• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it OK to wear running shoes with jeans?

Essentio

Reaction score
Is it OK to wear running shoes with jeans?
newbalance992.jpg

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on your style. I think they look terrible unless you like the hip-hop style.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its fine for 99% of America. Most of us on this board fall into the other 1%.

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
Depends on your style. I think they look terrible unless you like the hip-hop style.
Thanks! Some of my friends say its an absolute no-no combination. Spaceship-looking multicolored running shoes are out of the question.

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emmanuel
The shoes you posted suck regardless...

Perhaps. They seem to be popular with some celebrities. Not that celebrities are to follow or copy
wink.gif

steve_jobs_2_2.jpg

Essentio

Reaction score
Some info from AskMen: http://www.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip/tip8.html

Running shoes with jeans are permitted when:

1- You want to be comfortable; slip on running shoes with your Levi's
2- You want a fresh relaxed look
3- You have good sneakers. Anything old or ripped should not be worn
4- Running shoes are clean (you do not want to look like a mechanic)
5- You put on a nice fitted sweater or shirt to go with your ensemble. The baggy look is for children
6- Your jeans are slightly fitted; it looks better
7- You have solid color running shoes; stay away from multi-colored spaceship looking ones
8- You wear dark colored jeans
9- The occasion is fitting (don't wear runners to a trendy nightspot)

factorial

Reaction score
I think it's fine until you're out of college and have a job, at which point you should probably start phasing them out in favor of nicer shoes. I'll still wear them with jeans an a T-shirt from time to time when I don't care or feel like looking presentable, but most of the time if I'm out of the house I want to look nicer.

Obviously they are NOT fine to wear with any pants other than jeans or perhaps corduroys. Sneakers combined with trousers ALWAYS look bad (yet are strangely common place to see on the streets in Chicago).

odrs

Reaction score
Eff no. Running shoes should only be worn for *gasp* running. Skater shoes can be worn with jeans... but only if you're early 20s.

I'm currently sporting a pair of jeans and tan flip flops with a white t-shirt... but I'm an old looking 25 and can sort of pull off the beach bum look.

Essentio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by factorial
I think it's fine until you're out of college and have a job, at which point you should probably start phasing them out in favor of nicer shoes.
Point taken, thanks! P.S. They can still be worn for running, right?
smile.gif

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
If you have nice ones then yes. But if not, it will look like your mom dressed you. By nice, I mean stuff like New Balence 1300s X Alife Rivington Club (or any other of ARCs collaborations should look nice.) You should only wear this if your goin for a streetwear look, though.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
Its fine for 99% of America. Most of us on this board fall into the other 1%.

+1 Well put. I know it's popular for the "comfy" look, but I can't stand it. The worst is when someone does it with brand new, bright white shoes. It just makes it stand out that much more...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Essentio
P.S. They can still be worn for running, right?
smile.gif

Depends; how old are you? If you're in your teens or older you really shouldn't wear running shoes for running anymore.

Get a pair of nice leather shoe from someone like Edward Green or Crockett & Jones. With a leather sole, natch.

And remember: Captoes for sprinting and full brogues for distance running.

Also: No brown in town.

JohnD356

Reaction score
I can't believe you people. Are you saying Jerry Seinfeld was wrong for all of the 1990s? Now my collection of tight black jeans and white tennis shoes are useless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads