or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › so I'm moving to Sydney... where to shop??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

so I'm moving to Sydney... where to shop?? - Page 2

post #16 of 30
Medtech_expat,

Congratulations on your promotion.

Sydney is indeed the land of khakis, shorts and flipflops - but not in your new postion. You will be expected to wear a suit. I have reasonable exposure to people in similar roles to yours, in the pharmaceutical industry, and with no exceptions they wear suits (some are black ). Postpone overcoat purchases, but stock up on suits if you buy MTM or RTW. Shoes are more expensive, and are limited in range (and sizes) compared with Europe.

A small selection of shops:

Harrolds in Martin Place have Brioni MTM, Kiton, Artioli shoes.

Henry Bucks O'Connell St is the home to John Cutler Bespoke Tailor, Australia's best bespoke tailor. H Bucks also stocks Pantharella socks, Drake and Steffano Ricci ties, and Canali.

Varino, in Chatswood, has close-outs on Borelli, Zegna and Stefano Ricci ties for around USD70.

Rochefort make and sell ties. Clint from AAAC is based there, but I don't know much about his work.

As far as housing, I would strongly advise that you take an apartment in central Sydney, for 6 months or so until you get the lie of the land. You will be able to familiarize yourself with the city, and work out where you want to live. Baulkham hills is about 30 - 50 minute commute from the more desirable suburbs, but the CBD is a similar distance. Please PM me if you want more information.

Aus_MD
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by m@T
Gaha?

Not quite, I'm afraid. Less in television, more in the law.

I'm nearly as amused though as the time I was mistaken for a relative of Sir Anthony (the British PM, later the Viscount Eden).
post #18 of 30
I have a very nice shirt from Herringbone, which I acquired in NYC. Shirt is Australian made of good Italian cloth.
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Medtech_expat,

Congratulations on your promotion.

Sydney is indeed the land of khakis, shorts and flipflops - but not in your new postion. You will be expected to wear a suit. I have reasonable exposure to people in similar roles to yours, in the pharmaceutical industry, and with no exceptions they wear suits (some are black ). Postpone overcoat purchases, but stock up on suits if you buy MTM or RTW. Shoes are more expensive, and are limited in range (and sizes) compared with Europe.

A small selection of shops:

Harrolds in Martin Place have Brioni MTM, Kiton, Artioli shoes.

Henry Bucks O'Connell St is the home to John Cutler Bespoke Tailor, Australia's best bespoke tailor. H Bucks also stocks Pantharella socks, Drake and Steffano Ricci ties, and Canali.

Varino, in Chatswood, has close-outs on Borelli, Zegna and Stefano Ricci ties for around USD70.

Rochefort make and sell ties. Clint from AAAC is based there, but I don't know much about his work.

I traveled there last year for vacation from New York. I think that Syndey-siders tend to spend quite a bit more on having a home near the beach, traveling, and food than they do on clothing or other consumer items. Bottom line was that the shopping was fair, but nothing special. I'd compare the city to San Francisco in this way. You can find nice things, but for the most part the citizens do not prioritize shopping or clothing and, as a result, it's secondary. Fair enough, since the food, scenery, outdoor life is spectacular.

These are very good tips, by the way. I visited Harrolds and Rochefort, as well as another very good store in Double Bay. Harrolds is like a rather small Barneys. Good stuff, but nothing great. You can find what they have in North America at better prices. But for standby things -- say you need a new RTW suit -- I'd say it's probably the best spot in the CBD.

Rochefort is run by Shane Rochefort, who's a very nice young guy who likes his clothing. His place is hard to find and tiny, but worth it. Shane's stock in trade are beautiful, hand-made, individually designed and pricey ties, but he's also affiliated with good tailors. It was the only great unique thing I found in Sydney and worth stopping in to introduce your self. I really liked Rochefort.

Finally, there's a small and very expensive store in Double Bay that sells high end Italian sportswear (Avon Celli and the like). I cannot remember the name, but I think it might be in Time Out. More expensive than Ian or Lance, but about what you'd pay at expensive American spots. If you want a super cool $800 sweater, it's probably the best spot to find that. This neighborhood is trust fund country, so the store reflects that.

Final word, as long as you look decently professional you'll do fine. I wouldn't hesitate to send a well-dressed American there. Given that it's warm (they wear gloves and scarves at about 60 degrees), bring lots of summer clothes. They tend to have a lot of British influence, but not so much that it feels stuffy. This is t-shirt and jeans country - think Southern California.

What a great chance for you, by the way. Great part of the world to really explore for a year. By the way, eating is great in Sydney. Try Billy Kwong, Sean's Panaroma, Oh Calcutta, Longgrain and Rockfish. They take eating seriously there.
post #20 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua
Melbourne generally consist of Strip shopping (streets) and it is known as the Fashion Capital of Australia. I would say Sydney has a New York feel to it, whilst Melbourne is more European (cafe Society).

Thanks for anchoring to familiar references, Jas. I imagine that I'll be in Melbourne at least a few times per month and will definitely take the opportunity to explore!
post #21 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo

Finally, there's a small and very expensive store in Double Bay that sells high end Italian sportswear (Avon Celli and the like). I cannot remember the name, but I think it might be in Time Out. More expensive than Ian or Lance, but about what you'd pay at expensive American spots. If you want a super cool $800 sweater, it's probably the best spot to find that. This neighborhood is trust fund country, so the store reflects that.


I believe that you are referring to the Double Bay branch of Varino. Prices there are slightly more expensive than the Chatswood store about which I wrote above (Double Bay has the well deserved sobriquet "Double Pay").

Aus_MD
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
I believe that you are referring to the Double Bay branch of Varino. Prices there are slightly more expensive than the Chatswood store about which I wrote above (Double Bay has the well deserved sobriquet "Double Pay").

Makes sense. Thank you for clarifying.
post #23 of 30
Sydney is a great city. Always warm (but not uncomfortable). Winter is beautiful - definitely won't need woollens!

Shops to consider include:
  1. Skin Deep (great hats, shirts, antique cufflinks, etc from NYC c1950s era) on Elizabeth St.
  2. Shane Rochford on Elizabeth street for bespoke shirts and cufflinks
  3. Vince Maloney & Sons on Elizabeth St for Brioni, Pal Zileri, Zegna
  4. Zegna store on Macqaurie St
  5. Harrolds for kiton, Brioni etc (though in recent catalogue they seem to have taken on diffurion line D&G!!!)
  6. John Cutler/Henry Bucks
  7. Baubridge & Kay in Skygarden Centre
  8. Caviglia on Castlereagh St and Rocks (Leonard and Cavalli ties for eg)
  9. Xile Boutique in QVB and Martin place for Italian designer labels like versace, Armani, D&G, etc
  10. Casa Adama in leichardt (Italian village) http://www.casaadamo.com/
  11. De Ferrari Moda in Kings X (Brioni, etc)
  12. Declic on Oxford St (great selection of shirts and cufflinks eg Duchamp.)
  13. Herringbone
  14. David Jones dept store Market St for all the suit labels including Savile Row
  15. Antons in Skygarden for amazing vintage-type clothing and cufflinks.

Great restaurants: grab SMH Good Food Guide who are pretty accurate: world class restaurants include Claude's, tetsuyas, Longrain, Pier, Quay , Marque. Just let me know what you are after ....
post #24 of 30
Danny

I would be interested to hear whether you have had anything made at Casa Adamo, I have only had suits made (in Sydney) by John Cutler and Joe Cutrone, but am always on the lookout.

I would not recommend Baubridge and Kay shirts. In my experience (about a dozen shirts) the fabrics and construction are not of the standard to be expected for the price-point. They sometimes have interesting English enamel cufflinks.

Aus_MD
post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, and I'll follow-up with a number of you on PM. I'm still trying to get mentally-adjusted to the opportunity, since until Monday I was expecting to be moved to either London or Madrid. Not that I'm complaining...

From everyone's comments, it would appear that my current wardrobe should suit, though I may have to stock on warm weather gear. I'll supplement with items from the suggested shops. I have to admit that I've been spoiled by eBay these past few years, so I'll have to slowly readjust to paying retail prices. For shoes, I imagine I'll continue with Shyam and the EG sales.

My first priority will be to find a place on the beach! If I don't do it in Sydney, it'll probably never happen. I'll update on my search as it unfolds over the next several weeks.
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions, and I'll follow-up with a number of you on PM. I'm still trying to get mentally-adjusted to the opportunity, since until Monday I was expecting to be moved to either London or Madrid. Not that I'm complaining...

From everyone's comments, it would appear that my current wardrobe should suit, though I may have to stock on warm weather gear. I'll supplement with items from the suggested shops. I have to admit that I've been spoiled by eBay these past few years, so I'll have to slowly readjust to paying retail prices. For shoes, I imagine I'll continue with Shyam and the EG sales.

My first priority will be to find a place on the beach! If I don't do it in Sydney, it'll probably never happen. I'll update on my search as it unfolds over the next several weeks.


You may find these sites helpful:

Property rentals

Travel time estimation

Aus_MD
post #27 of 30
The northern beaches - Manly and further north are very desirable
locations.

Balmoral Beach is closer to Sydney proper and is also very desirable.

BTW, rents are quoted by the week in Australia.
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_MD
Danny

I would be interested to hear whether you have had anything made at Casa Adamo, I have only had suits made (in Sydney) by John Cutler and Joe Cutrone, but am always on the lookout.

I would not recommend Baubridge and Kay shirts. In my experience (about a dozen shirts) the fabrics and construction are not of the standard to be expected for the price-point. They sometimes have interesting English enamel cufflinks.

Aus_MD

Never had anything made at Casa Adamo - must say I NEVER buy clothes in Australia. As for B&K I find their quality no better or less than Herringbone.
post #29 of 30
Medtech, buy all the clothes you require before you get to Australia as prices here are typically 40-80% higher than overseas! That's one disadvantage of living in Australia.

If you like beachside living you have two proper options:
  1. The Eastern Suburbs - Bondi Beach all the way though Tamarama, Bronte, Coogee, Maroubra.

  2. The Northern Beaches - Balmoral, Mosman, Chinaman's Beach and Manly (30 minute drive across Harbour Bridge) up to Whale Beach and Palm Beach (90 minute drive from CBD) including suburbs Avalon, Bilgola, Newport, Bungan, Mona Vale, Warriewood, Narrabeen, Collaroy, Dee Why, Queenscliff.
The "wealthy" option is the real Eastern Suburbs millionaires row with massive $5m ++ mansions and private beaches like Point Piper (most expensive real estate in Australia, Sydneys most prestigious surburb), Watson's Bay, Vaucluse etc.
post #30 of 30
Bondi is a good spot for new arrivers. Lots to do, decent beach, close to town. Move out to Manly once youre settled and know your way around a bit
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › so I'm moving to Sydney... where to shop??