• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Alden Thread for 2024 - Share Reviews, Sizing, Advice, and Photos.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
Brogue 5ZP

BE5E7A47-14EE-4730-9371-1228D0968DFE.jpeg

Ancestral Star

Reaction score
A couple of questions for our resident Alden experts...

Do you find your lined vs. unlined Aldens fit any differently?

And how have your unlined shoes held up over time? I'm interested in getting the snuff or tan PTB but am fearful that they will end up looking like this after a couple of years. View attachment 2181007

From my experience, yes, with enough wear they'll eventually look exactly like the image you posted, even when stored with shoe trees. They're unlined so they don't really have much structure. And lighter suedes always attract some level of schmutz. Fitted right, however, they wear real nice. Almost like socks. But beware of the single leather sole, it's not very hard-wearing. I find that I feel every every pebble I walk over.

tuna roll

Reaction score
From my experience, yes, with enough wear they'll eventually look exactly like the image you posted, even when stored with shoe trees. They're unlined so they don't really have much structure. And lighter suedes always attract some level of schmutz. Fitted right, however, they wear real nice. Almost like socks. But beware of the single leather sole, it's not very hard-wearing. I find that I feel every every pebble I walk over.
This echoes my experience with the unlined suede Chukka’s. Supremely comfortable, sock-like feel. But the flex soles feel too flimsy for urban use. You can feel everything under it.

Nothing a resole for something more robust couldn’t fix I guess? I wonder if someone tried this.

overtone

Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first pair or Alden shoes, a pair of unlined LHS. I wear an 8.5E in AE (Park Avenue). A store local to me carries Aldens but not in wide sizes. They can order them in for me but won't offer a refund if they don't fit. Should the 8.5E fit?

Thanks

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking to purchase my first pair or Alden shoes, a pair of unlined LHS. I wear an 8.5E in AE (Park Avenue). A store local to me carries Aldens but not in wide sizes. They can order them in for me but won't offer a refund if they don't fit. Should the 8.5E fit?

Thanks
If they have an 8.5D you may wanna give that a try, first. I'm assuming these loafers are on Van last, but sizing advice with loafers are extremely case-by-case as factors like instep, heel width, high arch or flat feet, can all affect sizing. Even I've found wearing loafers with or without socks can make a difference in fit.

If your local shoe store carries Alden, they will know how to properly size you. Have them put you on a Brannock and go with their advice. I would think 8.5D would be a good start since 8D is both narrower and shorter than your AE 65 last (however, 8.5E and 9D in 65 last have the same volume).

Best of luck and welcome to the Alden fam!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks
I would go to Alden DC or San Fran or Shoemart and get your sizing dialed in esp. for loafers. The Van last is a tricky fit. I take a different size in calf vs. shell, which is another factor to consider.

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go to Alden DC or San Fran or Shoemart and get your sizing dialed in esp. for loafers. The Van last is a tricky fit. I take a different size in calf vs. shell, which is another factor to consider.
Curious what size difference you have between shell and calf with Van loafers?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clothingg