or Connect
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why can't i have a black suit?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why can't i have a black suit? - Page 6

post #76 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau nash View Post
I'm not clear on how wearing a black suit makes you a leader. It looks more to me like following the crowd. Maybe everyone is being a leader in the same way as each other?

I am glad you clarified the thing about today being today. I had been wondering.

you dont get what he is saying?

he is saying a leader doesnt care what the stigmas are. he's not saying wearing a black suit makes you a leader.

these noobs i m telling you,
intentionally dumbing down an argument to make a point.
post #77 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho'nuff View Post
you dont get what he is saying?

he is saying a leader doesnt care what the stigmas are. he's not saying wearing a black suit makes you a leader.

these noobs i m telling you,
intentionally dumbing down an argument to make a point.

Exactly.

Oh and denimdestroyedmylife, stigmata is the plural form of stigma.

LOL.
post #78 of 84
Black suits are a bit 90s. Often they come in horrible cuts and cheap cloth, which just makes them even worse. Why not get a purple or "baby's-got-colic" mustard coloured shirt to go with it?

True, a very well made black suit can look fantastic if you can pull off the look (a la GQ), but even then it would be an extra suit, not your go-to suit (grey or navy are better choices). You need to be the tall, dark, handsome type I would think. Do you know anyone influential or stylish who wears a black business suit? I doubt it. Sometimes you make more of an impact by making less of an impact, so don't go for something as bold as black unless you are bolder than the suit.

PS - Years ago my (ex)wife insisted I get a black suit when re-kitting my wardrobe because it apparently looked smart. I avoided wearing it as much as possible. It looked cr_p. It's a very unflattering, inflexible and unforgiving colour for day-time wear. But that's probably because I am not the tall, dark, handsome type now that I think of it....
post #79 of 84
Wearing a black suit could make you look like a Reservoir Dog:

post #80 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
Run the restaurant or run the food, to tables. If you're wearing a black suit most people will ask you what the specials are.
Running the dining room is one of the most important parts to running a highly successful restaurant. The guests are the ones who supply my paycheck. If they asked me what the specials were, I would gladly tell them. And when business needs demand it, I also run the food to their tables. It's simply part of the business. I understand your point, but I'm merely supplying an example of when this forum's rigid group philosophies may be a bit shallow and judgmental. Style is about taking a set of sartorial guidelines and finding ways to be an individual by pushing the envelope a bit. Some people can do it better than others. Some people's businesses can allow for it more than others. I find it hard to believe that certain people with such closed minds can actually display much style in their own clothing on a regular basis. Also, that being said, I agree that a black suit is not the ideal the choice for a one-suit wardrobe. But by incorporating it as an option among a few other suits, I think it has its place. And besides ... who doesn't want to be a reservoir dog?
post #81 of 84
Oh I was just joking..... I really just play along with the anti-black-suit thing here, I find it comical how against it people are here.
post #82 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by naylor View Post
Also, that being said, I agree that a black suit is not the ideal the choice for a one-suit wardrobe. But by incorporating it as an option among a few other suits, I think it has its place.

Agreed, well said.
post #83 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcuknu View Post
Oh I was just joking.....

I really just play along with the anti-black-suit thing here, I find it comical how against it people are here.

It's all good
post #84 of 84
I'm for black suits with patterns and pinstripes, I have never owned a plain black suit. Charcoal has so much more depth to the "finish". A dark charcoal suit can be worn anywhere a black suit is worn IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Classic Menswear
Styleforum › Forums › Men's Style › Classic Menswear › Why can't i have a black suit?