• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can you tell when someone is wearing a wig/hairpiece?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So growing up, and still if I'm watching TV with my parents, they are always mentioning/spotting when someone is wearing a wig.

And in this post, RJ makes a comment that reminded me of them
inlove.gif

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...4&postcount=23

And I can never see it. So how do you tell if someone is wearing fake hair?

Feel free to turn this into a horrible toupee threak.
mwink[1].gif

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
confused.gif
Have you ever seen the Seinfeld episode? I'm not sure about really top-notch rugs, but usually it's pretty obvious......

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
If it looks lifeless/odd/ unnatural or goes against the grain of the hair to the side then you know that something is up. Here's looking at you Tom Cruise. John Boehner appears to have this on his head:

blackpomp-reissue.jpg

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
schul450.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the hair doesn't feather at the hairline or the part is not definitive. Also if the sides are a slightly different color than the top.

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
Exhibit A: Failure to secure the right piece on time will result in the following tragedy-

tom_cruise.jpg

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize that Tom Cruise wore a piece. His is probably the best I've seen yet. John Travolta's looks pretty unconvincing and Ben Affleck's wall of hair = fail.

katie-holmes-tom-cruise-hotel-05.jpg

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fat-Elvis
Whoa wtf, Tom Cruise wears a rug?

I never would have guessed either. That's a better kept secret than his homosexuality.

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Cruise wears a piece. He has a generally youthful appearance and is lucky enough to have hair to match.

One way to tell is to look at the area at the temples where the hair grows forward in a point on each side. On a man with severe hair loss those areas have usually receded. If a man has what is apparently a thick and youthful hairline, but the hair at the sides goes up in a straight line from the sideburns, then it is likely (but not always) a wig he is wearing.

Another not entirely foolproof way of picking out a wig is if the man is very mature and yet his hair is very dense and strong and his hairline low. Most older (Caucasian) men have some sort of hairloss. Not many men keep the Ronald Reagan hairline into old age.

Mostly wigs can be identified simply because they don't quite look right. The human eye can pick out the unnatural.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had no idea Tom Cruise was sporting a rug
lookaround.gif
Definently looks like it in that pic though.

I remember reading about someone (old politician or robber baron or something, back in the day) that had a collection of toupees of different lengths, so it would appear that his hair was growing over time.

Hmm, my hair looks like Boehner's or George Will's. I better make sure to keep a definative part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads