• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J Crew quality

slmartin

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of J Crew Classic-fit broken-in chinos in eclipse blue and have worn them probably 4 - 5 times. I just washed them with cold water and Woolite for Colors detergent. Here's the result: 8 or 9 spots like this:
jcrew1.jpg
...and the inside of both front pockets looks like this:
jcrew2.jpg
I don't have the receipt anymore, but anyone think this was just a fluke or is it representative of J Crew quality? More importantly, make sure you keep your receipts if you shop at J Crew!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
fyi we also have 2 j crew discussion threads where the quality is brought up all the time

slmartin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Looks like there was some leftover bleach in the washing machine

that has nothing to do with JCREW

You may be right; however, there were very faint discolorations prior to the wash, which I discounted as dust, but showed more clearly, obviously, after the wash. Also, this was a color wash and no other clothes were affected.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Looks like there was some leftover bleach in the washing machine

that has nothing to do with JCREW

Yep.

Did you wash your whites before your colors?

Originally Posted by Teger
fyi we also have 2 j crew discussion threads where the quality is brought up all the time

Yeop.

slmartin

Reaction score
Ok, definitely sounds like bleach then. I'm actually using communal washer/dryers for the first time in my life after moving to a new apartment building, so I was unaware of the possibility of "leftover bleach" even being an issue. I guess I'll start hand washing everything that's over a certain price point.

...and I'll be more thorough in searching through existing threads in the future.

Thanks.

Johnathan

Reaction score
I've never had that happen to anything from J.Crew, but it has happened to other garments of mine (always blue). Maybe it's something else.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The JCrew quality question comes up all the time.

Like all mall brands, their markup is insane. That's how they can afford to have their psychotic end-of-season sales. So, if a pair of Khakis go for $60 retail, then JCrew probably pays about $6 to $10. That's fabric, sewing, shipping, landing, taxes, etc. So, ultimately, there's only SO much quality that you can get for that money.

That said, I think that it's a decent value for the money spent. Especially on sale.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Agreed. One should never buy JCrew at full price. Shirts and chinos for ~$20 works for me, but I also won't stress if quality issues arise. Had I paid full retail on the other hand...

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I use bleach (which is rarely), I run another empty quick cycle with just water to make sure all the bleach is washed out. That definitely looks like bleach stains to me.

jmn357

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
If I use bleach (which is rarely), I run another empty quick cycle with just water to make sure all the bleach is washed out. That definitely looks like bleach stains to me.

Do the same, the thing is though some people even get bleach stains after this, what you really need to be careful about is also any sort of spillage from the bleach near the door of the washer or on its surface. Even if it looks dry I've had minor bleach stains from that.

Also... I've always wondered... How come bleach stains always look the same no matter the color of the garment. I've noticed that it's always that awkward orange-brown color as in the photos. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

KBW

Reaction score
that is bleach...I buy all my jcrew pants between $10-18 and they all last. Cheapest way to get colorful pants that are pretty decent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics