• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly, maybe even these Trickers boot

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Sausage, Cured, and Smoked Meats

esoxm

Reaction score
How long does your brisket usually take?
Varies cook to cook but typically start them at 10p/midnight if I want to be comfortably done ahead of a normal 6/7p dinner time if guests are coming - that usually leaves me some buffer but not always if I’m going all the way at 225. So somewhere around 16-18 hours?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody got tips for getting good results on the brisket flat while smoking? The point is always amazing, but the flat is consistently underwhelming. The flavor is great but I never get the texture right.

Maybe the answer is "I don't like brisket flat" and should just separate them and do pastrami instead.
Like everyone else said trimming and not being shy about cutting anything thin but I also wrap and load it up with wagyu tallow (smear some on my paper when I lay it out and then throw a couple slabs on it before wrapping) and a really long rest. I’m not a huge fan of flat but I get the best results when I follow those steps.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Making chud's jerk ribs for gf and her dad easter brunch. Its been a bit of a struggle.

Instacart just didnt bother to get any chilis which worked out fine there's enough warming spice.

didn't have a container big enough for the full rack so i cut them in half.

To make the sauce i had a bottle of jerk sauce thats providing the heat. Didn't have enough left over marinade.

20240331_110736.jpg

The real challenge is that the last few times I've used the Akorn the temperature has spiked all of a sudden to so high my thermopen gives me an error code. I wondered if maybe it was a thermometer issue but nope.

Anyway i went again this am and had it at a consistent 350 for two hours with good smoke. I pull the ribs off to wrap (usually i dont wrap but im following his recipe). Literally in that time i come back out and see the coals are on fire. Like legitimate flames coming from the fire chamber. Thankfully all of it was perfect timing with the ribs etc and they are in the oven now. And now i can justify my new grill present for our house.

Had a sample and its delicious btw.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That looks like a heart attack waiting to happen lol.

Also making me uncomfortable how casually he handled that bacon and then touched other stuff without washing his hands. All them seasoning bottles and such are going to be all gross. :-(

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also making me uncomfortable how casually he handled that bacon and then touched other stuff without washing his hands. All them seasoning bottles and such are going to be all gross. :-(
Tell me you’re a soy boy cuck without telling me you’re a soy boy cuck.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First brisket yesterday in I don’t know how many years. Definitely first one on the pellet grill.

Got the 2-probe wireless Chef IQ thermometer from Costco (and a prime brisket). Tried a bear mountain pellet blend with the hope of more smoke than the Kirkland pellets I had.

Before wrapping:
IMG_3185.jpeg

Done:
IMG_3189.jpeg

Ran it overnight but when I woke up it had already busted through the stall… wrapped it in paper and dropped the temps to 200 to try and slow it down while I went back to bed. Pushed it back to 225 to finish after waking up for real but it still finished up way early so it became lunch. Tried to hold it a cooler, but I think I let it rest at ambient for too long and there was no way I was keeping it out of the danger zone until dinner.

Thought I got a nice smoke ring and bark, flavor is good, but I think I pulled it a little early for texture. Point was in a better spot than the flat.

Will have chopped point sandwiches tonight. Remaining flat got bagged and frozen—hoping a long sous vide reheat can improve their texture.

Also rendered like 4 full mason jars of tallow (which I will probably struggle to use more than 1/8 of…) and got a pound of ground brisket out of the flap I cut off.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, and I thought the chef IQ was kinda meh for bbq.

- the phone alerts didn’t have enough configuration. I want that **** to be able to wake me up with a legit alarm if air temps go crazy (like the grill flames out).
- no consideration for putting multiple probes in the same meat.
- the monitoring seems to cut off as soon as it hits target temp. This is dumb. I set it to 195, but you could still have a fair amount more cooking left to go if it isn’t tender yet. Also I’d like to see the temp graph continue as it rests, especially if you are holding it for hours.
- the probe supposedly has multiple sensors at different depths, but it seems like it only shows the minimum reading. Couldn’t get it to show me temps at each depth…and I think this also meant it was no longer giving core temps when the meat started to cool.
- ambient temps are too low given close proximity to meat. Still useful but could benefit from sticking out further or having a separate probe
- the probes seem to have solid battery life and fast charging, but the base was giving low battery after like 12 hours. Not a huge deal as you can plus it in while cooking, but it is a pretty large unit with no screen…they couldn’t put a 24 hour battery in it?

Seems more focused on being a helpful cooking assistant (app has a bunch recipe/extra crap) than just being a fancy multi-point wireless probe for cooking nerds.

So decent value at the Costco price if you just want limited info/simple setup, but I’m tempted to return it and look at one of the fancier options. Just feel a little bad returning something that will probably get junked.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, and I thought the chef IQ was kinda meh for bbq.

- the phone alerts didn’t have enough configuration. I want that **** to be able to wake me up with a legit alarm if air temps go crazy (like the grill flames out).
- no consideration for putting multiple probes in the same meat.
- the monitoring seems to cut off as soon as it hits target temp. This is dumb. I set it to 195, but you could still have a fair amount more cooking left to go if it isn’t tender yet. Also I’d like to see the temp graph continue as it rests, especially if you are holding it for hours.
- the probe supposedly has multiple sensors at different depths, but it seems like it only shows the minimum reading. Couldn’t get it to show me temps at each depth…and I think this also meant it was no longer giving core temps when the meat started to cool.
- ambient temps are too low given close proximity to meat. Still useful but could benefit from sticking out further or having a separate probe
- the probes seem to have solid battery life and fast charging, but the base was giving low battery after like 12 hours. Not a huge deal as you can plus it in while cooking, but it is a pretty large unit with no screen…they couldn’t put a 24 hour battery in it?

Seems more focused on being a helpful cooking assistant (app has a bunch recipe/extra crap) than just being a fancy multi-point wireless probe for cooking nerds.

So decent value at the Costco price if you just want limited info/simple setup, but I’m tempted to return it and look at one of the fancier options. Just feel a little bad returning something that will probably get junked.

I was going to ask what you thought of that. It looks like a discount version of the Combustion Inc one, which is supposed to be great but $200 for a temperature probe is a little rich for me

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to ask what you thought of that. It looks like a discount version of the Combustion Inc one, which is supposed to be great but $200 for a temperature probe is a little rich for me
Damn, $200 foot a single probe and it doesn’t do WiFi/internet so you are limited to radio range? I know they are trying to advertise that as a stability feature, but the chef IQ is both Bluetooth and WiFi which seems pretty robust. Just seemed nice for long cooks to be able to see your temp from anywhere.

I think thermopro has some nice ones that aren’t that much more (or are less in single probe mode), but they sure BT only as well. Thermoworks has a super nice WiFi unit but the probes are all wired.

For the price the Chef IQ still seems like a good unit, and it is probably perfect for shorter cooks, steaks, etc. But if you want to see all your nerdy data on long cooks, it falls flat.

Maybe someone will crack the api and release a third party app with all the temp detail?

Edit: oh, and one more complaint—it wouldn’t connect to my dual 2.4/5ghz WiFi. I had to set up a guest network on my router that was only 2.4ghz. That’s a good practice for IoT devices anyways (and my home thermostat seems to have the same problem), but it was a PITA to troubleshoot.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thought I got a nice smoke ring and bark, flavor is good, but I think I pulled it a little early for texture. Point was in a better spot than the flat.
Unless you need both (large group), I usually just split the two. Much easier smoke

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Having folks over and just put three racks of St. Louis cut ribs down to smoke. The marinade is al pastor. I don't usually try new things for company but this seems like a no brainer.

IMG_9439.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Four hours of smoke, now back into the reserved marinade, basted, covered with foil and two hours at 250 in the oven. Since one rib fell apart I needed to taste. Holy phuck.

If this becomes a thing remember ol' Piob came up with it.

IMG_9443.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member