• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guidelines to matching socks with dress pants

FashionMiami

Reaction score
What are the guidelines to matching socks with your suit? Are your socks suspose to match your pants but a shade lighter or darker? Or are your socks suspose to match your shoes? Example... navy blue slacks with dark brown shoes. What color socks? Ill take other examples that look good if u have any.

Merlino

Reaction score
Socks are one of the parts of a man's wardrobe that I find one can play around with, which means that you can match them with another item in your outfit (for example, your tie) for a more daring look or match them with the pants themselves for a more conservative look.

With navy blue slacks one can't go wrong with navy or charcoal socks but I like pale yellow socks paired with a yellow tie or soft pink socks, again paired with a pink tie.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have purposely started wearing loud socks to work. It's fun and no one really cares since they aren't visible most of the time.

raiderbuck

Reaction score
I think black socks with the navy is ok for a business setting. But in the evening or on weekends, spice it up with a different color.

FashionMiami

Reaction score
Ok, sounds like it really does not matter to much if your socks match since some people like wearing loud sock colors. If u want to be conservative wear socks same color as pants and if wana spice it up wear some color that looks good but still goes with outfit.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't see when solid black socks would ever look good.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I don't see when solid black socks would ever look good.

I must look like crap, then, because I have at least 6 pairs of basic black socks (a few with some detailing) that I wear with navy, gray or black slacks. Oh well.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FashionMiami
What about black socks with navy slacks and black shoes. Would that be ok or is that something to avoid.

Hell, I think black shoes are to be avoided with navy trousers. A much more aesthetically-pleasing option is burgundy or dark brown.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
Hell, I think black shoes are to be avoided with navy trousers. A much more aesthetically-pleasing option is burgundy or dark brown.

But wait, shouldn't you wear navy shoes with your navy socks and navy pants to lengthen the line of your leg? I mean, after all, we can't all afford to wear crazy colors; some of us have our careers to think about.

ephemeralcoherence

Reaction score
I'm definitely with you on this. After getting my first copy of Flusser's Dressing the Man, I've become somewhat obsessed with mixing different stripes (I tend to wear a lot of striped dress shirts). Throwing in another pattern with the socks--in my opinion--adds a nice little touch to the conventional business casual outfit.

mhdena

Reaction score
Wearing funny color socks looks dorky to me, case in point David Letterman always apears to wear white socks and unbuttoned double breasted suits. If you own your own company I guess you can do what you want. As for me I'll pair my socks (main color) to the slacks I'm wearing.

Dorky is also matching your socks to your tie or shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads