - finishing is decent without being flawless.

They're a good value shoe - not quite up there with Alfred Sargent's Premier or Grenson Rose, but then they're much dearer.

Racing Green

Reaction score
I have the Loake Chester. Made in England, calf leather. Not the most high end shoe but I'm no big timer and I love them. Like all the 1880 stuff they're great value too.

asdf

Reaction score
Is there any place that Loake can be kopped for cheaper than pediwear or their factory store, etc? any secrets?

mjc

Reaction score
I've received fantastic service from Richard at The Shoe Healer when ordering Loake and Alfred Sargent shoes. I suspect they'd be willing to match competitor's prices, or throw in a shoe tree, if you see something better... - Mike

nemroth

Reaction score
I have a pair of Loake 1880. After two months, I´m happy with them so far. A bit stiffer than expected I must admit, but after some breaking in I find them quite comfy. Good value for money IMO.

Cityman45

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andrew Wyke

I recently bought a pair of Loake Buckingham in the 1880 range from Pediwear and I'm extremely pleased with my purchase. They're in burnished tan calf leather, on the capital last (an F fitting) & they're a pleasure to wear, they broke in very easily with no discomfort at all.
The stitching & construction are both very good & the sole is quite flexible & easy underfoot, the leather is good quality too,the colour is very much as you see in the photographs, but with careful use of the three shades of tan polish available, you can further enhance the beauty of the shoe.
As for sizing, I vary between a UK 6 - 7 with an EEEE fitting, depending on shoe type & manufacturer, I was advised that a UK 6.5 would be suitable as the capital last has a slightly longer toebox & the F fitting would be a snug fit.
I'll certainly be buying more Loakes as time & finances permit.
Incidently, the British actor, Bill Nighy, favours the Chester & is seen as one of the UK's best dressed men.
I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am interested to buy the Chester,

I wear Size Uk 8.5 F of Clarks Desert Boot, Uk 8.5 of Sanders/Mcnairy Dirty Bucks,
UK 8G of Church's Grafton.

What size do you recommend me?

I know that 024 is a generous last, Uk 8 should be OK?

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads