• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you pay to fly yourself to a job interview?

Masshole

Reaction score
I personally would not put up the money for a flight to an interview. If they are interested in you, they should make arangements to meet you, not vice versa. You also said you went through an agency, if the agency is anything like recruiters/head hunters, they will do ANYTHING to get you to meet employers so much so that i feel like its a numbers game. Made the mistake of working with ann agency years ago and they we just giving me sh*t leads and trying to convince me that it was something i would like. Point being, if this agency just wants to get people into that office to say they set up interviews, who knows how serious this employer might be about hiring you, esp. considering they wont Accommodate travel costs.

By the way, where in the NE/city?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the reluctance to go to the interview is more due to your hesitation of the company itself. I wouldn't have a problem with flying out myself if I stood a good change of getting the job and I was sure I am a good fit for the job and the company. $350-400 is not big of a deal if you can land a permanent position but given that the position is temp with possibility to hire full time,etc, I'd probably pass.
Also,keep in mind that companies are looking for the best bang for their buck,they seem to think that it is seller's market right now and they can low ball the candidates and get away with it. I had an offer about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't where I want it to be,I gave them my number but after about a week or so,they informed me that they would like to interview some other candidates so I am not surprised that they don't want to fly you out.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
That's what it's come down to. I was told this morning that they looked into it and couldn't cover travel. I made the offer that if I accepted the position, I would be happy to have the cost of the flight come out of my first paycheck. They again replied that they were unable to cover travel under any circumstances.

If they're asking me to pay, it's only right that they should have a fairly high level of confidence that they'd like to hire me. If they have that confidence, then my offer is a very low risk proposition for them. There's no reason that I should be taking all the risk; my proposed compromise is more than reasonable.

If they agree to the video conference I'll proceed; at worst it's good practice. Otherwise I'll pass.

Good analysis and strategy. I've gotten two job offers in which the company acted like they were enamored, but when it was time to put their money where their mouth is, it was a clear sign to me that they weren't truly serious.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Masshole
By the way, where in the NE/city?
My avatar should give you a good hint
smile.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got word today that they're on board with conducting the interview over video conference. I'm told that they're still very interested in speaking with me. Not sure what to think at the moment, but no harm in doing the interview.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
Not sure what to think at the moment, but no harm in doing the interview.

Definitely a good sign. If the videocon goes well, they will likely fly you over for the final in-person round. Best of luck and keep us posted.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Definitely a good sign. If the videocon goes well, they will likely fly you over for the final in-person round. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Not so sure - initial word was that this was the final round, and I've received no indication that there's a change based on the fact that it'll be a video conference.

I had initially proposed this on Thursday, and didn't hear back until toward the end of the day today, which makes me wonder if maybe they interviewed the other candidate(s) in the meantime and things didn't go well.

Or maybe they just take a long time to respond.

Thanks for the well wishes. Rube, hadn't thought about the pants.
laugh.gif

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
How/Where will you do the video conference?

Probably just get a web cam and mic. Still waiting to hear about the setup.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As closure, I heard today that they interviewed someone locally and went with that person, and therefore canceled the video conference interview. Glad I hadn't gone out and bought the hardware that would have been necessary on my end.

I'm far from broken up over it, but I will say that it would be hard for me to have a lower opinion of a company. In the end I suspect I am much better off. I have no regrets with how I handled things.

Thanks to all who offered advice!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members