• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where do you guys get your fashion news?

nicepants

Reaction score
Beyond looking at the guy next to you at work or the club where do most of you get your fashion news and/or ideas? Specific magazines? Catalogs? Websites? television shows? I'm trying hard to dress well but I want so more ideas and it gets old looking at the same magazines for 4 weeks waiting for the new ones to come out.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmm....well, what kind of clothes are we talking about, here? corporate casual, suits and sportcoats, or just clothes for tooling around?

i would say you might check to see if Axis has a website; at one of my favorite small clothing stores, they have free booklets from this manufacturer which have a lot of good casual ideas. i would recommend that, instead of following the often silly trends and crap in GQ and Esquire (altho once in a while they stumble upon casual clothes people might actually wear), you might check into the Esquire Top 100 list of mens stores, and find one near you. they will be able to tell and show you sensible clothing for whatever your needs, and will probably have some brochures, etc. from some of the better manufacturers, chock full of good ideas.

what city are you in/ near?

nicepants

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Dallas but I travel to L.A. and Atlanta often so I can check into stores in those cities as well. I'm looking at all types of clothes right now.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might start by reading both classic style guides, such as those of Alan Flusser (who espouses a classic style), and books on fashion history and fashion design. Contrary to what The_Foxx says, many of the designers featured in editorials in GQ and its ilk are very talented; and acquiring knowledge about their work is the first step towards appreciating their aesthetic.

Whether your tastes eventually run to Savile Row or to the Antwerp Six, you will be the better for having an understanding of the craftsmanship of classic tailors and the artistry of designers.

Deipnosophist

Reaction score
It now looks like I've bumped this topic from 2002 for no reason whatsoever. I should say that a spam-bot-ad-thingy came on and bumped this topic, and I responded without realising how old the topic was. The spammer's post has been deleted, so now I'm seemingly the one who bumped it

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out why I would want to know about fashion news......

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicepants
Thanks for the advice. I'm in Dallas but I travel to L.A. and Atlanta often so I can check into stores in those cities as well. I'm looking at all types of clothes right now.

Next time you are in Atlanta, go see what the men at Guffey's have to say.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, this thread is from 6 years ago! Talk about back from the dead.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I am trying to figure out why I would want to know about fashion news......

As was I. Probably one of the things I am least interested in.

Cheers, Jim.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Deipnosophist
It now looks like I've bumped this topic from 2002 for no reason whatsoever. I should say that a spam-bot-ad-thingy came on and bumped this topic, and I responded without realising how old the topic was. The spammer's post has been deleted, so now I'm seemingly the one who bumped it
haha - ya, I spaminated that guy, making you look like the guilty party. My apologies. Anyhow, six year old topic, and not a bad one...the answer for me is pretty simple...right here. But then, I'm not as into-it as most.

Tcameron

Reaction score
I look at what's new at my local vintage shop - because it often ends up in the hands of Ralph Lauren. (The company, not the man. - Although sometimes Ralph stops by supposedly.)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rue du Faubourg Saint-HonorÃ
00a9.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads