• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Fit Advice

junglemike

Reaction score
I've been getting a bit buffer because I've been getting serious about rock climbing, and now my size 40 suits don't fit anymore...I still decided to get this navy hopsack suit from Spier & Mackay, because it was on sale, and I love the suit itself. But there are some obvious fit issues. Moving forward, 42 should probably be my new size (with some nipping at the waist probably?).
The suit was final sale, but I think I can still return the suit. However, a custom with this suiting would be more than 3x the price I paid for this. And even with suboptimal fit, I think I could wear this a little more casually with a T shirt, open?

I think the bump in the sleeve because of my wider shoulders is apparent. I don't think it's terrible, but it's obviously not "correct".
The pull at the button around the waist is not ideal, but it's not there if I straighten my posture a little bit. And with a tie, it's pretty tight around the waist, but there's still no strain. Add to that the fact that I'm pretty certain I can lose my love handles pretty soon. The only question is...will that ameliorate the tightness? Love handles are a little below the button, and the tightness is in my trunk, where I don't have a ton of fat.

So my questions are:
  1. How bad is the shoulder area? Inexcusable, or still serviceable?
  2. I know shoulders are notoriously hard to fix, but this has a 1/4 lining. Think it can be fixed by widening the upper back just a little bit? It looks like there's enough material along the middle seam
  3. Didn't notice the pull at the back of my suit until these pics were snapped. Is it because I'm so jacked now (heh, not really), or because of the fit, or because the tails haven't been snipped, yet? If fit, how do I fix it?
  4. Any opinions on the waist, and/or other areas along the suit would be appreciated!
Please excuse the bedhead, and thanks in advance for your input!

20240519_123216.jpg
20240519_123204.jpg

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
To my European eyes, this looks almost like a nice slim fit with a few minor adjustments:
- Let out the waist area.
- Make the sleeves a bit longer.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
My personal experience is that if you get a chance to buy something at a great price, but you're not sure about the size/fit, and you start telling yourself a story about how you will make it work.... that's your sub-conscious telling you it's not a good idea.

I would have had a lot more money to spend on clothes that actually fit me, if I had realised this earlier!

junglemike

Reaction score
I think you're right @TheIronDandy
I'm telling myself a story, because I love the color, material, and overall construction of the suit. But I think I belong in a 42 now, if I'm buying off the rack.
@The Noble Dandy , you don't see a problem with the shoulders? I think buying a bigger size and taking in the waist might be easier than the other way around. I did like the idea of bulging out of my suit just a little bit. But when I add a tie into the mix, it gets even less tenable, haha.

I haven't bought a 42 before. Looking at the site measurements, i might just need to take in the waist in both the jacket and the pants. Any initial thoughts?

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
I think you're right @TheIronDandy
I'm telling myself a story, because I love the color, material, and overall construction of the suit. But I think I belong in a 42 now, if I'm buying off the rack.
@The Noble Dandy , you don't see a problem with the shoulders? I think buying a bigger size and taking in the waist might be easier than the other way around. I did like the idea of bulging out of my suit just a little bit. But when I add a tie into the mix, it gets even less tenable, haha.

I haven't bought a 42 before. Looking at the site measurements, i might just need to take in the waist in both the jacket and the pants. Any initial thoughts?
Not really. This looks like an unstructured jacket so narrow shoulders look ok for me.

KOz

Reaction score
Order a 42 and compare. Nothing can substitute actually trying. Still think it's just a bad fit.

The Noble Dandy

Reaction score
Oh, are the rules different for unstructured jackets?
I was pretty set on returning it, but now I'm undecided, again...
I wouldn't say they are rules it's just that an unstructured jacket is usually more comfortable and you can wear a smaller size. Also, the question that nobody asked here: how do you feel wearing the jacket? Is it restricting your movements, do you feel like a herring in a barrel wearing it? If the answer to those questions is yes, you should definitely go for size 42.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NethTanyang