• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road trip to Boston, Philadelphia, and Washington DC. Recommendations?

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
I've done a fair amount of research so far and have an extensive list of things to check out, but I'm open to other suggestions as well. Feel free to make recommendations, and even to help me par down the list. Points of interest: dining, drinking, shopping, art, sight seeing (typical tourist attractions), and lodging. I'm budgeting for one really amazing dinner in each city, and also interested in checking out the staples that make each city special. I'll be spending two days in Boston, two in Philly, and one in DC, so help me figure out my schedule and narrow it down to the best of the best. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, etc. Additionally, any advice on public transit and tips on places to park would be great. Boston Day 1 breakfast: Sam Adams brewery tour lunch: Union Oyster House touristy stuff: Gardner Museum, misc. sights dinner: Mistral, Chez Henri, or The Elephant Walk drinks: Cigar Masters, The Oak Room, Bukowski's Tavern, or Anam Cara Day 2 breakfast: lunch: touristy stuff: MFA Boston, check out Cambridge dinner: Cambridge 1 or Mr. Barley's drinks: Cigar Masters, The Oak Room, Bukowski's Tavern, or Anam Cara Also received recommendations for: Grill 23, B&G Oysters, Harvest, Good Life, and The Estate I don't have any bookmarks for shopping or breakfast in Boston, so I could definitely use some recommendations there. Philadelphia Day 1 lunch: Gino's AND Pat's touristy stuff: sights, Mutter Museum dinner: Morimoto drinks: Monk's Cafe, Eulogy, The Franklin Mortgage & Investment Co hotel: Rodeway Inn, cheap, and seems within close proximity of everything Day 2 - no idea, completely open to suggestions breakfast: lunch: dinner: drinks: I've heard good things about Tria, Nodding Head Brewery, Bridget Foy's, Tamarind, Pietro's, Bridgid's, Standard Tap, and The Foodery (suggested if going to any BYOB places) Shopping: Rittenhouse Square Washington DC lunch: Ben's touristy stuff: all the obvious sights, Smithsonian, etc dinner: minibar (booked my reservation a month ago
smile.gif
) drinks: hotel: Hilton Washington, or Hotel Helix Need advice on shopping and drinking in DC. I'd like to check out Georgetown, for sure.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can do both touristy stuff and shopping in one day in DC. You should skip the latter, as DC doesn't have any must-see shopping destinations.

What kind of drinking establishments are you interested in? Dive bar, lounge, high-end custom cocktails? I have heard good things about Gibson, Wisdom, and PX. Good places close to Minibar include Sei and Zengo. The new W Hotel has a great rooftop.

You may want to stay at a more centrally located hotel such as the Grand Hyatt or Courtyard by Marriott.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Thai/Malay/Indo food, check out Rod Dee in Brookline (2 locations on Beacon St). They're hands down my favorite place to eat those foods in Boston, and I've had all of the big names. Brown Sugar Cafe in Allston (Mass Ave) is also a good place for dinner, if you like Thai food, that is.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Deep Ellum for drinks in Boston (it's on Cambridge in Allston) great cocktail menu and amazing beer selection. And if you want good oysters skip Union, it's like eating at the Hard Rock Cafe. Try B&G Oysters (550 Tremont St) or Neptune Oysters (63 Salem St in the North End).

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
As far as bars go, I like microbreweries, places with wide selections of rare beers on draft, and I love exceptional cocktails.

Not interested in ethnic restaurants on this trip. I can get stellar Indian, Thai, etc at home, I want to focus on what's special and unique about each city.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I don't think you can do both touristy stuff and shopping in one day in DC. You should skip the latter, as DC doesn't have any must-see shopping destinations.

Cool, shopping shall be axed in DC. I was leaning toward that any how.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yeah, nix shopping in DC.

For Philly, Alma de Cuba is a restaurant right near Rittenhouse square, I've had some great meals there and I would certainly return. Your list for day 1 looks excellent.

Here is where I go for breakfast when I'm in Philly:
Moring Glory - small diner with marvelous food, it's in the southern part of town, really nice neighborhood. All locals.
Reading Terminal Market - a plethora of great food

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.deepellum-boston.com/
http://www.redbones.com/ Davis Square - close if you go to Elephant Walk in Cambridge
http://www.easternstandardboston.com/ beer menu here
http://www.easternstandardboston.com...uCocktail.html cocktail menu
http://www.easternstandardboston.com...SmenuBeer.html
http://www.jacobwirth.com/pages/beer.html
http://www.restaurant.com/microsite.asp?rid=301231
http://www.cambridgecommonrestaurant.com/main.html

Other beer places in Boston try:
The Other Side Cafe - corner of Newbury and Mass Ave (Back Bay) more fixed gear than typical Newbury crowd.

I think a great night of drinking and smoking a cigar would be to have a couple of beers at Jacob Wirth's, go to Bukowski's for another round, head to Cigar Master's, and then head to Eastern Standard for a nightcap. THis would take you in a line from Downtown Crossing/Theatre District, through Back Bay then to Fenway. THe best part is it is all walkable.

I have seen some of your posts in teh bourbon section. Since you like bourbon, oyters, and beer I don't think you can go wrong with the Eastern Standard. It is close to Fenway so beware of potential crowds, though you don't get the same crowd as some of the other Fenway bars.

Tcameron

Reaction score
Boston:

Breakfast - The Paramount in Beacon Hill or Beacon Hill hotel in Bistro for brunch. Both are on Charles Street. I don't know who would have told you The Estate was any good but last I knew it was a club hangout for flashy Ed Hardly wearding douches.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
As far as bars go, I like microbreweries, places with wide selections of rare beers on draft, and I love exceptional cocktails.

Not interested in ethnic restaurants on this trip. I can get stellar Indian, Thai, etc at home, I want to focus on what's special and unique about each city.

I believe in DC, you would want to try The Brickskeller or RFD then.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
I believe in DC, you would want to try The Brickskeller or RFD then.
My favorite beer (and pizza) place in DC is Pizzeria Paradiso (Georgetown location). They have a ridiculous number of good beers on tap and in bottles. Their beer menu is available online. Most of the beers I would ever want to drink are on that list. And don't get me talking about their pizzas.
inlove.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a suggested itinerary:

Grab a pre-dinner cocktail at Sei (recommended drink: Liquid Wasabi) or Zengo (recommended drink: Mojito Cuzco). Walk to dinner at Minibar. After dinner, walk to District Chophouse (microbrews on tap) or RFD (great selection of bottles and drafts) for a few rounds. Hop on the metrorail at Gallery Place and take the Green/Yellow line to U Street for a nightcap at Gibson. If you've still got energy at this point, head next door to Marvin to lounge and people watch.

The quintessential DC nightspot is probably the Eighteenth Street Lounge, but it's a bit out of the way in relation to Minibar. Marvin is a good substitute, as it's owned by the owner of ESL and has a similar feel.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
My favorite beer (and pizza) place in DC is Pizzeria Paradiso (Georgetown location). They have a ridiculous number of good beers on tap and in bottles. Their beer menu is available online. Most of the beers I would ever want to drink are on that list.

And don't get me talking about their pizzas.
inlove.gif

+1!! Excellent pizza, one of the places I miss from my time living in DC.

Also, the guy who own Paradiso has a high-end restaurant, Obelisk (right next to the Dupont Circle Paradiso location). Incredible food and a great value compared to the big wigs in NYC. Highly recommended.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
For Boston: I don't think there is anything special about The Other Side. Nothing that spectacular about the menu and the food is good i guess. Sunset Grille has a huge beer selection but might be a bit out of the way for you (allston/brighton). Bukowskis has locations in back bay and in cambridge so depending on where you are you can go there for a great beer selection and better than average bar food. North End (little italy area) might be worth it if you want solid italian or pastries. The freedom trail is kinda cool if you're with some friends and the weather is nice Bleacher Bar is really cool if a baseball game is going on as the bar/restaurant is basically inside the green monster http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/47IRT...L25Zk1pMJmwtfA . A nice piece of boston to be pretty much inside fenway park like that. Breakfast in boston consider Mike's city diner and Charlie's Sandwich Shop (both in south end area). They're 2 of the more recommended places and are both great breakfast options Shopping in Boston. I don't know what clothes you're into but here are the good stores Alan Bilzerian, Stel's, Barneys coop, Louis Boston, Drinkwater's Hope all of that helps

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Here's a suggested itinerary:

Grab a pre-dinner cocktail at Sei (recommended drink: Liquid Wasabi) or Zengo (recommended drink: Mojito Cuzco). Walk to dinner at Minibar. After dinner, walk to District Chophouse (microbrews on tap) or RFD (great selection of bottles and drafts) for a few rounds. Hop on the metrorail at Gallery Place and take the Green/Yellow line to U Street for a nightcap at Gibson. If you've still got energy at this point, head next door to Marvin to lounge and people watch.

The quintessential DC nightspot is probably the Eighteenth Street Lounge, but it's a bit out of the way in relation to Minibar. Marvin is a good substitute, as it's owned by the owner of ESL and has a similar feel.

Marvin is in U street and Eighteen Street Lounge is in Dupont. I'd say they are equally far away (10 minute cab or metro).

Marvin is great, but like ESL the patio (the only good reason to go if only drinking and people watching) gets oppressively crowded. Gibson may be best for laidback experience (if it's the early evening and not a weekend getting seated shouldn't be a problem). As you say you are a beer fan I would suggest Brasserie Beck over RFD or Briskeller. Excellent (and extensive) Belgian beer selection, great fries (DO NOT ORDER THE OYSTERS!).

Also, I hear the bar/lounge on the top floor of the W hotel on Pennsylvania avenue is sick. Great cocktails and view is what they say. It's certainly on my go to list, but be prepared to drop minimum $15 for anything.

PS- You may want to schedule your trip around the next Styleforum-DC Meetup (shh, I hear it'll be in mid to late september)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads