• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The return of the heavy cloths

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few years ago ,anything above the 12/13 ounces mark and you would have passed for some old-fashioned eccentric but now ,we're living the charge of the heavy weight cloth brigade...''

After years of enduring the supremacy of the supers 180',200' and so on , the tailors are promoting more than ever the heavier cloths...
Is it just a fad , a return to basics ,to the good old times when a cloth was an armour or more in touch with today's more austere way of thinking....

At Norton, I was advised to pick a 14 oz woolen flannel for this winter...Is it heavy enough or the 15/16 ounces I was thinking of is just the result of groupthinking?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14 oz is a good winter weight for a woolen flannel in most places.

I've got a vintage piece that's heavier (I'd say about 500 g) and feels almost like a tweed of sorts (in a good way: rugged mottling etc.), but I can't imagine wearing it unless it's really quite cold. And that's probably why I haven't taken it to my tailor yet.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
At Norton, I was advised to pick a 14 oz woolen flannel for this winter...Is it heavy enough or the 15/16 ounces I was thinking of is just the result of groupthinking?

14 oz woolen flannel? I guess even Savile Row tailors have been infected by the SF Groupthink.

I have a pair of heavyweight (16oz?) woolen flannel trousers and I think they're great for winter. Winter here in Canada may be a little colder than where you are. But I still wear them in the Spring. Around 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) is my personal limit for winter-weight clothes.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was taken aback by Patrick Grant's reaction because he is a great Dandy and wears impeccable suits...
I told him that I wanted to go for the 475 grams or 16 ounces and he told me that London winters were too mild to accomodate such heavy weight cloth...
I like the idea to wear an armour and the woolen cloth was so heavy that I wanted to wrap my body with this delicious flannel..
It is in the Harrison book at the back....I like simplicity for my suit leaving more space to play with my shirts...It is the dark charcoal i'm going to as I have a very dark hair with an average skin tone...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How are PHOQUESTONE winters?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heavy worsteds wear cool- 16/17 oz worsteds are a "3 season" cloth around here. 14 oz flannels are fine for fall / winter indoors.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Folkestone is milder than London...I don't think there is a big difference between a 14 and a 16 ounces..
I have 3 months to make my mind up...

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14oz flannel is not heavy and I'm commissioning some 16oz worsteds

I live here in Los Angeles and wore this London Lounge Triple Overcheck 14oz flannel throughout our very mild winters and into spring. I have never overheated.

I also wore it around town in Athens, Greece back in early March where the weather dipped into the 35-50 degrees Fahrenheit range. It provided me with adequate protection outdoors and was a pleasure to wear indoors.

If anything my experience with 14oz emboldened me to try heavier cloths...stay tuned

Kudos to FNB for helping my find the skull lining

LLTripleOvercheck.jpg

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
22 to 26oz?????? This is heavy stuff

Edmorel...you need to stop hanging out with that renegade Sator

I dare you to find one forum member who has a 22oz suit (and has posted a picture)...not just trousers..

The London Lounge has a heavyweight suit cloth project and its ONLY 16.5OZ.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
14 oz woolen flannel? I guess even Savile Row tailors have been infected by the SF Groupthink.

I have a pair of heavyweight (16oz?) woolen flannel trousers and I think they're great for winter. Winter here in Canada may be a little colder than where you are. But I still wear them in the Spring. Around 20 degrees Celsius (68 Fahrenheit) is my personal limit for winter-weight clothes.

14oz flannel is fine for me. I have three suits of it. I don't think I would like 16 oz flannel, but I do have a 16oz worsted to make up.
On the other hand, I am also happy getting 8 or 9 oz cloth for the summer.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I concur with Dopey as to my hesitancy with 16oz flannel. I picked up 3 16oz worsteds in Athens and the LL Heavyweight Brown suit in 16.5oz is a tweed (which I thought tweed doesn't wear as warm as woolen flannel).

Anyone have a 16oz woolen flannel suit which they can post pics and comments on their experiences with it????

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will try the 16 ounces because i do think that they have a place in our wardrobes...
I do also wear Crombie overcoat and they are not the warmest in the world...
As I do want some flannel , I will start most likely with a 16 ouces especially with the different comments from 14 ounces wearers...

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I find that heavier suits bring me more peace of mind. I'm always afraid I will rip a hole through finer cloths by doing something stupid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads