• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy suit & white or blue shirt - What color tie?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to put together my suit ensemble and need to get a tie. One will do for now until I figure out what I really like. If the suit is navy & the shirt is either white or blue, what color and type of tie should I buy? This will be used for business interviews. I searched around the forum and it seems that grenadine ties from Sam Hober are really popular. Would navy be a good color? Can I just buy their standard tie "3-fold construction with a 57 inch length and 3 3/4 inch width?" I am 5'9" if it matters. Thanks.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy's fine. A subdued burgundy or dark brown would also work well.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd recommend a blue tie with white dots, though there's lots of colours that would go with a navy suit and white shirt.

As for which to order from Sam Hober, I believe all his ties are made to order so you might as well make sure you get one that is the perfect width and length for you. Obviously this depends how wide you are as well as how tall; personally a 3 3/4" wide tie would be way too wide for me, but that's coz I'm really skinny...

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a red tie with small white and light blue stripes. I find this works with both white and blue shirts in interviews, and have been complimented to this effect.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What width should I get if I am skinny, but don't want a "skinny tie?" I'm 5'9" 140 lbs, 31 waist, around a 36/37R suit.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
I also like burgundy with navy - a classic. As for width, I'd go in to a local store and hold a few ties up to your body, especially if you have the suit already and are wearing it. Then you can see what looks best.

EZ

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why go with a grenadine for interviews? Grenadine is NOT your blend in tie and thats what you want to do on an interview. Go with classic woven or printed silk in any color blues (navy included) or muted burgundies as mentioned above. Even muted reds would probably be fine.

David from SamHober.com has plenty of the typical weaves as well.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Why go with a grenadine for interviews? Grenadine is NOT your blend in tie and thats what you want to do on an interview. Go with classic woven or printed silk in any color blues (navy included) or muted burgundies as mentioned above. Even muted reds would probably be fine.

David from SamHober.com has plenty of the typical weaves as well.

Now I am kind of confused. On Sam Hober I see "English woven Silk Tie" and "Macclesfield printed silk tie" so I am guessing those are what you are talking about. What are the functional differences between a woven and printed tie? By that I mean, in what situations would I want a woven or printed or grenadine? I skimmed through the ties and the closest thing I found to a navy is this.

productdetailedimage178.jpg

Should I go for solids, dots, stripes, or patterns?

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
Now I am kind of confused. On Sam Hober I see "English woven Silk Tie" and "Macclesfield printed silk tie" so I am guessing those are what you are talking about. What are the functional differences between a woven and printed tie? By that I mean, in what situations would I want a woven or printed or grenadine? I skimmed through the ties and the closest thing I found to a navy is this.
productdetailedimage178.jpg
Should I go for solids, dots, stripes, or patterns?

The functional difference is that on a woven tie your patterns and designs will be less fine and detailed as they need to be woven into the silk. On a print they weave the silk and then imprint (silk screen) the design on, allowing for more detailed designs. The tie you posted is fine (and a classic one that should probably be a staple for any decent wardrobe)

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let Jonathan pick you a tie. Great taste and judgment and impeccable service.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Either shirt will work, white is the best and safest with a navy suit. You could do the lt blue just to shake things up a bit. if it is a pattern suit you want to pattern of the tie to follow that of the suit, if not it dosen't really matter. Reds and golds or yellows are your best colors for ties. You could still do a pink, lavender or even a med blue, that is completley up to you.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be a good tie length/width assuming I am 5'9" and wear a 36R jacket with 3 inch lapels (widest point)? 3 inches seems like a good width according to what I have read. I have not really worn a tie before so I don't have anything to base it on.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
What would be a good tie length/width assuming I am 5'9" and wear a 36R jacket with 3 inch lapels (widest point)? 3 inches seems like a good width according to what I have read. I have not really worn a tie before so I don't have anything to base it on.

I'd say 2 3/4 ot 3 1/4" wide with tose lapels, about 57" long.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads