• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interior accents--taxidermies and bonsai

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The armadillo is the state mammal of Texas.

HOUSE CONCURRENT RESOLUTION
By Hunter of Taylor
H.C.R. No. 178

WHEREAS, The State of Texas traditionally has recognized a variety of official state symbols as tangible representations of the proud spirit and heritage of our state; and

WHEREAS, The bluebonnet, the pecan tree, the Guadalupe bass, and the lightning whelk are examples of some natural specimens that serve to symbolize the great diversity of the Texas landscape, while the state dish, chili, fittingly represents another aspect of our shared culture as Texans; and

WHEREAS, In keeping with this custom, the designation of an Official State Mammal of Texas has been the subject of an extensive statewide mock election participated in by hundreds of elementary school children throughout our state; and

WHEREAS, The two front-runners in this race have been the armadillo and the longhorn; and

WHEREAS, Once the cornerstone of the Texas cattle industry, an estimated 10 million longhorns were herded from Texas to midwestern and western markets during the quarter century that followed the Civil War, providing invaluable stability to the state's postwar economy; and

WHEREAS, The longhorn's distinctive profile commands an immediate association with the State of Texas nationwide and is fittingly used as a visual symbol by businesses from the Rio Grande Valley to the Panhandle; and

WHEREAS, The other candidate for designation as Official State Mammal, the armadillo, is a hardy, pioneering creature that chose to begin migrating here at about the time that Texas became a state; and

WHEREAS, the armadillo possesses many remarkable and unique traits, some of which parallel the attributes that distinguish a true Texan, such as a deep respect and need for the land, the ability to change and adapt, and a fierce undying love for freedom; and

WHEREAS, As proud and indomitable as the state from which they hail, both the longhorn and the armadillo will serve as fitting symbols of Texas' unique heritage; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the 74th Legislature of the State of Texas hereby designate the longhorn the official Large State Mammal of Texas and the armadillo the official Small State Mammal of Texas.

House Concurrent Resolution No. 178, 74th Legislature, Regular Session (1995)

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
double post

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Here you go:

armlargebv3.jpg

What is the black bear (?) to the right of the armadillo?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks matt. That's actually pretty cool and I just had an AC flashback (don't ask).

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks matt. That's actually pretty cool and I just had an AC flashback thanks to it (don't ask).

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
On a related subject:
I love the works of Walton Ford as throwbacks to Audubon and diaries of 19th c. travelers and naturalists.

That's my favorite Ford painting.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a cheap and dust-free alternative from the hand of Picasso:
bullshead.gif
Bull's Head, 1943. Also good for vegans, I suppose. I made my own replica a few years ago - people still compliment it, often without knowing about the original.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Here's a cheap and dust-free alternative from the hand of Picasso:

Bull's Head, 1943. Also good for vegans, I suppose.

I made my own replica a few years ago - people still compliment it, often without knowing about the original.

though, that saddle/seat is likely made of leather.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
though, that saddle/seat is likely made of leather.
Fair point, but you'd have to find an antique one for approx. authentcity.

emptym

Reaction score
^That first one is very funny and cute.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Another related segment would be the Chinese scholar's rocks which symbolize the lonely and elegant disdain of the ideal Chinese scholar:
Ah! This puts your love of "distain" in a new context. I'm now reminded of various Asian religions, and the Jesuit "indifferentia." Both of which I find legitimate, though dangerous if misunderstood and poorly practiced. How would you define distain? What are your influences?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
^That first one is very funny and cute.

Indeed, that piece is probably my favorite work by Cattelan. Then again, I do have a bit of a fetish for miniatures....

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
One forum member suggested I have the RJ cat stuffed at Deyrolle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads