• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first OTR suit, please critique.

krav

Reaction score
*edit: thank you for all your criticisms, I'd appreciate it if you can not only tell me what's wrong with it, but also how to fix it, or if it's fixable at all. Thanks. edit2: added a pic from the side and a few with my gym shirt worn underneath.
36897094.jpg
97607112.jpg
13864188.jpg
21299363.jpg
18202330.jpg
73905487.jpg
16863095.jpg
61971638.jpg
87808515.jpg
27778239.jpg
86869204.jpg
20088266.jpg
27778239.jpg

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first step is to find a shirt that fits you -- this one looks at least two sizes too big. The collar does not fit, sleeves have too much material causing your suit sleeve wrinkles and the cuffs barely fit in the suit cuffs. Either get a MTM shirt, or have a better fitting OTR shirt tailored.

Then take new photos to critique.

Twotone

krav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
The first step is to find a shirt that fits you -- this one looks at least two sizes too big. The collar does not fit, sleeves have too much material causing your suit sleeve wrinkles and the cuffs barely fit in the suit cuffs. Either get a MTM shirt, or have a better fitting OTR shirt tailored.

Then take new photos to critique.

Twotone

thanks for your reply, can you explain to me how the collar doesn't fit? the top collar button is not done up properly in those photos, only half of the button is in the button hole, if I had it done up properly I feel like I'm being choke so I can't imagine a collar that's any more "fitting". Also how are the cuffs too big? does it have anything to do with me wearing a watch? So mainly the problem is with the shirt is that correct? Is there anything wrong with the suit itself other than the wrinkly sleeves caused by the shirt?

Grenadier

Reaction score
It's still too big, you won't choke. You need to go to a tailor and have him take in the back; it just hangs awfully. The sleeves should be taken in as well.

Also, lose the french cuffs. They're flashy.

jobro

Reaction score
Your tie is too loose. Find a collar that fits and doesn't choke.

krav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
It's still too big, you won't choke. You need to go to a tailor and have him take in the back; it just hangs awfully. The sleeves should be taken in as well.
How much slimmer does the collar need to be for it to be considered fitted? Does anyone have a pictorial example of a perfectly fitted collar? which part of the back that needs to be taken in specifically? Also how much should the sleeves be taken in?
Originally Posted by jobro
Your tie is too loose.
actually I was gonna go the loose tie unbuttoned collar route, but I've been lurking SF long enough to know that it's akin to sticking ********* into a hornet's nest around here. So I settled for this look instead.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleevs of the jacket are a bit ruffled but otehr then that it seems to fit fine.

eztantz

Reaction score
sleeves need help + looks like it should be taken in a bit it hangs in the back under the arms.

overdog

Reaction score
The jacket sleeves look funny because your shirt cuffs are too big and they are constricting and immobilizing the end of the sleeve, causing the rest of the sleeves to wrinkle. So either your cuffs need to be smaller or the bottom of your sleeves need to be wider. Also, I suspect your jacket sleeves may be too long as well.

As to the rest of the suit, shoulders look too wide and the chest is too big. The suit looks somewhat boxy, despite the sides already having been taken in.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is the best fit that I have seen today on StyleForvm.

This pose, moreover, is Manton-evocative:

73905487.jpg

- B

gators241987

Reaction score
its too big. the arms are too long. the back needs some cleaning up. need to measure yourself and find a suit that corresponds to that measurement. I too was in the same boat, thought all 42R would fit me, they all measure differently. need to measure your chest, shoulders, arms. then find a suit that best fits those numbers.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OTR? Please explain.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads