• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What socks can be worn with a navy suit?

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
I want to spice up a navy suit for an upcoming party. Obviously I could go navy socks, but what else (article of clothing, accessory, etc) can I match my socks to?

I don't know if there are any rules here...

Thanks

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A navy suit is an excellent blank canvas. That's the beauty of it. Wear whatever color socks you feel like. To a more formal occasion, like a business interview or client meeting or what have you, I'd stick with a more conservative color. But to a party or an informal gathering, wear whatever color socks you want.

You'll get a lot of opinions here about "fun socks" and their pros and cons. But there are very few colors that absolutely will not go well with navy. Just don't wear white athletic socks or something.

As for matching, tread carefully. If you want to pick up the color of your socks in one of your accessories (tie, cufflinks, etc.), it's generally fine so long as you're not overdoing it. If you match too many items, you risk looking overly studied and/or cheesy.

NoNothingGuy

Reaction score
hahaha, I won't be wearing my gym socks, I promise.

I guess I mainly want to avoid any fashion faux pas like matching a pocket square to a tie, etc.

Thanks for the response.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, there's "matching" and then there's complementing. Don't wear a tie and pocket square of the exact same color. But you can wear a blue tie and a pocket square that has some blue in it, for instance. You can also wear complementary colors, like blue and red. It takes some experience and a decent eye for color to figure out which colors go well together. But you're right in that avoiding a direct match is usually a good idea.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy
I want to spice up a navy suit for an upcoming party. Obviously I could go navy socks, but what else (article of clothing, accessory, etc) can I match my socks to?

Thanks

Solid purple or red socks > navy socks for navy suits.

houndstooth or glenplaid patterned socks in blueish shades worked as well.

jkw

Reaction score
A nice rich red with a good sheen to it, or if you're feeling adventurous, stripes.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore argyle red wool socks, and it looked amazing with black shoes.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
I wore argyle red wool socks, and it looked amazing with black shoes.

I think red with dark brown shoes (like the ones in my sig
biggrin.gif
) could work.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I think red with dark brown shoes (like the ones in my sig
biggrin.gif
) could work.

I think navy suits work better with brown shoes for sure. I just had a law firm interview that day and needed to wear the navy suit, red striped tie, white shirt, and PAs. The socks were my nonconformist touch.
tongue.gif
Got the job though!

JelloLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoNothingGuy

Thanks

your only option.....
bigstar[1].gif

thom_browne.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads