• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The MBA Thread

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What list are you using?  I was just looking at US News and UMD is #41 while AU is #100.

After reading about what you guys are going through, I have realized that I am lucky to be in the situation I am in.  I knew since high school that I wanted a MBA which allowed me to plan accordingly, but I never gave much thought to the program or school that I wanted and how that would effect me down the road.  I am currently attending a school ranked in the 80s and will be starting a consulting job with one of the Big 4 upon graduation this year.  I am happy to be graduating without any debt, I don't think all of my schooling combined cost $55,000.

Sorry financial times is 24 and 17 for businessweek

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rejected at CBS, looks like I'm going to NYU.

Still a great school, congrats anyway.

Better food around Stern IMO.

For whatever reason I feel like I always meet more Stern kids with interesting jobs than from CBS, excluding the occasional quant that is.

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still a great school, congrats anyway.

Better food around Stern IMO.

For whatever reason I feel like I always meet more Stern kids with interesting jobs than from CBS, excluding the occasional quant that is.

When you get so keyed into the MBA process people talk about b-school rankings as if they're this massive deal. I talked to this guy that worked pretty high up at JPMC and now at a company that sort of does services for private equity firms, and he basically told me that a CBS MBA is about the same as an NYU MBA in NYC. And that there are going to be certain firms that only hire HSW, or only from a certain school, but that's pretty rare and that I've got just as good of a chance with an NYU MBA as others in getting back into PE post-MBA. Made me feel a lot better about how this shook out!

P12OFIT

Reaction score
When you get so keyed into the MBA process people talk about b-school rankings as if they're this massive deal. I talked to this guy that worked pretty high up at JPMC and now at a company that sort of does services for private equity firms, and he basically told me that a CBS MBA is about the same as an NYU MBA in NYC. And that there are going to be certain firms that only hire HSW, or only from a certain school, but that's pretty rare and that I've got just as good of a chance with an NYU MBA as others in getting back into PE post-MBA. Made me feel a lot better about how this shook out!

There is a lot of truth to that in my opinion. Once you have that degree and your first job after obtaining it, your career path is more dependent on your actions than a piece of paper. Let's revisit this in 30 years or so...
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As a consultant, it tends to be managers or above that do the stuff you sound interesting in (client meetings, presentations, etc.). An MBA hire would come in at one level below manager. You can still probably do some internal presentations and meetings in a big consulting firm, but to me it sounds like it would be almost a lateral move from your current situation as consulting sounds almost the same as your current job (pay, travel, actual work). I don't think it would be worth getting an MBA for a consulting gig in your current situation.

But I do think you could probably land a consulting job without an MBA given your experience is quite similar and you probably have a lot of industry expertise.

Thanks for your comments.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long shot here...anyone have any ideas where big defense companies have an established recruiting pipeline?

newinny

Reaction score

Agreed, I graduated from the tier after HSW and, while at the time rankings 4 - 9 seemed really important, they don't matter at all. The alumni network is important and your geographic proximity to internships & target firms is important.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I know a lot of SFers are working in corporate gigs and probably aren't wanting to do an MBA to switch careers, what are everyone's views on MBAs for those trying to progress within their chosen field?

I have heard a number of people say that for continued progression within a firm/industry the best bet might just be a PT program at a strong regional school with low tuition.

Any thoughts? I am sure many SFers who are not planning on a career switch could benefit from the collective wisdom of some of you guys.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Since I know a lot of SFers are working in corporate gigs and probably aren't wanting to do an MBA to switch careers, what are everyone's views on MBAs for those trying to progress within their chosen field?

I have heard a number of people say that for continued progression within a firm/industry the best bet might just be a PT program at a strong regional school with low tuition.

Any thoughts? I am sure many SFers who are not planning on a career switch could benefit from the collective wisdom of some of you guys.

I work at a big 4 firm in the TS practice and an MBA would do me no good now at my point in my career to progress up in the firm.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I work at a big 4 firm in the TS practice and an MBA would do me no good now at my point in my career to progress up in the firm.

The overall importance of an MBA to progress within a company seems to vary wildly depending on the industry/company/region. It's difficult to get a good idea of where it is important and where it is not.

That's something that continues to flummox a lot of potential MBA students: If I don't want to switch careers and if I am not in IB/Consutting, where it is built into my career progression, why should I bother?

It's a valid question. I don't know the answer.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'm still torn on the part-time program. That is how I did my MBA. My employer paid for part of it, and I actually TAed and was involved in other school activities while I was going, but when I graduated, my employer didn't seem eager to promote me, and I found it hard to change industries/functions because I didn't have any experience. I felt like the full-time program got the focus of the career center, and with internships in the target field/industry, it made it much easier for them.

kasper007

Reaction score

The overall importance of an MBA to progress within a company seems to vary wildly depending on the industry/company/region. It's difficult to get a good idea of where it is important and where it is not.

That's something that continues to flummox a lot of potential MBA students: If I don't want to switch careers and if I am not in IB/Consutting, where it is built into my career progression, why should I bother?

It's a valid question. I don't know the answer.

I think it really depends what you do and what your education / professional background is. I think it can be key in opening the door for middle / upper management for someone with a non business background (ie. an engineer), but I don't think it would add much value for someone with a business background (ie. someone in sales / finance, etc with a B. Comm / BBA). The education value of the MBA really varies depending on background and there's quite a range.

As for which program is best, I'd say unless you can get in a top 10 school or are sponsored, I would definitely recommend a PT local program with low tuition. I just don't see how you would get a good return on your tuition / time otherwise

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
proflex