• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pics of my MTM Sport Coat from Richard Bennett in Chicago

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just received my MTM sport coat from Richard Bennett in Chicago. I think they did a very nice job for MTM. The sport coat cost $900. The base price for their sport coats is $800 or so. The fabric I chose normally goes for $1300, but they had lots of extra bolts in stock so they gave me a nice deal on it.

Here are the pics. I think the fit is very good, especially for my very difficult body type (large chest, very large biceps, and large shoulders). (please forgive the bras hanging up, lol.) Two things to ignore: the shirt cuff lengths and the back flap hanging incorrectly (it was just caught in a weird position during the photo). As you can see, it is a 3/2 roll with a center back vent.

I think they did a great job with this MTM sport coat. I plan on stepping up to their full bespoke option in the future.

Arch Stanton

Reaction score
Looks like a pretty good fit. But i think emmanuel is right, there is a lil extra material in the back, i'm sure they could fix that!

meauounji

Reaction score
Does your vent open all the time like that or is it being held open accidentally? Open vents are a sign that the hip/waist area is too small.

I might be knit picky here (though you are at a place known for that sort of thing) but your left chest looks like it has more fabric that the right side, your left, right side on the pic.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Short back balance.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Short back balance.

Better than a short front balance!

Originally Posted by Biggskip
Sorry, but what does that mean?

Relative to the front of the jacket, the back is shorter. The side view makes this most obvious.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Relative to the front of the jacket, the back is shorter. The side view makes this most obvious.
That's actually not balance in the way tailors and Manton use the term. Hopefully he will chime in when I inevitably screw something up in the explanation but balance refers to fit - things that are objectively (as possible) right or wrong. Some tailors chose to cut the front longer than the back or vice versa. I think that's what you're referring to and that's neither right nor wrong - just what someone likes. Short back balance means that - in this case - there isn't enough room in the back of the coat coat (or there isn't enough cloth ) to properly cover your rear end so the vent kicks open and the coat looks like it's a little too sort in the back.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
That's actually not balance in the way tailors and Manton use the term. Hopefully he will chime in when I inevitably screw something up in the explanation but balance refers to fit - things that are objectively (as possible) right or wrong. Some tailors chose to cut the front longer than the back or vice versa. I think that's what you're referring to and that's neither right nor wrong - just what someone likes. Short back balance means that - in this case - there isn't enough room in the back of the coat coat (or there isn't enough cloth ) to properly cover your rear end so the vent kicks open and the coat looks like it's a little too sort in the back.
Cannot say that is accurate. Fronts should not be shorter than the back. That is pretty universal amongst tailors in any country.
I don't think this jacket has a short back. The back is a little sloppy up top but the fullness runs vertically not diagonally and that is acceptable if the client agrees. I think the OP likes easy fitting clothing.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
Cannot say that is accurate. Fronts should not be shorter than the back. That is pretty universal amongst tailors in any country.

I don't think this jacket has a short back. The back is a little sloppy up top but the fullness runs vertically not diagonally and that is acceptable if the client agrees. I think the OP likes easy fitting clothing.

That I did not know. I could have sworn I've seen it before but maybe I was imagining that.

At any rate, a coat can be shorter in he back than in the front without having short back balance.

Shouldn't the back vent at least come closer to closing?

Though I should let my forum geekiness detract from the fact that that is a very nice jacket which I think overall looks very good.

Aperipan

Reaction score
I think it looks really good. The extra fabric in the back, I suspect, only bothers the folks here and not the average folks on the streets.

What exactly must the tailor do to remove the extra fabric in the back? I have a jacket with similar issues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads