or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pictures of nice gloves...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pictures of nice gloves...? - Page 28

post #406 of 489


post #407 of 489
I have enjoyed the pictures posted on this thread. I don't have any pics to add, but I have a question: Do gloves made of peccary skin provide more warmth than gloves made of deerskin or lambskin, for example?
post #408 of 489

.


Edited by Hampton - 1/28/13 at 8:53am
post #409 of 489

 

post #410 of 489

I thrifted these a couple of weeks ago, and I thought they were these:

http://hestragloves.com/no/gloves/classics/peccary-classic-wool-1/

 

but are these some other kind of leather? the tag says pignappa, but I don't know what that means..

the gloves seemed to be completely unused

 

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

 

 

 

post #411 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaloe View Post

I thrifted these a couple of weeks ago, and I thought they were these:
http://hestragloves.com/no/gloves/classics/peccary-classic-wool-1/

but are these some other kind of leather? the tag says pignappa, but I don't know what that means..
the gloves seemed to be completely unused



Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)







If you don't know, start with google lurker[1].gif
post #412 of 489
I have some questions, as i am in the market for a pair of gloves to wear in cold weather.

I see that most seem to favor peccary, is there a reason to buy peccary over calf leather?

Also, it looks like cashmere/wool lined will be best for cold weather, any reason to go for silk lining?

Thanks for the help gents.
post #413 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I have some questions, as i am in the market for a pair of gloves to wear in cold weather.

I see that most seem to favor peccary, is there a reason to buy peccary over calf leather?

Also, it looks like cashmere/wool lined will be best for cold weather, any reason to go for silk lining?

Thanks for the help gents.

I have a pair of calf Dent's (cashmere lined) that I picked up at the start of the winter, and I'll be buying peccary from them before next winter because:

 

-Peccary, due to being an expensive material, tends to be associated with better construction. Calf will often be machine made (as mine were, and I've been lusting after a chunkier, outseam-sewn peccary pair for months).

-Peccary can age beautifully. I can't speak for all calf gloves, but mine have just started "fading" rather than developing a patina as seen here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/142905/pictures-of-nice-gloves/200_100#post_3645474

-Some folks say they love the feel of unlined peccary. Obviously I can't comment on this, but it's definitely a factor that pops up in discussion.

 

As for the cold weather: My cashmere-lined pair stopped being perfectly comfortable around freezing point, but they were great most of the time. I'll be picking up a fur-lined pair for the especially cold days this winter.

post #414 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiSpiegel View Post

I have some questions, as i am in the market for a pair of gloves to wear in cold weather.

I see that most seem to favor peccary, is there a reason to buy peccary over calf leather?

Also, it looks like cashmere/wool lined will be best for cold weather, any reason to go for silk lining?

Thanks for the help gents.

I have a silk lined pair from madova, would not recomend silk for cold weather. Then on the other hand it depends on your definition of cold, here in Sweden when its -10 degrees celcius they are worthless :P Down to 0 degrees they are ok though!
post #415 of 489

I haven't seen this thread in a while, so here are the two pairs I just picked up from the Dents sale. Unlined peccary, and cashmere lined peccary with a buttoned wrist, both in cork. This is the first time I've felt peccary, and I must say I wasn't expecting it to feel so creamy and smooth, while still seeming quite tough. I'm as happy with them as anyone could be when receiving gloves during 85*F weather, and am excited to wear them in a few months.

 

One more thing: How would you guys describe the smell of peccary? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds me of something like an extra-bitter pine scent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #416 of 489
Those are some really nice gloves.

I love peccary.
post #417 of 489
post #418 of 489

Some Merola gloves that I saw at Pitti.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #419 of 489
quite nice. soon to be in your Brick and Mortar store?
post #420 of 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm View Post

quite nice. soon to be in your Brick and Mortar store?

 

A small selection, yes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Pictures of nice gloves...?