• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boycott ebay Feb 18-25!

FabricOfSociety

Reaction score
eBay seems to feel it's lack of growth recently is due to the feedback system. It's not. It's due to rising eBay fees and eBay's lack of concern for both buyer's and seller's.

The change in the feedback system is, in my opinion, a good thing. Until eBay stops raising its fees AND makes a real effort to get rid of bogus eBay users (which it doesn't want to because they would lose fees), then eBay will not see growth.

Umm, here's my soapbox if anybody wants it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think you'll see as many sellers with 100 percent feedback, or close to. Buyers will feel free to leave negatives, even over trivial issues. Fraudulent sellers, meanwhile, will still artificially inflate their feedback. Ultimately, it may become harder for buyers to determine the reliability of a seller.
Exactly. This policy change is mostly going to affect sellers who have/need a perfect or nearly perfect feedback rating. The truly bad sellers don't really care about feedback. Many don't even bother with retaliatory feedback, they know that if they do enough volume their malfeasance just gets buried.

And those advocating the 'allow sellers to leave a neg in the first 24 hrs' policy need to think a little more
laugh.gif
That is effectively the same policy ebay is already introducing. All buyers are good buyers in the first 24 hours. Bidders that don't pay, bidders that make unreasonable demands, bidders that are rude and nasty, bidders that try to extort with the threat of negative feedback, bidders that fraudulently charge back or send fake money orders, etc., these do not manifest themselves until much later.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
This would be a tremendous improvement. Finally, feedback would actually mean something when buyers are not afraid of retaliation and can voice their true opinion on a transaction and seller.

Hey GQGeek, doesn't this remind you of the various futile attempts to "fix" pk/anti system in UO?
sly.gif

Merckx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Hey GQGeek, doesn't this remind you of the various futile attempts to "fix" pk/anti system in UO?
sly.gif

It reminds me of that, and also EQ's attempts to balance classes.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyways, as infuriating as the feedback change is for sellers, it is only a minor annoyance when compared to other policy changes.

For instance, under ebay's new 'dissatisfied buyer' policy, a dissatisfied buyer includes someone who gives a seller a 1 or 2 star rating in ANY of the four categories (accuracy of description, communication, shipping time, shipping charges.) You are required to keep your percentage of 'dissatisfied buyers' under 5% in each 30 day period, or else. For a seller doing modest volume like me, that means that it would only take 3 buyers in month to leave a 1 or 2 star rating in any category, even if they gave me five stars in every other category. The penalties include:

Effectively higher selling fees due to the loss of the 'good seller discount'

Lower exposure of your listings on ebay

Loss of powerseller status (which means 0 customer service if anything goes wrong)

Paypal can hold all incoming payments for 21 days at their discretion.

These policies are incredibly hostile to good, honest sellers. It puts the power directly in the hands of unreasonable and dishonest buyers, a small minority on ebay, allowing them to literally torpedo the businesses of good sellers. Truly, truly insane.

I think the paypal thing is the biggest misstep. If they suspend even one payment, ever, I will stop accepting paypal altogether and go to a online merchant credit card system.

If these policies stand, I think you will see a shift in the types of sellers on ebay. It will be come the province of amateurs listing random items on occasion, and huge, high-volume operations. Most of the small-to-medium sized professional selling operations, the exact kind that compose all the 'best seller' lists on this forum, will likely disappear. This WILL adversely affect you guys as buyers, believe me.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
If these policies stand, I think you will see a shift in the types of sellers on ebay. It will be come the province of amateurs listing random items on occasion, and huge, high-volume operations. Most of the small-to-medium sized professional selling operations, the exact kind that compose all the 'best seller' lists on this forum, will likely disappear.

I posted something similar is the last thread too. I'm hoping eBay back down a little or we're proven wrong. But I remain concerned.

At least there are other venues like right here for selling without needing eBay. But eBay does have that massive market at the end of the day.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
possibly the route to go would be to allow both parties to leave feedback, and not post the feedback or make it visible until both parties have left it, or a certain amount of time passes (2 weeks, or a month). thus, retaliation disappears, since neither party can see what the other party has left before they can enter their feedback.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
possibly the route to go would be to allow both parties to leave feedback, and not post the feedback or make it visible until both parties have left it, or a certain amount of time passes (2 weeks, or a month). thus, retaliation disappears, since neither party can see what the other party has left before they can enter their feedback.
I like that

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
If these policies stand, I think you will see a shift in the types of sellers on ebay. It will be come the province of amateurs listing random items on occasion, and huge, high-volume operations. Most of the small-to-medium sized professional selling operations, the exact kind that compose all the 'best seller' lists on this forum, will likely disappear. This WILL adversely affect you guys as buyers, believe me.

Quoting myself because I have something to add: These policies are being introduced because ebay thinks growth is slow. As a corporation they are of course primarily interested in more profit. Viewed in this context, their unconcern as to how this will affect smaller professional sellers is not surprising to me. Successful small-scale powersellers have most all been in business long enough to know how to minimize ebay and paypal's overall take. So ebay is not making a lot of money from them on the basis of sheer volume (listing fees,) nor are they taking an extra large percentage of the transaction (as they do with newbies who do not know the ropes.) So these types of sellers are far more valuable to buyers than they are to ebay. When they go, the biggest loss will be felt by the customers.

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FabricOfSociety
eBay seems to feel its lack of growth recently is due to the feedback system.
I doubt it. This is probably a move cooked up by their PR/marketing monkeys in which they make a problem-that-isn't, then draw attention to themselves fixing the "problem," thereby justifying yet another price hike on the service which they've monopolized. Yeah, I'm cynical. :p
It's not. It's due to rising eBay fees and eBay's lack of concern for both buyers and sellers.
+
The change in the feedback system is, in my opinion, a good thing. Until eBay stops raising its fees AND makes a real effort to get rid of bogus eBay users (which it doesn't want to because they would lose fees), then eBay will not see growth.
++

Karo

Reaction score
Don't just boycott ebay, ******* mancott them.

Ebay is just like bosses at my work, always changing **** without thinking it thru. I hate them both equally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads