• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polish shoes before wearing?

detroiter

Reaction score
I bought some new allen edmonds (my first pair) and also bought some of the premium shoe polish from the store, should i polish them before wearing them? I thought i had heard that you should do that somewhere before?

Siggy

Reaction score
I'm sure if you search this topic you would find plenty of advice. I prefer to polish new shoes before wearing because then the inevitable scuffs can later be buffed out, since the wax provides a thin layer of protection.

Reaction score
I would definitely reccomend polishing any new shoes before wearing them. most shoes that are purchased 'off the shelf' do not have any protection on the leather after being finished at the factory. Some retailers do polish as a service to their customers, with myself, all shoes are polished by hand before being shipped to my customers or before being picked up. Black is black and therefroe that's the colour you use, for various browns try using the nearest colour to the leather. For a high shine use a lint free cloth and use one or two fingers wrapped in the cloth, apply some polish to the cloth and work into the leather in a circular motion, dab the cloth very lightly into a little water and continue the circular motion of polishing and then do the same again and again until you start to see the shine coming through. By doing this you will create a good protective coating for your shoes aswell as making them look very nice indeed. I use Kiwi nearly all the time but have also had a cream made up that i use aswell. I hope that you find this of use.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder what shoes the polish wear, I must admit this is the reason I clicked, it is getting late here.

Saenek

Reaction score
I usually give them some conditioner and polish, it won't hurt and I'd like to think it helps.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
I don't get this; is this a polish joke?

As soon as my two friends and I finish changing the light bulb, I'll get back to you.

Benzito

Reaction score
^^^ Try not to break the bulb as you pull it out of his ass.
smile.gif

Macallan

Reaction score
The only time I have needed to polish new shoes, were display models; do not see the point of polishing shoes when not required. Although I do use a horsehair brush before wearing any new shoes.

Patek14

Reaction score
I typically condition and polish new shoes before their first wear. Is it necessary? probably not. It isnt going to do any harm so you at most waste time.

No reason not to

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads